Floppy Chain, what am I doing wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
:hugs:Stay away from chain saws won’t you?

mistakes exist so we can learn from them , you are not the first to route a chain like that and you wont be the last :okay:

pawl

Legendary Member
Indeed, it's not my first time fitting a chain, but the rear mech is different to the old one so the chain lengths don't match.

I recently fitted a new Shimano 105 med rear mech And chain .Not able the old chain as it was from the small mech Always measure chains by wrapping the chain round big cog at the rear and outer ring at the front.Minus 2 links (one if you are using a master link.Threaded the chain and had the same problem as you.After much head scratching I realised threaded the chain over one of the guides.

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
mistakes exist so we can learn from them , you are not the first to route a chain like that and you wont be the last :okay:
Misrouting the chain is my party trick. ;)
I recently fitted a new Shimano 105 med rear mech And chain .Not able the old chain as it was from the small mech Always measure chains by wrapping the chain round big cog at the rear and outer ring at the front.Minus 2 links (one if you are using a master link.Threaded the chain and had the same problem as you.After much head scratching I realised threaded the chain over one of the guides.
I’ve just remembered I’ve got ‘previous’ for doing this, I rode my Hybrid for ages with the chain on the wrong side of that lug, discovered by accident. You’d think I’d learn.

edited to add: gears have always been a Dark Art for me, since writing that I had it sorted, I discovered I missed the cable ends off at the shifter ends, having sorted the gears I had to unthread the cables and start again, thus the gears wouldn’t line up again! 🤬🤬🤬🤬. After another hour or so got them working again.
You may recall the nause up I made of the gears on the BSA Tour de France.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pity that, I have quite a perverse affinity for damage photos.
Be patient... Once people take pawl's advice, you should have plenty of damage to enjoy! :okay:
Always measure chains by wrapping the chain round big cog at the rear and outer ring at the front.Minus 2 links (one if you are using a master link.
Take the shortest length that will just reach, and then shorten that - I think NOT! (Something would snap if, nay, when you get distracted and accidentally select big-to-big.)

Do that PLUS an extra inner/outer link pair.

Top Bottom