flea treatment for cats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Frontline is ok - but its active ingredients (fipronil) *is* losing its effectiveness in certain parts of the UK. So if you do use Frontline, you need to be aware of that fact.

I use Advocate for the girls as Lexi has a bad flea allergy and Frontline isn't hacking it very well here. Unfortunately it's POM so I get a script from the vets and buy it online (VetUK). Upsides is that it's a combination flea & wormer, so it's actually less faff.

You do need to keep flea treatment up, as a) fleas in the house are a pain to eradicate and b) fleas are carriers of tapeworm

Would also suggest a wormer. Something like Drontal.

OP
OP
roadrash

roadrash

cycle chatterer
@Reynard would you recommend tablets or spot on treatments for worming

postman

Legendary Member
Get down to one of many pet stores.My mate took his cat to a vet for flea treatment,what a charge he went bonkers,bought flea treatment from a local pet store the next dose.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
@Kestevan probably would need more than 2 bricks I don't know what weight you are
Best get a skip full. :smile:

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
@Reynard would you recommend tablets or spot on treatments for worming

That would depend on your cats. :blush:

I'm lucky, I can pill mine no problem should I need to. There is a technique to it however - I learnt this from friends involved in rescue with many more years experience than me.

1) Back the cat into the corner of an armchair or sofa so it can't reverse / escape.
2) With your non-dominant hand, gently (but firmly) grasp the cat with your palm over its head and your fingers alongside its jaw.
3) Bring the head right back - doing this will make the cat open its mouth by reflex.
4) Hold the pill in your dominant hand between index finger and thumb.
5) Use your middle finger to hold the lower jaw down - and the mouth open wide.
6) Chuck the pill right to the back of the cat's mouth.
7) Close the mouth - and hold the muzzle closed until the cat swallows. Massaging the throat helps.
8) Let the cat go.
9) Be prepared for the waves of feline disapproval.

If you can't pill your cats, then a spot on wormer should be fine. I do know that Drontal now do a spot on wormer, but I can't remember whether it's POM or not... The tablets aren't though.

Get down to one of many pet stores.My mate took his cat to a vet for flea treatment,what a charge he went bonkers,bought flea treatment from a local pet store the next dose.

Pet store flea and worm treatments are next to useless. Most OTC stuff sold in pet shops and supermarkets will only repel fleas, not kill them. You need to kill fleas to break the cycle. And to prevent an infestation in the house.

And under no circumstances use a dog flea treatment on a cat.

Top Bottom