Floor Pump?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The SKS Renkompressor is the best track pump there is. Gets up to ridiculously high pressure, absolutely bombproof although every part is replacable and available as a spare. You should be able to pass it on to your children, and your children's children, and your children's children's children... The only issue is that because it gets up to such high pressures, the gauge is a little hard to read at 'normal' pressure.
Too late, but a huge +1 to this. The SKS Airkompressor is sometimes available cheaper (currently £27 at High On Bikes) and is almost as good, but it'll probably only last one generation ;)

Using an SKS pump for the first time at a hotel in the Netherlands was a complete eye-opener on how much easier a good floor pump can be. One of the best things is the attachment, especially that the levers push-to-lock, instead of the absolutely stupid pull-to-lock designs which are needlessly difficult to keep on the valve fully while locking on. I've fitted an SKS head to my old Beto pump and it's a massive improvement in ease-of-use, although still harder work than an SKS pump. When that pump finally dies, I'll have a spare head ready for its replacement.

llukeyboii

I recently bought a track pump from ebay, it was a Vandorm Legend. I've had no problems with it yet and recieved it pretty quickly. It also had a free adaptor kit for a football which wasn't on the page so a bonus there! I don't play football but its handy to keep in the drawer!! It was less than £20 i think!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Well on Ebay they are called floor pumps. I haven't had one before but I had heard they are much better than hand pumps.

Thanks for the advice guys. I had been looking at a Halfords one with the dual head. I think its their own brand so I don't know how good it will be. Maybe I'll pop along to Halfords in the morning and see what they have and check prices etc.

Had the Halfords track pump a few years, works fine.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have this one....

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lifeline-essential-track-pump/rp-prod155369

I bought it purely based on the good reviews. It seems ok, certainly works fine. Dont know about longevity as only had it a few months. Hoping it'll last a lot longer than the Lidl one that packed up after only around 8 months. Got refunded on it tho.
I've been looking at this one. What the barrel of the pump made of? Is it metal/aluminium or a plastic? What PSI can you get up to easily. I, being a meatier chap, like at least 100 :becool:.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've fitted an SKS head to my old Beto pump and it's a massive improvement in ease-of-use, although still harder work than an SKS pump. When that pump finally dies, I'll have a spare head ready for its replacement.

At the risk of derailing this thread, would you mind telling me where you got the parts from @mjr? I fancy doing the same to my track pump?

Smudge

Veteran
I've been looking at this one. What the barrel of the pump made of? Is it metal/aluminium or a plastic? What PSI can you get up to easily. I, being a meatier chap, like at least 100 :becool:.

The barrel is steel. Easily gets to 100, prob more, but thats the most pressure i use. The clever dual purpose head seems to work fine on both presta & schrader (first i've had of these), lever lifts up to lock. The pump feels substantial with a good weight to it and seems well made. Impressions so far, are that i'm happy with it.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Top Bottom