Fly6 buy old v new version

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GJT

Über Member
I am fairly certain it needs to be seatpost diameter on account of the moulded rubber pad on the device. Maybe you could Whitley down a 27.2mm section of a mop handle?

I have my fly6 basically resting on the seatpost clamp, and the smaller Ortlieb saddle back under my saddle, and I quite like it. It might be slightly letterboxed, but not much, and I think it looks more discrete. I run it as a continuous backup light, and I'd say it still works fine.

At one point I was imaging a stem attached to the seat post, attached to a bit of broom...
I might look at getting a smaller saddlebag (currently using a Carradice Super C Saddlepack), but 90% of the time I don't need that size.
Does it just take up 8cm of seat post?

gaijintendo

Veteran
I might look at getting a smaller saddlebag (currently using a Carradice Super C Saddlepack), but 90% of the time I don't need that size.
Does it just take up 8cm of seat post?
I'm not anywhere near my bike at the moment else I'd send you some pictures... Earliest I'll see the bike again is Friday. I could maybe do a wee video of how it looks under the bag at 1cm increments.

It doesn't take much more than the full height, because it is offset to account for the seatpost angle, so it doesn't protrude up or down any

Reactions: GJT

sight-pin

Veteran
Has anyone successfully attached this to a seat stay and still got good footage?
I don't have any seat post available due to saddlebag.
I had to reverse the seat clamp to mount mine due to the saddle bag being in the way. Here' a pic of it mounted, and one of the results whilst cycling.
image1.JPG Screenshot (21).png

GJT

Über Member
I'm not anywhere near my bike at the moment else I'd send you some pictures... Earliest I'll see the bike again is Friday. I could maybe do a wee video of how it looks under the bag at 1cm increments.

It doesn't take much more than the full height, because it is offset to account for the seatpost angle, so it doesn't protrude up or down any
That's a kind offer, but no need to go to all that trouble. I'll look at getting a smaller Carradice and hopefully it will just fit under it. I have 14cm of seat post to fit both on.

GJT

Über Member
image.jpeg
I had to reverse the seat clamp to mount mine due to the saddle bag being in the way. Here' a pic of it mounted, and one of the results whilst cycling.
View attachment 368763 View attachment 368764
Thanks for that - much appreciated. This is my current set up, so should be fine with a smaller bag.
That image looks reasonable- could you read a car reg if required? I have read varying views on this with some saying it's not possible. Maybe it wasn't fitted tightly enough so there was too much vibration.

gaijintendo

Veteran
If anyone else is thinking of getting one, it can be bought for £86.39 by adding END10 at checkout from link below.
Free delivery too.

https://www.sigmasport.co.uk/item/Cycliq/FLY-6-HD-Rear-Bike-Camera-and-30-Lumen-Light/FL3L

Just need to sort my saddle bag now - really hoping the Carradice Zipped Roll will fit and leave just enough room for this.

Tempted to get another one, seems a good price - but not experiencing any major issues with batteries...

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If anyone else is thinking of getting one, it can be bought for £86.39 by adding END10 at checkout from link below.

Thanks for that discount code. It didn't reduce the price as much for me, I'm paying £89.99 but still worth it.

The picture quality on my old one has reached a point where it's not easy to read reg. numbers unless they are very close, so I've ordered a new one and I'll keep my older one as a backup

GJT

Über Member
Yeah, I noticed the price had gone up on Amazon and Sigma by a few quid, but as you say, still a decent price.
Just got myself a slight second (double stitched under flap, so don't see it) Carradice Zipped Roll for £25.
Fly6 due tomorrow and I think will have to attach same as @sight-pin and then good to go.

Currently on the fence with this (and the fly12). Cant seem to get a decent headcam so resigned to fitting on one on the handlebars, and after having some loon chase me on a deserted farmtrack at 6:50am Wednesday morning I'm keen to get a rear camera as well ! is everyone happy with the fly6? Any comments on the fly 12 appreciated as well...

thanks

Ian

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

I'm pleased with mine. The footage is sharp in good light. Can't comment on camera in wet weather or at night as not tried it yet. Hopefully if I'm ever knocked off it will be of some use. The velcro strap has worked well so far with no slipping or turning on the seatpost. I did replace the under saddle pouch with a shallower one as the bottom of the previous (tatty anyway) one encroached on the top of the videos.

I only look at the recordings if there might be something interesting to see (magpies swooping at the moment for example).Otherwise if I obsess about traffic behaviour I find it takes the shine off an otherwise pleasant ride. May be different if you are commuting in a city or getting hassled regularly.

View: https://vimeo.com/232219940

EDIT - added link to video

Last edited:
Top Bottom