1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Flying and Mudguards

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Stick on a Giant, 18 Jan 2008.

1. Stick on a Giant

Stick on a Giant New Member

I'm about to order a bike and need to specify some mudguards. We're planning on flying to Europe somewhere and will probably use an old cardboard bike box to transport the bikes. The rear 'guard shouldn't be too much of a issue as I'll leave the rear wheel tied in place, just take the skewer out, but the front one may be an issue as I'll turn the forks sideways to avoid any risk of crushing.

So I'll need to remove the front mudguard. Does anyone know of any that are easy to remove and re-fit? Thanks

2. jay clock

jay clock Massive member

Pretty easy. They usually have "pop-off"fittings on the front fork eyes so it just a question of undoing the brake bolt. To get the bike in the box you may well have to reverse the forks, which may also entail undoing brake cables.

3. Tony

Tony New Member

My SKS ones come off easily.

4. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

So long as you have the right tools mudguards are not difficult to remove and refit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!