FNRttC FNRttC 7th August to Felpham near Bognor Regis 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
MacBludgeon said:
uber hill, can we really pass that up, could there be an option for some to go the hill route and others the off road and meet up the far side? What am I saying? maybe this should be on the sexuality thread, am I developing masochistic tendencies?
The uber hill is being passed up because we think it's dangerous, particularly for a group. And not near as lovely.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Wheeledweenie said:
I did get over it actually, much to my surprise :@) Am seriously considering the August ride but don't want to hold the whole ride up, hence why I need to know it's tacklable. Hmmmm, so tempting......

I am doing the August ride so I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be the only one who finds hills a nightmare! Come along... I could do with a wheel to suck, going up the inclines :biggrin:

SD

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
dellzeqq said:
The uber hill is being passed up because we think it's dangerous, particularly for a group. And not near as lovely.

dangerous - please expand, remember I'm someone that descends slowly on every hill

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Sittingduck said:
I am doing the August ride so I can pretty much guarantee that you won't be the only one who finds hills a nightmare! Come along... I could do with a wheel to suck, going up the inclines :biggrin:

SD

yeah, right, 14.2mph average for the Dunrun, I'm going to be sucking your wheel SD:biggrin:

mike e

Simon, did you manage to find the details for Andy's (I love bikes) epic, would definately like to donate to his chosen charity.

Oh and by the way, the mobile number for Des was the right one all along, when I rang him on Saturday he answered by asking a woman's name + it didn't sound anything like him. I guess the aftermath of a night ride is that everyone is a little out of sort's, indeed I tried using the toilet on the train until I realized it was the joining bit in the middle of the train carriages!!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Wheeledweenie said:
I did get over it actually, much to my surprise :@) Am seriously considering the August ride but don't want to hold the whole ride up, hence why I need to know it's tacklable. Hmmmm, so tempting......

As one of the middling in terms of speed, don't worry about it. At times, I've been lanterne rouge myself (chain drops in May, bottle drops last week), though I'm more of the 'hurry along and rejoin the pack' inclination. And when you're not at the back, the opportunity to unclip, have a drink and a natter is much appreciated. Angela-Marie (I think?) was generally at the back last week, but no-one minds waiting. It's a social ride after all.....
And SD: you got up Ditchling. You conquered the nightmare. It was slightly less horrible the second time for me.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
MacBludgeon said:
dangerous - please expand, remember I'm someone that descends slowly on every hill
dangerous going up the hill. Four miles of blind summits from Storrington, then two miles of up hill with blind bends - the big veggy stuff comes right up the verge - on a narrow road. The prospect of cars or vans starting an overtake then running out of road when something came the other way didn't appeal - and my estimation is that at least one of the riders would walk the uphill.

The downhill is a piece of cake.

Now the uphill from North Stoke is tricky. The road is narrow, and there are holes and loads of loose stuff - but the view is fab and it only goes to a farm gate, so there is no traffic, and people can simply change down in to the granny gear and twiddle away. I may get complaints but I won't be dealing with grieving rels.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
MacBludgeon said:
yeah, right, 14.2mph average for the Dunrun, I'm going to be sucking your wheel SD:biggrin:

I can tow you for 10p per mile, MaccyB... too rich for your blood? :laugh:

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Gosh, the rumours are true, everyone on FNRttC is really nice. If I can wriggle out of my Saturday commitments I'll be there and shall let you know ASAP. My back and, ahem, seat had no problems on Brighton. Weirdly for a girl I have no problem using a men's bike and seat. I'd consider drops but may fit bar ends instead as I often hanker for that shape when I go for long rides. I have very weird body proportions for various reasons so shall do some research!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:

listen to Dell he knows of what he speaks. on a solo ride on a quiet Saturday late evening/mid morning Houghton Hill (and the B road from Storrington leading to it) falls within my definition of "safe enough"; given the density of traffic on Sussex roads safe is a pretty relative term. Must be OK else I wouldn't climb it as often as I seem to.

In a (large) group, strung out as far was we get, it would be foolhardy to tackle it. and it is not a safe road to walk on imo. Trust me you will love the alternative he has laid on, and the surface is better than on some 'proper' roads round my way; as I found out on sunday......

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Wheeledweenie said:
I'd consider drops but may fit bar ends instead as I often hanker for that shape when I go for long rides.

Wise choice :laugh: I fitted bar ends on my hybrid many months ago and find that I naturally grab hold of 'em when cycling on straight sections now. It's great to have that option of more positions. It was a good indicator that I might enjoy drops and led me to finally take the plunge of getting a road bike.

Cheers,
SD

theclaud

Openly Marxist
dellzeqq said:
I've got Wigsie, Tynan, Claudine and Andrea down as possibles.

Count me in please, Simon. I've managed to find a cheapish train ticket. The Lovely Andrea too. No Arnaud this time - the word is that he's doing Flamenco instead!

If this becomes a habit, my allotment is f ucked...

Top Bottom