Flat bar widths and shoulder width.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Not on a bike that may get ridden in traffic I don't. Back in my teenage days I had drops on my Raleigh Arena 5 speed, and 99% of my miles were clocked up with me sitting up using the tops of the bars and the extension levers on the brakes. The only time I would ever use the drop position was if I was trying to make good time into a headwind and I would still only do it on roads where the traffic wasn't too dodgy. I reckon riding in a dropped position seriously reduces your view of the road compared with an upright stance, and compromises safety.
Only this week, a colleague at work driving in central London witnessed some Lycra Clown on a drop bar bike with all the gear on smash hard into the back of a Transit van that he had completely failed to notice had stopped in the traffic. The idiot apparently then wedged his head between the side of the van and a bus, much to the entertainment of onlookers.

Sorry, I was being mischievious rather than really giving advice. Well, it is still good advice, you doubtless you have reasons which I'll not argue with.

OP
OP
S

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The mischief wasn't lost on me! :tongue: I would be the first to admit that drops are more versatile bars and enable the rider to relieve fatigue on a long journey by varying hand hold positions. However, I'm not bothered about trying to maintain a high average speed by getting down low, and I'm unlikely to do journeys long enough to worry about fatigue.
When I'm out on the road, either in a motor vehicle or on a bike, I like to be nice and high up with a good view of what is going on around me.

Jason

Chopped a few bars over the years. Best advice I can give you is take off 1 inch (either side) at a time,and check the brakes/gears can move in BEFORE making any cuts!
Don't ask me how I know some flat bars are not the same diameter all the way along

Goggs

Guru
Chopped a few bars over the years. Best advice I can give you is take off 1 inch (either side) at a time,and check the brakes/gears can move in BEFORE making any cuts!
Don't ask me how I know some flat bars are not the same diameter all the way along

Yup, made that mistake myself once.

Top Bottom