Flexing back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As an aside, but what is the depth of these new wheels? There have been some reports of deeper section (50s) Hunt aero wheels being implicated in scarey high speed bike wobble. The 50s work well as a back wheel, but personally from the reports I've read, I definitely wouldn't ride with one on the front, especially in windy conditions.

Any deep section will be affected - wind direction etc...

My advice, if you are riding in hilly conditions regularly, potentially windy, avoid deep section wheels. Simple.

I was on a hilly Sportive a few years ago, where the guys on deep section aero wheels had to turn back near Flash (Buxton way) as the wind was that bad. It was hard enough on a skinny steel bike with standard aero rims (20mm) !

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
As an aside, but what is the depth of these new wheels? There have been some reports of deeper section (50s) Hunt aero wheels being implicated in scarey high speed bike wobble. The 50s work well as a back wheel, but personally from the reports I've read, I definitely wouldn't ride with one on the front, especially in windy conditions.

I have the alloy aero wide so 31 rims

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A careful inspection should reveal where the problem lies. Unless the spokes are ridiculously loose my money is on the bearings. If you’re not sure just send them back.

Even tight wheels will flex a little. Adjust rim brakes close enough and you will notice it when honking.

Last edited:

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
Either play in the bearings, I think there is a small amount of preload adjustability, but spoke tension may also cause the problem. I'm on the opposite side of the Peak for me to look at them, but I'm sure your LBS would be able to diagnose the issue fairly quickly...

Hunt Wheels - the epitome of good marketing 🤷‍♂️

Send them back and buy a lovely pair of hand build wheels 😜

OP
OP
thunderlips76

thunderlips76

climbs for cake
Even tight wheels will flex a little. Adjust rims brakes close enough and you will notice it when honking.

Yeah this is why I need to ride abit more, the wide rims basically meant I had to slacken both brake cables to get the wheels on. So maybe that’s the issue

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Send them back and buy a lovely pair of hand build wheels 😜

That would be my answer. It's alright to have fancy wheels with their aero advantages and I've been down that road, but unless you are racing how much difference does it actually make? Handbuilts are reliable and easy to maintain, all the components can be replaced if they break or wear and the only downside is having the occasional fashion cyclist sneer at them, something which you can comfort yourself with the knowledge they don't know what the feck they are talking about.

95kg or 15 stone is not an abnormal weight. That isn't the problem. There is something wrong with the wheels.

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
That would be my answer. It's alright to have fancy wheels with their aero advantages and I've been down that road, but unless you are racing how much difference does it actually make? Handbuilts are reliable and easy to maintain, all the components can be replaced if they break or wear and the only downside is having the occasional fashion cyclist sneer at them, something which you can comfort yourself with the knowledge they don't know what the feck they are talking about.

If the Pubs were open, I'd offer to buy you a pint 🍻

🐝

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Any deep section will be affected - wind direction etc...

My advice, if you are riding in hilly conditions regularly, potentially windy, avoid deep section wheels. Simple.

I was on a hilly Sportive a few years ago, where the guys on deep section aero wheels had to turn back near Flash (Buxton way) as the wind was that bad. It was hard enough on a skinny steel bike with standard aero rims (20mm) !
This kind of thing...? :whistle: (Above Marsden)

I like the comment and evil laugh at 3:10 in...:laugh:

Top Bottom