Flood alert

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I wonder if the flood barriers may at least have helped to hold back some of the debris that would have been swept along with the water. (Obviously not cow-proof!).
And they will also have given people more time to evacuate/move stuff upstairs etc.
The cow was outside the city flood defences. In fact the water that the defences held back probably contributed to rural flooding.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Very good effort from ElectricityNW in very trying circumstances. Goes to show that big companies can get it right if they try hard enough

Communication with customers has been excellent via twitter and their website (although with the wifi off my Mum relied on me telling her). They've hired a load of mobile food vans and they're at strategic points (like Carlisle, Lancaster) and are giving away free hot food and drinks

upload_2015-12-8_16-41-36.png

D

Deleted member 23692

The flood defences did their job in so much as giving folk some much needed extra time to 'prepare' in what way they could. Had they not been there inundation would have happened much quicker and been far more widespread. Nothing can prevent flooding - that water has got to go somewhere, and for every problem you solve another is created elsewhere.

Considering the amount of water that headed in Carlisle's direction in 24 hours the defences did remaralbly well. Anyone who witnessed the amount of water held on the agricultural land upstream of the city will realise that. If you look at the catchment area of the Eden, you'll quickly see it drains a very large part of the county. The same goes for the Derwent (Cockermouth), Greta (Keswick) and the Kent (Kendal) and the myriad of other rivers that have been affected.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Very good effort from ElectricityNW in very trying circumstances. Goes to show that big companies can get it right if they try hard enough

Communication with customers has been excellent via twitter and their website (although with the wifi off my Mum relied on me telling her). They've hired a load of mobile food vans and they're at strategic points (like Carlisle, Lancaster) and are giving away free hot food and drinks

View attachment 112179
...and after a day of 'the community pulling together', the local FaceBook group is currently awash with folk grassing up their neighbours for using electricity whilst the power's back on... some blokes been jetwashing the sludge off his drive, another mother's had the washing machine on... if it wasn't so sad it'd be quite funny.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
...and after a day of 'the community pulling together', the local FaceBook group is currently awash with folk grassing up their neighbours for using electricity whilst the power's back on... some blokes been jetwashing the sludge off his drive, another mother's had the washing machine on... if it wasn't so sad it'd be quite funny.

I think the issue was that ElectricityNW had asked customers to "go easy" with electricity usage as the substation was not operating at full capacity. If demand exceeded its limited supply then further power cuts were likely. There's always some twonk who reads that as "you can't use electricity and if you do you're putting all our supply at risk"

gavgav

Legendary Member
Just seen footage of Glenridding, that I know and love so well, on ITV news. Totally gobsmacked at the devastation.

Brains

Legendary Member
Crickey, that's one lucky well travelled cow. Makes me wonder what happened to the rest.

I 'herd' they 'moo-ved' on

Actually an amazing story, the cow must have travelled about 20 miles in the river in full spate, very impressed it survived and managed a self-rescue !

If only the farmer had thought to fit the cow with a Go-Pro camera on on the horns he would now have sunning footage which would make a raft trip down the Grand Canyon look like a kids day out

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think the issue was that ElectricityNW had asked customers to "go easy" with electricity usage as the substation was not operating at full capacity. If demand exceeded its limited supply then further power cuts were likely. There's always some twonk who reads that as "you can't use electricity and if you do you're putting all our supply at risk"
Aye... a generator is a finite source. Meanwhile, the council don't seem to think that it might be a good idea to turn off all the decorative Xmas lights throughout town until the mains power is up and running.

Top Bottom