1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flight to California booked - I am cycling from there to Florida

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by jay clock, 8 Nov 2017.

1. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

It has been a long time coming but I have just booked the flight for San Diego on 25 February. Aiming to spend 8-10 weeks cycling to Florida. Doing it with two friends, one of whom did it in 2016 (he did the Trans Am, we are doing Southern Tier)

www.usacycle2018.com links to my Crazy Guy journals - being updated over next few weeks

• Like Like x 22
    Last edited: 9 Nov 2017
  2. Debade

Debade Well-Known Member

Have a great trip. It is a good ride!

• Like Like x 1
  3. marzjennings

marzjennings Veteran

Sounds like a great adventure. I don't know your route, but the shortest route takes you fully across Texas and there's not much to see from El Paso to Houston. A lot open space filled with frac'ing trucks and drill crews driving 90 on the back roads. I'd bend north through Santa Fe (one of my favourite towns in the US) and the Texas panhandle, through Amarillo. You'll still see some of Texas without spending a whole week riding across it.

Also avoid riding too close to the Mexico border unless you like showing your passport every 50 miles. US border patrol set up passport controls points generally 90-100 miles inside the border and not just on the actual boarder.

• Like Like x 3
  4. raleighnut

raleighnut Guru

Happy Trails. :becool:

• Like Like x 2
  5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah Staff Member

Great stuff. You lucky man Jay. I'll be following your blog with interest. USA coast to coast is top of my bucket list.

• Like Like x 1
  6. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

It is a bucket list because I will be 56 but was diagnosed with a long term medical condition that whilst it makes no immediate difference means that I cannot accurately predict that in my mid 60s I will still be up to it! So now is the time.

Re the route @marzjennings I am going with two friends and we have agreed that we will stick to the Southern Tier from ACA. I have read dozens of CGOAB journals and 99% goes on quiet roads.

• Like Like x 7
  7. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

Worth adding that I am doing a half Ironman in mid May, so at least my cycling legs should be ready. Unlikely to swim even once, and the theory is that I run once a week on my "rest" day! But I am fully aware that may be a challenge....

• Like Like x 2
  8. Bollo

Bollo Gas Giant Staff Member

Good stuff J. I love a good road trip but have only ever managed short and sharp credit-card touring on the bike. Are you camping or treating yourself to some accommodation?

I'll try and make it out on one of your rides before you go.

• Like Like x 1
  9. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

blog here https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1p6&doc_id=20340&v=R

• Like Like x 1
  10. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

@Bollo I am going with two other people (Peter who did the Trans Am last year and Poppy who you don't know). Plan is to camp as much as possible - my ideal is a hotel every 5-6 days. And I prefer not to have to cook. But a new tent is on order (MSR Hubba Hubba NX). I have two possible sleeping bags already - both PHD, and a very nice Exped Synmat. Bike is my Koga Miyata World Traveller (good nick but will go for new tyres)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Will follow your progress with interest.
    Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jimidh

Jimidh Über Member

That sounds like an awesome trip - hope it goes well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

Are you an ACA member? It's probably worth signing up if you're not.

• Like Like x 1
  14. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

s
    I had a look and it is $65 and the only major benefit I can see is map discount. And I already ordered the maps!

15. Regulator

Regulator Political refugee. Fan of Adrian.

There's quite a support network that ACA members can access - plus discounts with various US retailers and shops.

• Like Like x 2