FNRttC - could it be a club?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
OK. Deep breath. The LCC thing has finally run in to the sand. Apparently the non-London (South Wales, York, Manchester) rides are a problem.

The Fridays page says it how it is
http://3.bp.blogspot...600/Slide18.PNG

So......if you're not a CTC member and you want to do a ride in 2011 - send me a cheque for £12 made out to 'CTC'. I will then bundle these up, and take them along to Arvato in Twickenham. Address by return e-mail to fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk

I think that the deadline for each ride will be about two weeks ahead of time, so I'll open registration for the March ride now.

If you are a CTC member and want to switch to affiliate membership via The Fridays then let me know via fnrttc at yahoo.co.uk. If you're an LCC or BC member there will be a limited number of slots on the ride for non-CTC members - send me an e-mail if you're interested in the March ride.

I'm sorry it's come to this, but I've probably made sixty or seventy phone calls exploring all the options that made any kind of sense, and this is where we are at...................

redjedi

Über Member
Sounds reasonable to me especially as I tend to do quite a few anyway, and I can always claim it back through discounts in Evans.

Is cheque the only way to pay? I haven't had a cheque book for years.
Can I get postal orders or will my bank issue a single cheque for this?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Apologies if this has been asked already, but I'm not going to reread all 23 pages to find out: the differences in CTC membership benefits between full and affiliate membership are what?

Perhaps answering my own question, I found a comparison at http://www.wheel-eas...ticle.asp?ID=64 - does this look about right? The summary seems to be "yes" to insurance and discounts, "no" to legal advice line, the paper magazine and the forum access.

StuartG

slower but further
This is bad news. I'm with the LCC and will not join CTC on principle. So after two glorious seasons I shall have to bid FNRttC farewell. And only last month I added the London rides to our club calendar.

Still I might organise an Anerley concurrent ride to Newhaven. Provided you don't go too fast. Thinking about it joint rides (or rides to the same destination) does open up possibilities ...

rusky

CC Addict
Pardon my ignorance, but if you are already a CTC member can you just pay £1 for membership to The Fridays?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm still a CTC member until May. I've already joined the LCC and won't be renewing my CTC membership. It will grieve me immensely to have to write "CTC" on any cheque with my name on it. Grrrrr, and if I am joining The Fridays why does my cheque have to made out to the other load of numpties. And what is a cheque anyway, i can't remember the last time I wrote one.moan moan moan.

Not coming to Southend so i can dodge the issue for a month until april or....

Simon, do you have a paypal account?

I joined the CTC for 5 years...don't know how many I have left - don't care. If £12 = 4 beers?, or half an average shirt, then pay - forget principle. Simon's 'bit' becomes straightforward and one continues with the insouciance that adorns a Friday Night Ride...CTC? Cinema ticket? A gallon of petrol? (I have no idea)

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I joined the CTC for 5 years...don't know how many I have left - don't care. If £12 = 4 beers?, or half an average shirt, then pay - forget principle. Simon's 'bit' becomes straightforward and one continues with the insouciance that adorns a Friday Night Ride...CTC? Cinema ticket? A gallon of petrol? (I have no idea)

Quite. I'm not sure it's terribly unprincipled anyway. I'm sticking with CTC for now as it happens, having accidentally agreed to take on a few things with CTC Cymru, and because there's still the Member Group.

redjedi

Über Member
Oh no, this is not how things should unfold.

Exactly. I don''t see it as paying £12 to CTC, I see it as paying £13 to join a club that organises some of the best rides around with some of the best company, and if it costs me £13 to help keep it running then I'm more than happy to pay.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My cheque will be in the post shortly. I can appreciate the unwillingness of some to send any money the CTC's way. Can't say I'm happy about that either. But as 'teef rightly points out, £12 for a year's worth of splendid evenings out is small change.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
so can I give one of you £13 in cash/or via paypal and you write out the cheque for £26 and all is square?

funny thing principles, bit like women; cant live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

just asked the lovely helen where the cheque book is. very blank 'what's a cheque book?' look

I know. I send Simon a cheque for £13 and don't write forget to write the payee on it! Sorted.

frank9755

Cyclist
My CTC membership expires shortly so I will not renew and instead, take great pleasure in affiliating via the Happy Fridays.

Simon, thanks for what I am sure has been man-weeks of time in finding a workable, pragmatic solution which protects everyone's interests, and which has just saved me about £25!

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I'm not going to reread all 23 pages to find out: the differences in CTC membership benefits between full and affiliate membership are what?

Perhaps answering my own question, I found a comparison at http://www.wheel-eas...ticle.asp?ID=64 - does this look about right? The summary seems to be "yes" to insurance and discounts, "no" to legal advice line, the paper magazine and the forum access.

Dan,
Almost. However, anyone can access the forum (which I have to say I have found more valuable than most other aspects of the CTC as there are some real technical experts there who have taught me many timely lessons in bike fixing and fettling).
What non-members can't access is certain areas of the website, such as the routes library. FWIW, in its day this was probably a great resource but is of little value now as it has been rendered obsolete by other sites such as Bikely and CGOAB, which are so much easier to use.
IMHO the affiliate membership seems to offer all the useful bits of the full membership!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
This is bad news. I'm with the LCC and will not join CTC on principle. So after two glorious seasons I shall have to bid FNRttC farewell. And only last month I added the London rides to our club calendar.

Still I might organise an Anerley concurrent ride to Newhaven. Provided you don't go too fast. Thinking about it joint rides (or rides to the same destination) does open up possibilities ...
there are five spaces on each ride for LCC/BC members. And if we've never had more than five LCC/BC members who are not also members of the CTC.

Isn't the Anerley a CTC affiliate?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
so can I give one of you £13 in cash/or via paypal and you write out the cheque for £26 and all is square?

funny thing principles, bit like women; cant live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

just asked the lovely helen where the cheque book is. very blank 'what's a cheque book?' look

I know. I send Simon a cheque for £13 and don't write forget to write the payee on it! Sorted.
think of it as a deposit to an affiliates buyers group with independent purchasing power in 2013.

Here's the deal. Financially the CTC is screwed. What happens if the subs go skyward (officers proposed £42 for next year)? The affiliates have got to give themselves choices

£12 by the way. I'll take a pound coin off you.

Top Bottom