Flu / virus, did you get one this year ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I'm still crook. Went down with symptoms of a heavy cold on 27th December which went straight to my chest. Lost my voice for about 3 weeks and it's still not back properly. I am on my 3rd round of antibiotics. I certainly have not had flu. I have had that before and i was bedridden and delirious. This has been a really hideous infection.

vickster

Legendary Member
Only thing I've been bedridden with in my 41 years was glandular fever, everything thing else you just get on with it!.

Lost count the amount of days I've turned up to work feeling like death warmed up..
Bet your colleagues love you when they catch it ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Day 2 of my visrus (not sure its flu because i have no cough, sneeze or runny nose...but after a short ride Sunday evening, I went to bed with a fast running heart rate which kept me awake, to an achiness right through me, particually in my hips and legs. I vommited in the night and didnt sleep a wink.
Day off work, didn' eat a crumb all day and while the aches slowly subsided with regular ibrufen, i did have a good nights sleep last night, off work again today, feeling considerably better but still very tired.
Just had a couple dry toast and a small bowl of the ever nourishing tomato soup..
I did have a flu jab ..but not sure if this qualifies as the flu, irrelevant anyway, the jab can' protect you from all strains.

What about you ? It' reportedly a bad year this year.

Sounds more like a tummy bug than a cold.

I avoid colds by always washing my hands on entering my house and before sitting down at work so that everything isn't covered in viruses I've picked up outside, by not picking my nose or rubbing my eyes and by gargling with the amazing Corsodyl the minute I feel a slight sore throat coming on. It seems to work as I can't remember the last time I caught a cold.

Last edited:
Reactions: gbb

Lullabelle

Banana
Had a bad cold within a couple of days of being back at work, still don't feel brilliant but it was just a cold. Had flu 2 years ago which completely wiped me out so I have tremendous sympathy for anyone who was/is poorly, it really is dreadful.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes I hope I never get 'flu again. Had it at the age of about 20 and it was ghastly. The only other time I've felt so ill was when I got bad food poisoning by eating re-frozen ice cream in Pakistan.

cuberider

Über Member
I had a flu jab in October, and have got through the flu season untouched so far, however a work colleague had a jab but succumbed to Aussie flu after Christmas.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Sounds more like a tummy bug than a cold.

I avoid colds by always washing my hands on entering my house and before sitting down at work so that everything isn't covered in viruses I've picked up outside, by not picking my nose or rubbing my eyes and by gargling with the amazing Corsodyl the minute I feel a slight sore throat coming on. It seems to work as I can't remember the last time I caught a cold.
Quite possible. I' spent the last few days frequently visiting and tending after my 87 YO mum who was so poorly with similar symptoms...i genuinely feared she wouldn't make it. Clearing up vomit and other other stuff not for the squeemish, it'd have been a miracle If didn't get whatever she had, despite literally washing my hands in neat antiseptic after.
Feel a good bit better now, work today, tired but ok, still hadn't eaten a good meal since Monday but steadily getting there. Just a bowl of soup and a roll, a pot noodle and two toast today...which is nowt compared to my normal intake. :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Then it's almost certainly Norovirus. You only need to be in the same room as someone who barfs up to catch it.... just an airborne droplet is enough.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Then it's almost certainly Norovirus. You only need to be in the same room as someone who barfs up to catch it.... just an airborne droplet is enough.
Perhaps my normal cast iron constitution helped me avoid the worst...i had no toilet problems, quite the opposite actually.
It's always the case, something happens, we almost demand (even of ourselves) to know exactly what it is...even though it doesn't really matter or change anything.

Norovirus but no squits, 24 hour flu, 48 hour flu, just a plain virus, stomach upset...i'll never know...

Globalti

Legendary Member
The cast-iron immune system may have helped; it's said that we catch ten colds a year and only two become full-blown infections. I have had occasional 24 hour viruses when I feel ropey, take paracetamol, go to bed and wake up the next day feeling fine, so I guess that by increasing temperature my body has made life too hard for the virus.

Top Bottom