Flood alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
The UK 24 hour rainfall record was broken that weekend. Around 14 inches of rain fell near Shap in one day. Explains why the rivers couldn't cope and overflowed.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The UK 24 hour rainfall record was broken that weekend. Around 14 inches of rain fell near Shap in one day. Explains why the rivers couldn't cope and overflowed.
Aye. There's a testing station up at Caton which records the depth of the Lune...
2727200_bbac7170.jpg

...being on the flood plain, they put it on a pedestal. On Saturday night/Sunday morning it stopped recording as it too was overwhelmed.

This was taken at around 10am Sunday morning after the river level had dropped considerably.
12294670_10153316198746173_314600800011342660_n.jpg

Apparently its previous highest level was just over 7m back in 1995. In the early hours of Sunday morning it stopped reporting after reaching 7.9m!

:eek:

Last edited:

Hyslop

Veteran
No Idea about the Borders... but many traffic lights have been switched off in Lancaster and Morecambe all week "for safety reasons" .... traffic seems to be flowing well, no one has been killed or injured to my knowledge, so i'm wondering if it's worth turning them back on.
Well, you do wonder,one of our major junctions seems to flow rather better when the traffic lights are switched off.Somehow,the motoring public, so famed for their singlemindedness seem to accommodate each other and the traffic flows.

Hyslop

Veteran
Young lad at work wasn't flooded but never thought to mention his power still wasn't on. He's been sitting in the dark and walking back from his uncle's with a mug of tea!
We sent him home with a camp stove and kettle.
How are things with your colleague? Is he managing OK? The attitude of some of the youngsters in Carlisle has really cheered me,I know of several who have made a real effort to keep an eye out for the older people in their locality,particularly in the West of the city where so many seem to be without a landline(and thereby Careline in some cases).They know that pensioners rarely have a access to social media,indeed,probably have no computer or mobile.So they have been using the tried and tested method of knocking on the door and passing on the information.That cant be easy when the world at large might assume the youngster knocking on a vulnerable pensioners door has only ill intent.Wonderful really.Good on them,say I.

Cush

Veteran
Was in Tesco at RoseHill today. It re-opened on Friday after less than two weeks. Have to say I am impressed at how quick they have built the new store even if it is only temporary. Now comes a question if Tesco could build a store as big as this (and it is big) so quick (and well constructed) Why couldn't the government or local council have built a small estate in the same time on some of the brownfield sites that would have housed at least some of the families looking for temporary accommodation? I am trying not to be cynical but self-interest and narrow-mindedness come to mind.

stephec

Legendary Member
Was in Tesco at RoseHill today. It re-opened on Friday after less than two weeks. Have to say I am impressed at how quick they have built the new store even if it is only temporary. Now comes a question if Tesco could build a store as big as this (and it is big) so quick (and well constructed) Why couldn't the government or local council have built a small estate in the same time on some of the brownfield sites that would have housed at least some of the families looking for temporary accommodation? I am trying not to be cynical but self-interest and narrow-mindedness come to mind.
It would've been great publicity for Tesco if they could've knocked up about twenty temporary prefabs or caravans alongside it for some really needy cases.

Hyslop

Veteran
Please tell me you weren't the chap in the Deerstalker who kept telling everyone it was a "b****y good show".....in Tescos on the Viaduct!! I

Cush

Veteran
Meant to add :tongue::okay:.Sorry Cush, got distracted but my fault
Wear a cap out of habit but always take it off when entering a shop and don't have a deerstalker or normally use the viaduct store but I still think for a commercial outfit Tesco have done well, if only for their own reasons and that the National and local government should take note of what they have done.

Top Bottom