Flickering bathroom light problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The housing association say it's not an emergency,so it'll be about 2 weeks before they can fix it. I can't wait that long so I'm going to try and fix it like I did with my knackered boiler back in February.:unsure: I've taken the cover off and had a fiddle round. I can't get the light to move,but the starter thingy comes out.
What will be the problem,the neon light or the little starter thingy? 🤔

Rub your hand on the tube, and see if it comes on. If it does, and it's dark at the ends even if it's been on a while, it's the tube. Starters are cheap enough, just by another and try it, or swap it with another in the house, and see if the problem swaps to that lamp.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Rub your hand on the tube, and see if it comes on. If it does, and it's dark at the ends even if it's been on a while, it's the tube. Starters are cheap enough, just by another and try it, or swap it with another in the house, and see if the problem swaps to that lamp.
The tube has about 2 inches of black on it (slightly visible in the top photo). Trouble is i can't get the tube out. I don't want to force it and break the whole light.

The tube has about 2 inches of black on it (slightly visible in the top photo). Trouble is i can't get the tube out. I don't want to force it and break the whole light.

If you hold the white box in the middle, and gently but firmly pull down, slightly one side than the other, you should be fine. Just make sure the power is off just in case.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The "double D" bulb should come out by pulling it straight down, gripping it by the centre bit. It's held in by 4 pins.
The "double D" bulb should come out by pulling it straight down, gripping it by the centre bit. It's held in by 4 pins.

Thanks! It came out quite easy. As you can see it's black(ish) in the photo's.

Attachments

• 20210714_185815.jpg
    20210714_185815.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The starter just twists out. The 'tube' will just pull out.

I assume the HA usually cover these costs ?
I'm not going to ask them to pay for a new tube etc. I'm not that tight!:rolleyes: :okay:. I would've asked my electrician friend to come and fix it,but unfortunately he fell over the other day outside a shop and banged his head. Poor lad,they turned his life support off the following day and now he's led in a funeral home fridge,aged just 45!:sad:

Top Bottom