Floor seems a bit springy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Hmmm I knew this would bite me one day as it was poor when I bought the house in 93...
82 yr old timbers so can t grumble.
No damp protection on the stub wall so inevitable.

About time I re-did this room anyway.
15322689910315635225276782330958.jpg
15322690142323686562381621677830.jpg

keithmac

Guru
Bit of work to go there!.

I've seen adjustable floor joist supports, may come in handy to take any bounce out of your new floor.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Major job going on there!! Not sure I’d like to tackle summat like that now. Done it in the past with a house I had in Ramsgate.

Have fun! :tongue:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Had the exact same problem in my old cottage. Ripped all the old floor out and filled it with cement and dpc. No more bounce! Also got rid of the rats that used to inhabit the void too, used to chew through the wiring.

OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 5322322, member: 9609"]what's going on in the corner with the damp ? where is the damp coming from, is it rising or coming from something leaking, that needs to be sorted first,

Doesn't look like dryrot but that joist close to the wall - any growth on that?

the other joists just need a bit of damp proof membrane to sit on, and the one with a bit of rot will probably be easily fixed with a wooden plate bolted onto each side of the good timber, and a bit of damp proof membrane between it and the wall.

but that corner needs to be sorted out, whats happening on the other side of it ?[/QUOTE]

Main issue is simply the wood on the small wall supports was set in motar, so no damp proofing.
I'll fit dpc to the new floor support,it should be ok with that.
9 inch brick work and a concrete sub base, so no rising damp protection.
Exterior walls are good so just the internal damp protection required.

I'm going to use treated timber and caber floor for the new floor.
Way to expensive to go traditional.
Should be about £250 to repair it, then decor and new carpet ect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Levo-Lon

Levo-Lon

Guru
Had the exact same problem in my old cottage. Ripped all the old floor out and filled it with cement and dpc. No more bounce! Also got rid of the rats that used to inhabit the void too, used to chew through the wiring.

Id like to do that but a bit to costly and time consuming.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Id like to do that but a bit to costly and time consuming.
When we extended our kitchen we filled the void, but to do it across the whole house would be extremely disruptive and very expensive.
My crawl space is around 4 foot deep so the sheer volume of concrete would be huge and the cost would be crazy for 100 cubic m. Plus the DOM, foam insulation and screed.

Drago

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5322957, member: 45"]We've just had a small 1970s extension replaced. When we ripped the old one out we discovered that the original builder had screeded about 5mm onto the ground, built a wooden frame and boarded it to make the floor. The damp had come through so he just nailed a fresh bit of board onto the wet one. And he did exactly the same with the roof.[/QUOTE]

I clicked 'like', but you know what i mean.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Similar to a house we once owned. Took the stair carpet up to find we had dry rot.
Out came all floor boards and joists.
Off came first 3 feet of plaster.
Had to physically burn all brick work with gas flame thrower then with chemicals.
Down went hard core, sand and concrete.
Good job we were younger and could afford it.

Top Bottom