Flu / virus, did you get one this year ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Whatever mine is, I'll consider myself lucky.
One bad day of aches that had me tossing and turning every 5 minutes for hours on end...but no cough, headaches or normal cold related symptoms. If I think back through my nearly 60 years, I've only ever vomited a handful of times so maybe it was something I ate...who knows.
However, we have a guy at work who was ill on and off for a month and TBH, still doesn't look right.
My son in law caught something before Xmas and spent a week off, a further 2 weeks feeling weak and lethargic.
My 87 YO mum just had a few days of illness, virus based I suspect...i sincerely worried she wouldn' come through it...possible I've caught something off her.

DRHysted

Guru
Had this years bug from Boxing Day until about the 10th Jan. seriously compromised my cardio vascular system, heart rate was at the same rate for running whilst laying down & very easily out of breath. I even drove to work!!

Mum had similar but ran for longer and this was dispite having the flu jab.

Jody

Stubborn git
Common phrase round our office is "i've got a touch of flu". Wouldn't mind but they don't even have a bad cold never mind flu.

Had flu once and it was awful. Everything hurt, I couldn't eat and it was difficult to even sit up. Only good thing to come out of it was I lost weight.

If you don't feel like the Grim Reaper has run you over in his pickup truck, it ain't the flu.
I feel as though he's not only ran over me but stuck it in reverse and gone over me again..just to make sure. Felt dreadful since Monday worst cough ive ever had, constant and bringing up nasty stuff doc says chest infection prescribes strong antibiotics and put me on box for a week. I've never lost time for colds and the like before but i feel prettyrubbish

D

Deleted member 1258

I've had a minor case of the sniffles, brought me almost to a grinding halt for a couple of weeks, left me with a tickly cough and ran off with my cycling legs.

MikeG

Guru
Yeah, it was an absolute beauty. Don't get it. It's bad. It took nearly 4 weeks to fully recover, and I'm a fit and healthy chap.

To those that have it..........bad luck. Forget trying to do anything for the first 10 days or so. Drink lots, and take paracetamol or ibuprofen. You'll probably need cough mixture too, although I was lucky with that. My wife is still coughing, and coughed so much that she tore an intercostal.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes!!!!
New Years day/night. Went to bed fine. Woke 03:00 with my head in a vice. Hold/cold and REALLY shivering. Lasted full strength about 2 weeks and I am getting over now.
Have to say......I dont like it when people make wild statements eg if you can eat/stand/ then it aint flu. I had serious flu once on my thirtees. Yes....delirious and bed ridden etc. However there are levels of flu....some nowhere near as serious as others. (small rant over).

Reactions: gbb

vickster

Legendary Member
Have to say......I dont like it when people make wild statements eg if you can eat/stand/ then it aint flu. I had serious flu once on my thirtees. Yes....delirious and bed ridden etc. However there are levels of how different people react differently to different strains of flu....some nowhere near as serious as others. (small rant over).

FTFY I 'd say that is more true :smile: The science as to why is way beyond me!

Dave7

Legendary Member
FTFY I 'd say that is more true :smile: The science as to why is way beyond me!
Possibly......but you get my point though. Just cos one person is totally bed ridden and cant eat while the other person is simply feverish, shivering and aching everywhere doesn't mean they cant both have flu.

vickster

Legendary Member
Possibly......but you get my point though. Just cos one person is totally bed ridden and cant eat while the other person is simply feverish, shivering and aching everywhere doesn't mean they cant both have flu.
Indeed...but a sniffle and sore throat is not generally caused by the flu virus (but rather the common cold or indeed an allergy). If you have the influenza virus, as you say you will be feverish and achy (as a result of the fever/virus). The criticism I think is more of people saying they have flu as a catch all for a (usually winter) snot causing virus

Top Bottom