FNRttC FNRttC Oxford 21st September 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The third, of course, is the old British Leyland plant in Cowley. A symbol of union domination in the 1970s, producing such high quality vehicles as the Morris Marina and the Austin Maestro (they were sold cheaply to workers, so were very common on the streets of Abingdon and Oxford when I was young), the plant eventually became part of BMW. These days they make a large hatchback there, absurdly branded as a Mini. And they're planning to close the plant for a month next April because the government can't guarantee their supply lines will be available.
Is it an urban myth that the various companies that built the original series Morris Mini Minor (also built as an Austin Se7en at Longbridge) made a loss on every single car they sold?

If not, with management that inept who needs bolshy unions?

mmmmartin

Random geezer

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Another memorable little adventure. Most disturbing moment was riding carefully at a modest pace along the pitch dark gravelly farm track through woodland when the rider directly in front of me inexplicably shot skyward and landed headfirst before toppling to the left, taking out the unfortunate gentleman riding alongside him. It was obvious something had caused the front wheel to stop instantly. Perhaps a short length of fallen branch, carried round in the spokes until it met the fork? The front mudguard stays were adrift on one side and could be the culprits but I'm not convinced about that hypothesis.
What would his Leggness say?

Fridays, to bed, for tomorrow we shall arrive at 9 on the dot! We did! 9 on the ETA dot did we arrive at Wetherspoons for breakfast.

Many thanks to Nick, TECs, half-way caterers, behind the sceners and riders for a wonderful night's adventure. I've jotted down some memories:

• Great ride through London
  • Homeless camps by the Habitat building
  • Great dry and warm weather
  • Where did I leave my climbing legs?
  • Was a good workout for me!
  • Love the Southbank meeting point
  • How many ambulances did we see?
  • Familiar faces from FNRttC and Audax
  • Meeting new riders
  • Spotting 'Friday Lane' in Wheatley
  • Very happy I didn't lapse a year of Friday riding :smile:
  • Also happy I did at least one way mark
  • Journey back on train all ok

hJfP3Zr1JtLgP3NTcjvrhpEXdKpLsKxffNZW-7l_azHQxUwas11X3Lz6o5DvMYc8LVwVJXL5l0BDd7FT1JU=w300-h400-no.jpg

A few start photos

Top Bottom