Flexing back wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Was looking at the spec and trying to work out how you get 21 spokes in a wheel? Maybe they left some out by mistake....
Rear wheel, 7x2 on the drive side (which needs more tension), 7x1 on the other.

My Khamsins work like that but I think they have 27 spokes on the rear.

(Confirmed - 27)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Was looking at the spec and trying to work out how you get 21 spokes in a wheel? Maybe they left some out by mistake....

Certainly a weird lacing pattern to achieve it

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Certainly a weird lacing pattern to achieve it
Possibly 14 crossed on drive side and 7 radial on non-driveside? Spec just says 21 x 2 cross, but I'm sure crossed spokes can only be in pairs, hence no odd numbers?

Just looked at the pictures and it is a hybrid crossed & radial mix. Maybe a wheel that is so clearly targeted at minimum weight really isn't suitable for us 95kg powerhouses? 60kg racing snakes only.....

vickster

Legendary Member
100kg max weight so close to that. 60 day return period

All HUNT wheels models have to pass our harsh cobbled-rolling-road tests for rider weight limits, please see here for more details. 100kgs is the upper recommended rider weight limit for these wheels. Please include the weight of any luggage in your total rider weight when choosing the correct wheels. If a rider is over 90Kgs then an experienced bike mechanic should check the wheel regularly and it is advisable to use minimum 25mm tyres at max 100psi as this will reduce the fatigue on the wheelset. We are cyclists ourselves and do of course go above and beyond to offer excellent service if you ever do experience any issues. We carry full spares at very reasonable prices and offer complete support.

60 Day Ride & Return Period. We are certain you'll be impressed by the acceleration, low-weight, speed and durability of our wheels. We are cyclists and as such strive to offer class leading service and support. Buy with confidence, if for any reason you wish to return the wheels for a full refund of your order you can do so up to a full 60 days after you receive them whether they have been ridden or not. Please note we cannot offer refunds on wheels that have suffered from crash damage but do offer a crash replacement discount.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
95kg plus weight of bike (let alone full bottles, under-seat bag, mudguards, pump, lights) is well over 100kg. Not fit for the OP's purpose.
Lacing pattern on rear (21 spokes) is as per Skolly's guess and Colin's example: 14 (2-crossed) on right and 7 radial on left - NB not 'weird'. Not surprised it's flexing like a bendy thing under that load, with the OP's immense power and not enough spokes.

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Many wheels do this if you're a bit of a torque monster. The pros often go up mountains with the rear brake QR open, or they did before discs. It's worse if the frame has a flexible rear end.

I've also had this at the front, but in that case it is usually the fork to blame.

Beespoke

23yrs of tying hubs & rims together
Many wheels do this if you're a bit of a torque monster. The pros often go up mountains with the rear brake QR open, or they did before discs. It's worse if the frame has a flexible rear end.

I've also had this at the front, but in that case it is usually the fork to blame.

Pro's do open up the calipers on climbs but then, pro's also ride what they are given, not necessarily what they themselves would want to ride... I build unbranded training wheels up for a number of pro's because what they are given for training is trendy crap...

Those hunt wheels running 21 or 14:7 spokes in the rear wheel are evidently pushing the beyond the boundaries of practicality in the real world for a lot of riders. Yet their marketing suggests otherwise. I'd much rather "for no more money than the OP's initial purchase" build a 28 or 32 hole rear wheel and a 24 or 28 front wheel for a customer knowing its not going to be returning with any issues, and when the rims eventually wears out, I won't be ripping off the customer "in Hunts case" with a very specific replacement rim.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Chapeau for not adding a link to
Beespoke wheels , Chris
Edit:
1612028479236.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom