Floor Pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I've been looking to buy a floor pump but there are so many on Ebay that I don't know which ones are good and which aren't. Anybody got any advice?

winjim

Smash the cistern
For skinny road bike tyres you want low volume high pressure. For large MTB tyres you want high volume low pressure. A HVLP pump won't get up to the right pressure for road bike tyres.

The SKS Renkompressor is the best track pump there is. Gets up to ridiculously high pressure, absolutely bombproof although every part is replacable and available as a spare. You should be able to pass it on to your children, and your children's children, and your children's children's children... The only issue is that because it gets up to such high pressures, the gauge is a little hard to read at 'normal' pressure.

lazyfatgit

Get one with a dual head so you can do different valve types. A decent size gauge that you can read easily. Long hose that will reach wheel whilst bike is in workstand may also be useful.

OP
OP
Kempstonian

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Floor pump? Do you mean a 'track pump'?

The Joe Blow Sport is inexpensive and works fairly well.
Well on Ebay they are called floor pumps. I haven't had one before but I had heard they are much better than hand pumps.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had been looking at a Halfords one with the dual head. I think its their own brand so I don't know how good it will be. Maybe I'll pop along to Halfords in the morning and see what they have and check prices etc.

midlife

Guru
I bought a Raleigh track pump on offer at halfords, bronze sort of alloy, gauge, presta and schraeder head.... About fifteen quid I think about 5-6 years ago. Does me OK :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Well on Ebay they are called floor pumps. I haven't had one before but I had heard they are much better than hand pumps.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had been looking at a Halfords one with the dual head. I think its their own brand so I don't know how good it will be. Maybe I'll pop along to Halfords in the morning and see what they have and check prices etc.
Get them to price match their website if it's more in store

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/topeak-joe-blow-sport-iii-bike-pump

Top Bottom