Fluoxetine making me nauseous. Stop now before it's too late?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Was that a weekly dose then?

I've decided that I owe it to my GP and my wife to persist with the fluoxetine and get my head sorted out especially as depressing winter days aren't far away.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I stress I'm not a Doctor but have worked in mental health and learning disabilities for years and give prescribed meds every day. Most meds of this calibre can take weeks to 'settle'. Every experience is different there is no fixed take it and you'll feel better thing. Diet,exercise, talking about how you feel and motivation when you can are equally important.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Sorry forgot to mention, what may work for one may not in another. Trial and error plays a part as well.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
There are other drugs available, but unfortunately you need to give them time to work. I believe your GP should be monitoring you in the early stages, until they and you are satisfied they are working and what, if any, are the side effects,
I was moved to the max dose of Mirtazapine a few years ago, which suits me, but it was trial and error getting there, both with drugs and the time I took them.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
The difficult part about the conversation is most people need to try a few drugs, or dose changes, to find something that 'works'. If someone is on the first or second medication, this is a very problematic thing to say so people keep their gobs shut. But it's not all doom and gloom. A lot of people find stuff that works. Some find a particular drug doesn't do anything at all (wasted time but not necessarily anything nasty happening).

One of the reasons why it's an idea to see how you get on (if the side effects subside within 2-3 weeks) is how long does it take to 'work'. This is talked about endlessly and is a real thing, but little talked about why. There are various theories on why it takes up to a few weeks for SSRIs to work in some people:-
  • They do actually work straightaway just patients don't 'notice' the changes (this is what my doctor reckons)
  • patients are talking nonsense
  • it takes a while for your body to adjust (ye olde worlde explanation)
  • it takes a while for serotonin levels to readjust (view from the 1980s)
  • SSRIs accumulate in lipid rafts and gum that up and after a few weeks G coupled proteins move out.
Evidence points to the latter explanation is likely the correct one and the other older theories are probably nonsense/too simplistic.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well I've only taken four doses of 20mg of Fluoxetine and I think it's already working. I feel generally better but my mood swings to utter doom very quickly if I'm hungry, or with certain stimuli. For example right now just the thought of another night without any sleep at all is bringing on a downer. I can only hope that as the drug works I will begin to sleep.

Today I chatted with a neighbour who had a similar breakdown two years ago. He has settled down amazingly with a tranquilliser and realises now that he's actually been depressed since his teen years. I suspect I'm going to find the same.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well the latest news is that I stopped the fluoxetine after the 5th dose as I could see how it was affecting my head. I had a couple of episodes of minor nausea then no more repercussions. By three days after I actually drifted off to sleep rather than lying wide awake from midnight to 7.30. Since then sleep has returned, not good sleep but lots of short dozes. I know because I listen to BBC Sounds and wake up having missed 45 minutes of a show.

My mind is clearer and the anxiety under control. I'm so pleased I've managed to sidestep the pharmaceutical route as my experiences with sertraline and fluoxetine were both nightmares, literally so. I've made good progress since realising that I'm actually malnourished and I've started eating lots more high calorie food including fresh local eggs and porridge.

Doesn't prevent me from feeling depressed in the mornings but at least that doesn't last all day. Today's news is that we've exchanged on the sale our our old place in Lancashire so that's one layer less of stress. It took 6 frustrating months to sell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've got diazepam as a sticking plaster but haven't taken one for quite a while now

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Really, seriously, the biggest improvement in my mental state and my sleep has come as a result of realising I was malnourished living off supermarket meals and going back to simple home-cooked food and high calorie stuff. The depression crept up on me as the weight dropped off and I didn't put the two together, all I knew was waking up starving and depressed as hell.

Top Bottom