FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colly

Re member eR
Weather looks not too bad. The forecast has it as a couple of showers and a bit cloudy. Temperature probably high teens.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks like Carrie and Kevin WILL be joining us. I don't know if they intend to drive over or come in from Leeds with @Littgull and me.

Having got absolutely soaked in Devon, I think I am immune to rain now, as long as the water isn't cold! I must try and wash my shoes before Saturday though. I stuffed them with newspaper after the deluge and dried them in front of a heater but they still smell a bit rank... :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Can we hold a whip round for @ColinJ , buy him some Febreeze ?
Just buy the saddle, then I can buy my own!

On second thoughts... don't buy the saddle. I would feel guilty charging you for it after you kindly gave me those tyres for my singlespeed bike. I wouldn't feel guilty charging someone else for it though! :laugh:

Let’s hope there is a tail wind and you’re leading out 👍🏻
You'd be getting the remnants of it; better for there to be a headwind and me to be wheelsucking at the back! :smile:

San Marco Rolls! San Marco Rolls! Get yer San Marco Rolls 'ere. Oi - you lot - form an orderly queue there!! :hello:

It looks like Carrie and Kevin WILL be joining us. I don't know if they intend to drive over or come in from Leeds with @Littgull and me.

Having got absolutely soaked in Devon, I think I am immune to rain now, as long as the water isn't cold! I must try and wash my shoes before Saturday though. I stuffed them with newspaper after the deluge and dried them in front of a heater but they still smell a bit rank... :laugh:
All looking good for Saturday. Current forecast (though that could change) shows light winds all day with a tailwind for the last part of the return leg and maybe some occasional light showers throughout.

Sorry to hear you had a lot of rain in Devon on your holiday Colin. Believe me, as a born and bred Devonian and having lived there for the first 32 years of my life it definitely rains a lot more in the North West!

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I rode the Struggle Moors sportive on Sunday & got rather wet going up Rosedale Chimney. Dry until just after halfway & totally soaked by the top :laugh: my shoes are still wet :blush: A photo taken shortly after I passed the photographer. Reckon I can't get any wetter this weekend :rolleyes:

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149100510@N05/51292877335/in/album-72157719498808548/lightbox/

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry to hear you had a lot of rain in Devon on your holiday Colin. Believe me, as a born and bred Devonian and having lived there for the first 32 years of my life it definitely rains a lot more in the North West!
That deluge happened on the way back from Exmouth. We had just managed to get to my niece's house when it was starting. We waited a while but it was obvious that it had settled in for the day so we just had to battle our way back in it.

There were a few showers on other days but we pretty much dodged them and we had some really nice sunny days down there. Overall, the weather felt changeable, but better than here.

See you at Todmorden station. I'll be catching the 07:43 train to Leeds but that doesn't stop in Littleborough on the way from Manchester so you will either have to come in on an earlier train or cycle to Tod.

I rode the Struggle Moors sportive on Sunday & got rather wet going up Rosedale Chimney. Dry until just after halfway & totally soaked by the top :laugh: my shoes are still wet :blush: A photo taken shortly after I passed the photographer. Reckon I can't get any wetter this weekend :rolleyes:

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149100510@N05/51292877335/in/album-72157719498808548/lightbox/

Ha ha - yes, it was like that, only without the climb!

Did you manage to get to the top of the savage climb without stopping or walking up any of it?

Oh, that's not too bad then Colin with a fair bit of sunny weather. I lived in Exmouth for 3 years (1983 - 1986). At the time it was the 4th largest town in Devon behind Plymouth, Exeter and Torquay (my home town). Yes, I'll probably get the 7.15 am train from Littleborough to get 'your' train from Tod instead of cycling the 6 miles because I'd have to leave home at virtually the same time if I cycled it! The gpx file seemed to come out at 0.5 miles short of the century but I'm sure we can gain the extra half mile during the day.

Blimey, 'hats off' to you for that @Soltydog. A big enough challenge riding up the Rosedale Chimney in good weather conditions!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The gpx file seemed to come out at 0.5 miles short of the century but I'm sure we can gain the extra half mile during the day.
Yes, you are right. I will get the extra in from home to Tod station and back anyway but you could still be a quarter of a mile short... It wouldn't be hard to add it, for anybody bothered about it!

Buck

Guru
Think the distance will be down to how the GPX calculates the turns etc. I've copied your route to Strava (copy attached) and it's just over the 100 mile. It will be what every distance we do on the day - 99, 100, 101. Whatever, it will be a good ride.

PS Have you contacted Cawood to confirm numbers with them as per post 42? They have marquees outside as well so should be good even if it is a little damp.

Attachments

• Garforth 100 mile.gpx
    265.9 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Think the distance will be down to how the GPX calculates the turns etc. I've copied your route to Strava (copy attached) and it's just over the 100 mile. It will be what every distance we do on the day - 99, 100, 101. Whatever, it will be a good ride.
I have limited my track to 499 points because my old Garmin Etrex has a 500 point limit due to having a very limited memory capacity. That means approximating the shape of roads with a limited number of straight segments. Your Strava file is more detailed with > 6 times as many points and more closely follows the roads, and is therefore longer. Like this... Strava gpx in purple, my Etrex gpx in green.

PS Have you contacted Cawood to confirm numbers with them as per post 42? They have marquees outside as well so should be good even if it is a little damp.
No, but I was going to do it on Thursday once I have taken a final count. There are still a few people who haven't yet been able to confirm or cancel.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Did you manage to get to the top of the savage climb without stopping or walking up any of it?
Sadly not :sad: I'd like to blame it on the whole line of riders ahead of me that dismounted & walked, but my legs just weren't up to it. I'd done the White Rose Classic the previous Sunday, 120 miles & over 12000ft of climbing & not rested sufficiently through the week, so by the time I got to Rosedale on Sunday, I'd done around 8000ft of climbing & my legs were toast. I walked a little bit, but when the heavens opened it prompted me to get back on & ride up the remainder :laugh: We had a camper van awaiting us in the car park just before the summit with the kettle on :okay:
Still struggling a little today, just been out for a gentle 20 mile spin & it was a slog. 🤞I'm ok for the weekend. I'm confident I can do a flat 100 both Saturday & Sunday :rolleyes:

Top Bottom