Flight to California booked - I am cycling from there to Florida

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Debade

Über Member
Have a great trip. It is a good ride!

Sounds like a great adventure. I don't know your route, but the shortest route takes you fully across Texas and there's not much to see from El Paso to Houston. A lot open space filled with frac'ing trucks and drill crews driving 90 on the back roads. I'd bend north through Santa Fe (one of my favourite towns in the US) and the Texas panhandle, through Amarillo. You'll still see some of Texas without spending a whole week riding across it.

Also avoid riding too close to the Mexico border unless you like showing your passport every 50 miles. US border patrol set up passport controls points generally 90-100 miles inside the border and not just on the actual boarder.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Great stuff. You lucky man Jay. I'll be following your blog with interest. USA coast to coast is top of my bucket list.
It is a bucket list because I will be 56 but was diagnosed with a long term medical condition that whilst it makes no immediate difference means that I cannot accurately predict that in my mid 60s I will still be up to it! So now is the time.

Re the route @marzjennings I am going with two friends and we have agreed that we will stick to the Southern Tier from ACA. I have read dozens of CGOAB journals and 99% goes on quiet roads.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Worth adding that I am doing a half Ironman in mid May, so at least my cycling legs should be ready. Unlikely to swim even once, and the theory is that I run once a week on my "rest" day! But I am fully aware that may be a challenge....

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Good stuff J. I love a good road trip but have only ever managed short and sharp credit-card touring on the bike. Are you camping or treating yourself to some accommodation?

I'll try and make it out on one of your rides before you go.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
@Bollo I am going with two other people (Peter who did the Trans Am last year and Poppy who you don't know). Plan is to camp as much as possible - my ideal is a hotel every 5-6 days. And I prefer not to have to cook. But a new tent is on order (MSR Hubba Hubba NX). I have two possible sleeping bags already - both PHD, and a very nice Exped Synmat. Bike is my Koga Miyata World Traveller (good nick but will go for new tyres)

Top Bottom