Flight to California booked - I am cycling from there to Florida

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Best of luck, and have a happy trip. I think you'll enjoy it greatly. Yes, El Paso and Del Rio, you'll probably run into border patrol. Some of that can happen anywhere in the States, though. Not really a big deal, keep a close eye on your passport.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
The only serious risk is road accident of some sort. Border patrol isn't a concern at all.

It is a bucket list because I will be 56 but was diagnosed with a long term medical condition that whilst it makes no immediate difference means that I cannot accurately predict that in my mid 60s I will still be up to it! So now is the time.

Re the route @marzjennings I am going with two friends and we have agreed that we will stick to the Southern Tier from ACA. I have read dozens of CGOAB journals and 99% goes on quiet roads.
Great route, you'll pass through Marfa a great small town. Middle of nowhere. If you planning on where to take the odd rest day, Marfa wouldn't be a bad spot. Plus while you're there check out the Marfa lights.
It's interesting you're passing through Navasota, a dodgy little town with a violent wild west history. If you camp there I'd sleep on my bike to keep it safe. Not far east of there is Coldspring, on your route, there's a camp ground near there called Double Lake, great showers and you can get nice spots overlooking the lake.

Crankarm

Guru
@Bollo I am going with two other people (Peter who did the Trans Am last year and Poppy who you don't know). Plan is to camp as much as possible - my ideal is a hotel every 5-6 days. And I prefer not to have to cook. But a new tent is on order (MSR Hubba Hubba NX). I have two possible sleeping bags already - both PHD, and a very nice Exped Synmat. Bike is my Koga Miyata World Traveller (good nick but will go for new tyres)

Why not buy the the tent in the US? It would probably be cheaper there, MSR being a US brand.

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Why not buy the the tent in the US? It would probably be cheaper there, MSR being a US brand.
because I will have one day in San Diego and frankly don't want the hassle of risking that they have it in stock in the green I want. The off white is far more common in the US. REI have it (off white) for £305 without the footprint and I can get it for £331 inc the footprint here..... in fact going to order now!

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
also have ordered a pair of Ryde Sputnik rims with Deore LX hubs to be built by Spa Cycles https://www.ryde.nl/sputnik -probably overkill as old ones have done about 10k KM but the rear one has a dent and I prefer to start with a clean slate so to speak!

and a new pair of Schwalbe Marathons have arrived at under £44 for the pair from Halfords

blog updated a little www.usacycle2018.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Tent sorted.....
1420643218-90762200.jpg

OP
OP
jay clock

jay clock

Massive member
Enjoy it. We did E to west cos, we just did. Earlier this year. Highlight? Texas Hills.
cheers @albal - I have read all your blogs! I would have enjoyed the E to W option (scenery gets better as you go) but theoretically we have a better chance of good winds, plus the friends I am going with had already booked and I am really delighted to have their company

albal

Guru
Thanks for the hits! I,ll keep an eye on your trip. We were aware of the jet stream from the west & subsequently lots of riders miffed by our decision to head west as we passed through Texas. That sure is a tough start for you, be prepared.
Funny they weren't interested when we ex[lained we had favourable winds in Florida and Louisiana!.
You'll love it.

John Peel

Great tent, mine has been manhandled on all types of ground and weather over the last 3 months, I have the footprint too and not a rip or dicky zip and everything stays dry, even in nearly 2 weeks of constant rain. I have the gear shed too which has been a huge bonus for hiding my bike and wet gear in at times. Really easy to fit to the main tent in minutes and you wouldn't know there was a bike in there. Should be a great trip

Top Bottom