Flat bar Road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marcg868

Looking at Purchasing a flat bar Road bike. Will be for quiet country road jaunts, ride to the pub and a small section of canal which is smooth tarmac for 5 mile. I have tried drop bars in the past and just didn't like them.
It will be for casual road use as I'm a Mountain biker at heart.
Seen two bikes I like the look of,
Btwin Triban 520 flat bar
Cube Road Sl
Both are similar price wise but I do prefer discs on the Cube.
Any other options?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
VFM you can't beat the Triban. Lifetime frame warranty too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looking at Purchasing a flat bar Road bike. Will be for quiet country road jaunts, ride to the pub and a small section of canal which is smooth tarmac for 5 mile. I have tried drop bars in the past and just didn't like them.
It will be for casual road use as I'm a Mountain biker at heart.
Seen two bikes I like the look of,
Btwin Triban 520 flat bar
Cube Road Sl
Both are similar price wise but I do prefer discs on the Cube.
Any other options?
Try them out

OP
OP
M

marcg868

Tried the 520 it's nice but the cube has discs, slightly nicer colour and matches my mtb a Cube Stereo 120 Race.
I'm swaying more to the cube as it will take 35mm tyres.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
They are Hybrids basically then? Boardman 8.6 Hyb any cop?

I'm a big fan of Boardman bikes (I've got two) and would say it's well worth a look. Generally you get a lot of bike for your money and they seem to score consistently well when tested.

Halfords won't let you test ride one, but I'm sure that their sister company Cycle Republic will, if you have one of their stores nearby.

OP
OP
M

marcg868

I would have another Cx/gravel drop bar bike. I did a have a Merida Cyclocross 300, great bike but I got the wrong size (too big) so felt a bit unsafe.
I just couldn't afford one again.
Looked at the Voodoo Limba also.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
They are Hybrids basically then?

Any bike that wasn't designed specifically for MTB or track racing is, by definition, a "road bike" of some type! They are primarily designed to be ridden on roads. The term "hybrid" is, to a degree, a triumph of marketing over substance. Consider what a hybrid essentially is; namely a flat-bar derailleur geared bike that typically has triple chainring and similar gearing to a touring bike together with decent tyre clearances. Apart from possibly having a little more BB height and tyre clearances they aren't that much different from any other non-racing flat bar bike!

OP
OP
M

marcg868

I'm really hankering after the cube, Boardman hybrid or the cheap drop bar alternative the voodoo limba.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm really hankering after the cube, Boardman hybrid or the cheap drop bar alternative the voodoo limba.
As above try them out. If you really want the Cube what’s stopping you getting it?!

I’ve gof an older Boardman CX, it’s ok but pretty heavy compared to my Genesis which is my go to. I had to upgrade the disc brakes on the CX as the BB5s were awful and it has a pressfit BB which can creak

I had 2 Whyte R7s, Cambridge and Portobello and would buy again if was in flat bar market although
I’m not sure they have double chainsets these days and I’ve never tried a 1x11

Last edited:
Top Bottom