Fluoxetine making me nauseous. Stop now before it's too late?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
GP tried me on Sertraline but the side effects were so horrible that I stopped after the second with no ill effects.

Now she's given me Fluoxetine, which is Prozac. I've taken three now and after this morning's dose the nausea was pretty bad. I've a mind to stop now before I get into it too deep but I have to admit that the depression seems a little better and I don't have quite the same debilitating sensation of doom and dread today.

So stop it now or try taking it before bed? I'm in a mess.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
GP tried me on Sertraline but the side effects were so horrible that I stopped after the second with no ill effects.

Now she's given me Fluoxetine, which is Prozac. I've taken three now and after this morning's dose the nausea was pretty bad. I've a mind to stop now before I get into it too deep but I have to admit that the depression seems a little better and I don't have quite the same debilitating sensation of doom and dread today.

So stop it now or try taking it before bed? I'm in a mess.
Could be wrong, but I think side effects often diminish.. If you feel they are working I would stick with it.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
The feeling of nausea does decrease after the first week or two. My stomach felt like a severe attack of constant butterflies. I would persevere and, as always, discuss possible adjustments with your GP before doing anything.
All the best 🍻

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Strong side effects are normal, these are drugs which are designed to alter brain chemistry. Whenever I've started a new course of SSRI I've been laid up for a week. My completely unscientific thought is that you need to give them time to do their stuff and your body time to get used to them.

tom73

Guru
Talk to your GP before going anything the nausea is common at first and it will get better.
Sounds like they may be working so keep going I know it sounds silly but try to eat something it can really help with nausea.
:hugs:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I take them with breakfast. Am thinking I might take before bed instead. What's upsetting me most is that before I took them I was drifting and dozing from 01.00 through to 7.30 but now I'm absolutely wide awake, which is distressing and I'm beginning to hate my bed, the room and BBC iPlayer, not to mention the horrible musty damp smell and the noise of mice above my head.

Sharky

Guru
My daughter has been on fluoxetine for 20+ years and dose has just been increased to 60mg. This is just one of many drugs that she has taken and they all have side affects. She is non verbal, so we never know exactly how she is feeling. The increase in fluoxetine is to combat increased OCD as some of the other drugs have been reduced.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I take them with breakfast. Am thinking I might take before bed instead. What's upsetting me most is that before I took them I was drifting and dozing from 01.00 through to 7.30 but now I'm absolutely wide awake, which is distressing and I'm beginning to hate my bed, the room and BBC iPlayer, not to mention the horrible musty damp smell and the noise of mice above my head.
I can't remember the details but when my dad was on one of those - Sertraline, I think - the doctor explained that the way it worked meant that it was better taken in the evening as the effect would be more apparent in the morning that way. I'd discuss the timing with your doctor too.

Hope you get it sorted soon.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I gave up Sertraline after two days as the effects were absolutely awful. Shocking dreams.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
It's usually about two to three weeks for these to disappear (not in everyone so see what the doctor thinks). If people have dose bumps this also happens a lot where sometimes people have forgotten what it was originally like or really taken by surprise.

GI tract symptoms are common in all SSRIs, there are serotonin receptors all over the body and they come in many flavours and 5-HT3 is among the reasons they can cause nausea. Theoretically fluoxetine is supposed to be better tolerated than sertraline. See how you get on and what you and the doctor think - there are other cheap options that are in theory better tolerated.

Food, water and smaller meals spread out can be advised. If you are able to you could use an antacid temporarily or other options (which you may not be able to take).

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm. Go and see a pharmacist. See if you can take omeprazole or pepto-bismol or something with alginate in it and whether they think any of them are any good and can be taken with any conditions or current medication.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Whenever my medication was, in the past, changed, my wife and I quickly learned I should take the first new dose or drug on a Friday evening. The couple of days before work on Monday gave my body a little more time to adjust, as sometimes the weekend would just be lost with side effects.

Top Bottom