1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flight to California booked - I am cycling from there to Florida

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by jay clock, 8 Nov 2017.

1. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Sounds like a great trip - enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

good luck with this trip, will try to follow the blog.

8-10 weeks off sounds great

• Like Like x 1
  3. Best of luck, and have a happy trip. I think you'll enjoy it greatly. Yes, El Paso and Del Rio, you'll probably run into border patrol. Some of that can happen anywhere in the States, though. Not really a big deal, keep a close eye on your passport.

• Like Like x 2
  4. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

The only serious risk is road accident of some sort. Border patrol isn't a concern at all.

5. marzjennings

marzjennings Veteran

Great route, you'll pass through Marfa a great small town. Middle of nowhere. If you planning on where to take the odd rest day, Marfa wouldn't be a bad spot. Plus while you're there check out the Marfa lights.
    It's interesting you're passing through Navasota, a dodgy little town with a violent wild west history. If you camp there I'd sleep on my bike to keep it safe. Not far east of there is Coldspring, on your route, there's a camp ground near there called Double Lake, great showers and you can get nice spots overlooking the lake.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Crankarm

Crankarm Guru

Why not buy the the tent in the US? It would probably be cheaper there, MSR being a US brand.

• Like Like x 1
  7. albal

albal Über Member

Enjoy it. We did E to west cos, we just did. Earlier this year. Highlight? Texas Hills.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kevin_cambs_uk

kevin_cambs_uk Veteran

That’s a long way round to visit Disney World mate!!

• Like Like x 1
  9. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Maybe he's not keen on EuroDisney.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kevin_cambs_uk

kevin_cambs_uk Veteran

That is understandable
    WDW is vastly superior

• Like Like x 1
  11. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

because I will have one day in San Diego and frankly don't want the hassle of risking that they have it in stock in the green I want. The off white is far more common in the US. REI have it (off white) for £305 without the footprint and I can get it for £331 inc the footprint here..... in fact going to order now!

12. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

also have ordered a pair of Ryde Sputnik rims with Deore LX hubs to be built by Spa Cycles https://www.ryde.nl/sputnik -probably overkill as old ones have done about 10k KM but the rear one has a dent and I prefer to start with a clean slate so to speak!

and a new pair of Schwalbe Marathons have arrived at under £44 for the pair from Halfords

blog updated a little www.usacycle2018.com

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: 14 Nov 2017
  13. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

Tent sorted..... 1420643218-90762200.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Stephenite

Stephenite Membå

This is exactly the kind of trip i'd like to do! Enjoy it!

• Like Like x 3
  15. OP
    OP
    jay clock

jay clock Massive member

cheers @albal - I have read all your blogs! I would have enjoyed the E to W option (scenery gets better as you go) but theoretically we have a better chance of good winds, plus the friends I am going with had already booked and I am really delighted to have their company

• Like Like x 2