FLAT imperial century (metric century option) from Garforth, Saturday 10th July 2021

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I rode the Struggle Moors sportive on Sunday & got rather wet going up Rosedale Chimney. Dry until just after halfway & totally soaked by the top :laugh: my shoes are still wet :blush: A photo taken shortly after I passed the photographer. Reckon I can't get any wetter this weekend :rolleyes:

View: https://www.flickr.com/photos/149100510@N05/51292877335/in/album-72157719498808548/lightbox/

Oh my word, the Chimney is bad enough in the dry. Good place for a photographer though, it not like anyone is going to fly past you, so loads of time to capture the agony etched into peoples faces and the odd slow tumble off....

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sadly not :sad: I'd like to blame it on the whole line of riders ahead of me that dismounted & walked, but my legs just weren't up to it. I'd done the White Rose Classic the previous Sunday, 120 miles & over 12000ft of climbing & not rested sufficiently through the week, so by the time I got to Rosedale on Sunday, I'd done around 8000ft of climbing & my legs were toast. I walked a little bit, but when the heavens opened it prompted me to get back on & ride up the remainder :laugh: We had a camper van awaiting us in the car park just before the summit with the kettle on :okay:
Still struggling a little today, just been out for a gentle 20 mile spin & it was a slog. 🤞I'm ok for the weekend. I'm confident I can do a flat 100 both Saturday & Sunday :rolleyes:
Ah, never mind. My superfit tiny cycling pal Carrie is a superb climber but even she failed on the steepest section of that climb. She blamed it on being on her winter bike which is heavier than her normal bike and didn't have a low enough bottom gear.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

LATEST LIST OF RIDERS:
  • ColinJ
  • Carrie and Kevin (friends of mine; not CC members)
  • Buck
  • Littgull
  • Julia9054 and Al
  • Soltydog
  • Domus
  • Slioch
  • si_c
  • colly
  • neil_merseyside
Even if only half of those above turn up, it would be a good turnout, and anybody else who would like to join us is welcome to (let us know below)!

I'll probably get the 7.15 am train from Littleborough to get 'your' train from Tod instead of cycling the 6 miles because I'd have to leave home at virtually the same time if I cycled it!
Wise move - cycling here at 7:15 wouldn't have allowed enough time to fix a puncture if Sod's Law kicked in!

San Marco Rolls! San Marco Rolls! Get yer San Marco Rolls classic saddle 'ere. Oi - you lot - form an orderly queue there!! :hello:

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Apologies, my wife has had it confirmed she's working this Saturday which means I am on dad-duties and cannot ride.
That's a pity, but there will be other rides in the near future.

I hope everyone has a great ride and I hope to join you next time.
Thanks - we'll do our best!

I'm hoping to organise the Humber Bridge ride again this year, maybe in about a month's time. (That is assuming that we are still allowed to cycle over then. I believe that recent restrictions due to large numbers of suicides have now been removed during the day.) Watch this space. Actually, watch a space near to this space (elsewhere in the rides forum)...

Domus

Guru
Just back from a sedate 42 Kms. Bike checked over seems OK. Not going to get any fitter/ slimmer. Whether I can manage the long route remains to be seen.
I aim to be at the station at 09.00 ish. Car park on Google maps looks enormous. Will be in Blue Skoda. :hello: Hope the showers ar very light and very infrequent.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Just back from a sedate 42 Kms. Bike checked over seems OK. Not going to get any fitter/ slimmer. Whether I can manage the long route remains to be seen.
I aim to be at the station at 09.00 ish. Car park on Google maps looks enormous. Will be in Blue Skoda. :hello: Hope the showers ar very light and very infrequent.
I'm sure that you will have no problem whatsoever!

One thing I may have forgotten to point out is that if the weather turns out to be way worse than forecast, there is always the option of taking the shortcut back. We'd still have got a good metric century in. Anybody putting the longer route on their GPS would be wise to add the shorter route too, just-in-case.

Oops - I forgot to phone Cawood... I'll be back!

Nobody answered at Cawood Park. I don't want to mess about with voicemail so I'll make a pot of coffee and then try again...
Are any other stops planned? On the few 100's I've done we've usually stopped at 25*3 or at 33*2 but if it's 50*1 I might need to pack extra supplies!

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Not sure where else @ColinJ might have planned but there's a self-service cafe at Apple Blossom Camping & Caravan Park about 2km before Snaith (maybe too early after Cawood) and you'll go nearby Birkin Fisheries just before the 100km point.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Are any other stops planned? On the few 100's I've done we've usually stopped at 25*3 or at 33*2 but if it's 50*1 I might need to pack extra supplies!
Cawood Park is at 66 km (41 miles). Last time I took enough drink to get me there and then refilled my bottles to get me back.

I think we stopped for our own snacks on the short section of offroad that gets us to Topham. That is at 103 km (64 miles). There were other brief stops every now and then while people had pee stops behind hedges so there were plenty more opportunities for snacking.

I'm going to be carrying a pack of shortbread for emergency snacks and always carry DIY energy drinks on the bike.

If we spot somewhere else still open around Campsall/Norton (at the 125 km / 78 mile point) then we could stop there too but I wouldn't count on it. I suggest that we should all be able to get to Cawood on what we have for breakfast (plus any snacks needed). Eat as much as you want/need there and carry enough drinks and snacks to last another 95 km / 59 miles.

Not sure where else @ColinJ might have planned but there's a self-service cafe at Apple Blossom Camping & Caravan Park about 2km before Snaith (maybe too early after Cawood) and you'll go nearby Birkin Fisheries just before the 100km point.
Snaith IS a bit soon after Cawood (only 90 minutes or so even at our planned casual pace). The Fisheries would have been a good bet but they close at 3 pm and we will be significantly after that. Thanks anyway though!

Ah, I was given another number to ring for Cawood Park and just got through. I told the manager that 13 or 14 of us plan to turn up 12:30-13:00 (ish) on Saturday and he was fine with that. He said that the breakfast menu would be finished by then but he was sure that somebody would knock up some bacon butties, that kind of thing, if wanted. There will be sandwiches, flapjack, cake etc. Tea, coffee...

Top Bottom