Flight Sim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Does anyone do any flight simming? Fancy having a crack but don't really know where to start.

I've had a look at Flightgear, whichnis free (free is good!) and fancy learning how to fly a 172 from scratch, and then learnig more advanced stuff fro there.

sight-pin

Veteran
If you head over to Twitch tv, you can view real pilots flying with Microsoft flight sim.
I use FSX through Steam as my laptop can't run Microsoft's latest version,

si_c

Guru
MS Flight Sim is usually touted as the gold standard and with the 2020 release more so - some of the setups people use with this are insane - you can get borderline full cockpits setup.

From what I understand flight gear is really good for those getting into it or with low end hardware, can't hurt to just give it a go.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
You seem like the attack chopper type drago. Someone i know in his 50's got into DCS world i think it is. Flying a Russian Kamov ka 50, all sorts of clickable switches beyond my understanding, I think he was flying a huey on one occasion, not sure... Seems interesting but I don't have the time...

midlife

Guru
Son uses Microsoft flight Sim, apparently it links in with Google maps to allow you to fly almost anywhere. Sent some screen shots of him flying over our house :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might like to fly a real one, not full size but a model. All-in-one-box-models are very inexpensive now and electric power means clean, unless you like the smell and sound of nitro.
Also gets you out of the house into the fresh air rather than stuck inside looking at a pc screen.
If you like building stuff there's still plenty of old fashioned kits about and almost-ready-to-fly is a good halfway house.
There are model flight Sims which allows you to connect a controller so you try before fly.
I used to love slope soaring which I found very relaxing, just you, the model and the forces of nature.
1610545662034.png

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
MS Flight Sim is usually touted as the gold standard and with the 2020 release more so - some of the setups people use with this are insane - you can get borderline full cockpits setup.

From what I understand flight gear is really good for those getting into it or with low end hardware, can't hurt to just give it a go.

And he'd need a couple of grand spare for the PC !

Jody

Stubborn git
Also gets you out of the house into the fresh air rather than stuck inside looking at a pc screen.

If only we were allowed.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
My Dad flies, has his own plane. He'd only ever "flown" big jets on his PC, but once had the chance to "fly" a genuine 757 pilot training simulator - I think it belongs to Bruce Dickinson.

Anyhho, the instructor reckoned he landed it pretty good. Not the smoothest he'd ever seen, but not so bad that it would have got the pilot in trouble in any way or damage the aircraft.

He reckons big jets would be easier to take off and land than tail draggers, becaude you can actually see ahead of you when flying at a high angle kf attack or when taxiing.

Top Bottom