Floppy Chain, what am I doing wrong.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
but the rear mech is different to the old one so the chain lengths don't match.
[Edited by @I Like Skol to correct errors]
I recently fitted a new Shimano 105 med rear mech and chain. Not able to use the old chain as it was from the small mech . Always measure chains by wrapping the chain round big cog at the rear and outer ring at the front, plus 2 links (one if you are using a master link).
Take the shortest length that will just reach, and then shorten that - I think NOT! (Something would snap if, nay, when you get distracted and accidentally select big-to-big.)
Do that PLUS an extra inner/outer link pair.
The chain length shouldn't alter if the mech is swapped from short cage to med/long cage using this system, although in practice you might want to run a slightly longer chain with the longer cage mechs to allow the mech to run at a more optimal position, but this will depend on how much wrap/slack you require the mech to take up.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
it never occurred to me that chains are supplied to long.
I know I shouldn't have, but that made me :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Have a couple of :smooch::smooch::smooch:for getting to the bottom of it and for making it work in the end.
I'm sure, in your predicament, I would have taken the bike to the LBS instead of persevering with the diy mechanics ^_^

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I know I shouldn't have, but that made me :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
Have a couple of :smooch::smooch::smooch:for getting to the bottom of it and for making it work in the end.
I'm sure, in your predicament, I would have taken the bike to the LBS instead of persevering with the diy mechanics ^_^

I think I was trying to do it in a hurry, I don’t know what was going on, I’ve measured and fitted chains before. I must’ve had a brain freeze. 🥴

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Only a complete fool would thread the chain wrongly through the cage and join it before noticing nearly every bloody time they do it :whistle:
I fitted a new chain a couple of days ago and forgot to put it through the derailleur at all! :banghead:

(Fortunately, I had used a reusable quicklink and I had at least got the length right.)

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Beware Shimano directional chains - it's all too easy to …….. DAMHIKT

OP
OP
EltonFrog

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Well, I finally finished it. It has taken me four half days to swap take everything off my bike, clean and fettle, then put replacement upgraded parts n

I've been on a Journey.

Want some photos? Don't matter here some anyway.

Haven’t ridden it yet, it’s pissing down, just as well ‘cos looking at the photo the saddle is too high.

silva

Über Member
Just to say... there was a time that it also didn't came to my mind that a chain sold by the dealer I bought the bike at, would be too long for the bike and I thought I had received a "wrong" chain and went back with it.
In the shop they probably have had a good laugh after I left with a chain that I thought was the "correct" chain. I only got it later on, when I started to realize it was the very same chain, only having lost some links.

It's a similar story to that bodybuilder I once knew, that people often asked if he trained alot, which he replied with no I was born like this.

Top Bottom