FNRttC FNRttC Oxford 21st September 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As well as owls, millionaires' mansions and the delights of the Phoenix trail you also passed three important sites in the history of Britain in the second half of the 20th century.

The first was the former British Baking Industries Research Association in Chorleywood, where the Chorleywood bread process was invented. I've never been able to pinpoint exactly where it was, but I gather it was near the Chorleywood church, about a mile after the M25. It may have saved a nation from hunger, but it did so by destroying any hope of good quality local bakers producing decent bread. If you've ever wondered why Belgium, France and Germany all have a bakery in every village while we pop out to Tesco's for a loaf of white sliced - blame Chorleywood.

The second is now branded as GE Healthcare. It's a few offices and a campus between Chalfont and Latimer station and Amersham. As a metaphor for UK industrial policy over the last 50-odd years you couldn't get much better - a nationalised company that was a world leader in the development of the applications of nuclear science to medicine, the victim of the first privatisation of the Thatcher government, which wound up as a small outpost of a US conglomerate.

The third, of course, is the old British Leyland plant in Cowley. A symbol of union domination in the 1970s, producing such high quality vehicles as the Morris Marina and the Austin Maestro (they were sold cheaply to workers, so were very common on the streets of Abingdon and Oxford when I was young), the plant eventually became part of BMW. These days they make a large hatchback there, absurdly branded as a Mini. And they're planning to close the plant for a month next April because the government can't guarantee their supply lines will be available.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
As a former owner of two British motorbikes, a Cowley-built Maestro and an Ital (which was a jumped-up version of the Marina but allegedly "designed in Italy" - hence the name) I acquired a very useful, nay, essential, comprehensive working knowledge of vehicle maintenance. This included the ability to work quickly in the dark and heavy rain by the side of the road.
[EDIT] I also once bought a brand new Montego and the very next day the windscreen wiper motor died and had to be replaced. [/EDIT]

In later life I owned Japanese motorbikes, but sadly knew nothing of how they worked. Didn't need to, you see.

Now I own two Toyota cars with a combined age of 27 years and sadly know nothing of how they work. Never needed to. Because they never, ever, broke down.

A little-known fact: Red Robbo at Longbridge had an obit in the Economist.
The cohort of union leaders at Cowley were superb chess players. That's how they spent almost all their time in the union offices.

Cowley RIP.

Last edited:

Outlaw Hobbs

Another memorable little adventure. Most disturbing moment was riding carefully at a modest pace along the pitch dark gravelly farm track through woodland when the rider directly in front of me inexplicably shot skyward and landed headfirst before toppling to the left, taking out the unfortunate gentleman riding alongside him. It was obvious something had caused the front wheel to stop instantly. Perhaps a short length of fallen branch, carried round in the spokes until it met the fork? The front mudguard stays were adrift on one side and could be the culprits but I'm not convinced about that hypothesis.
More importantly I hope both gentlemen involved are OK. I think the rider taken out had some pain in one hand?
Fortunately the All Upper arrived and quickly resolved the mudguard stay issues with ruthless efficiency.
Many thanks to all organisers and fellow riders.
My journey home involved a short ride from Marylebone to Kings Cross in the pouring rain and crazy London traffic - without doubt the most hazardous part of the whole trip.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Does anyone know if the new chap who had my train ticket from Oxford to Padders actually managed to blag his way on to the train without a court appearance?

kimble

Veteran
It was obvious something had caused the front wheel to stop instantly. Perhaps a short length of fallen branch, carried round in the spokes until it met the fork? The front mudguard stays were adrift on one side and could be the culprits but I'm not convinced about that hypothesis.

Front mudguard stays are designed to detach precisely because of this sort of incident: Without them a foreign object (eg. a stone) can become caught between the inside of the guard and the tyre, causing the mudguard to buckle and eventually fold up under the fork crown, jamming the wheel. The detachable stay means that the gap can open up, releasing the object, preventing damage to the mudguard and avoiding a fall. As it detaches at the hub end of the stay, the risk of further entanglement is reduced - the rider can just stop and shove it back into place.

In this instance I'll guess that an object caught in the spokes was the culprit, and while the detachable stay may have prevented the mudguard from exacerbating the problem, it wouldn't have stopped the object from being caught between the spokes and either itself or the fork. Presumably the object was a twig, which likely broke under the force and pinged away as the bike tipped over. There's a photo that does the rounds of what happens when the object is a suicide-squirrel and the fork is made of carbon fibre, and it's not pretty.

I've had a mudguard-folding incident jam my rear wheel. The effect was to cause a rear-wheel skid, which is much more controllable. I came to a dignified stop (as did the vehicle behind me), looked momentarily confused, then carried the bike to the side of the road to assess the damage. That was the point where I decided that Lidl panniers, with their gravity-powered rack fixings, were a false economy: Panniers shouldn't bounce off their hook into your mudguard when you hit a pothole.

So yeah: Break-away mudguard fixings are important; don't buy panniers with shoddy fixings; and beware of squirrels, twigs, and for that matter, wind-blown plastic bags.

Last edited:

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
A ride that offered a refreshing change from the seaside outings.
Many thanks to Nick for thinking this one up from extensive knowledge of the Chilterns.
Extra thanks to all the people (with one exception) I cajoled into waymarking the route with apparently no issues until less than a mile from the end and to the TECs.
Apologies to the back end of the ride for not dropping a marker where the road through Oxford turned right, and we carried straight on through the pedestrian/cycle section.

kimble

Veteran
One note on waymarking: We had a number of waymarkers position themselves on the nearside corner of a left turn. While this is sometimes necessary due to railings etc, or the group passing through quickly while it's still clustered together, it isn't as visually clear as standing on the far side of the junction.

Loosely related, I found that you have to pay attention when the ride finishes in a city where people actually cycle. Risk of following the wheel of a random muggle off-route while you're half asleep!

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Well.....
Some pedants might complain Oxford is not coastal and hence not suitable. Well, this was a FNRttCloisters, colleges, Chilterns…and an excellent ride, so there, yah boo sucks hairsplitters.....and after the 4x4 spanner trashed the Whitstable works for me, good to be back, regardless of destination....

Back to Friday night. Work goes to the 2130 wire, as ever. Successfully made the 2138 train nonetheless, thanks to well-streamlined exit routine and nothing falling off the bike en route. Train ran bang on time, and I ended up popping down to the NT to see if anyone had turned up really early, the answer was no, before returning to Waterloo, where the Oxfordshire (and Oxfordshire diaspora, in the form of @Fab Foodie ) contingent had now appeared. One Matt was making his first FNR appearance, other Matt had returned for the first time since 2007 (?!!!)- pleased to report he looks nothing like his YACF avatar! :smile: . Back down to the NT, and a good crowd had gathered. Following the usual formalities and informalities, there was a slight delay to the usual departure time, not because of one of those traditional punctures, but because Nick's Garmin was taking its own sweet time in loading the route file up.

There's a really good route between the south bank and Wembley/Harrow neck of the woods. It's called the Jubilee Line. I have ridden one cycling option each way (QOTSA gig at the Arena 2013) and it's not just a long old schlep, it's a long old schlep through grotty 'burbs. Next gig I went to there (also QOTSA as it happens), I let the Tube take the strain, and I'll do the same for the latest one (no, not QOTSA this time!) in a few weeks. But for bikes, fifty of them at least, no alternative but to ride (though trying to get fifty bikes on a Tube or London Overground train would have been an interesting one....). Anyway, going through aforementioned grot was worth it. Or Rickmansworthit.

Harrow was enlivened by a police road closure on the A404 (there was rather a lot of emergency service vehicles in action in various places for some reason, rough guess alcohol....) which entailed a impromptu diversion. As for Moor Park: rather Bishops Avenue, wasn't it? Private roads (fume....'no hoi polloi driving past' they mean). And what was the point of all those F in speed bumps when you know most of the residents drive something ridiculously large, heavy and utterly impervious to those bumps? I'd improve that area with a late night visit from a motorcycle gang. Or a squadron of helicopter gunships...

And then on to Amersham, where the Wilcoxes and assorted helpers had laid out a most excellent spread. Top notch job, ladies and gents, thank you. No cake left untasted by me, I think, and it was all splendid. Fairly sure we were quiet enough on arrival and departure for complaints not to prevent a return visit. We were undoubtedly collectively less noisy than a 125 bike with an aftermarket exhaust…;)

On towards Wendover, and the gravel-strewn stretch about which Nick had warned us. Definitely it was a case of take your time, pick your line carefully, give the person in front plenty of room…unfortunately, as has already been noted, someone came a cropper, hope they're OK. Peter was the one who suffered the hand injury, but he was fine to continue. Then to Thame, via the Phoenix Trail (a Sustrans off-road path that actually works, pass smelling salts). Noticed I had a bit of a mechanical issue (right SPD cleat was a bit loose)- sorted it at a regroup & didn't even take the shoe off. More off-road paths, and into Oxford, arriving at the 'spoons bang on Nick's ETA of 9.00. My booked train wasn't until 11.16 (though I had an off-peak ticket rather than an advance, so I could have got an earlier one, I thought it better to make use of the reservations) so plenty of time for food, multiple coffees and chinwagging. No problems with either train (though the booked GWR one from Southampton ended up following the delayed stopping SWR service that I could have taken instead) and home just before three.

Great job Nick, thanks everyone. Hoping for dry conditions and an easterly wind on the south coast on the morning of 13 October.....

Last edited:

StuAff

One note on waymarking: We had a number of waymarkers position themselves on the nearside corner of a left turn. While this is sometimes necessary due to railings etc, or the group passing through quickly while it's still clustered together, it isn't as visually clear as standing on the far side of the junction.

Loosely related, I found that you have to pay attention when the ride finishes in a city where people actually cycle. Risk of following the wheel of a random muggle off-route while you're half asleep!
That....also, point your bike in the direction of travel!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Good news. The vicar's husband was at home on Friday night (which probably meant that the dogs were, too), and completely forgot about us using the carpark behind his garden as a bike park.

One part of me would love to see this route run at high summer - you probably missed out on hot red kite, muntjac and roe deer action because you were too early. But open windows would really test the ability of 50-odd riders to keep stumm.

kimble

Veteran
I spotted one red kite straggler in the vicinity of Thame. They've been a bit on and off this year, if my various visits to Watlington are representative.

Overnight bike rides are better without any muntjac entanglements. I'd rather risk my luck with the sonic badgers of Chinnor Hill.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I take it this ride didn't go down Chinnor Hill? That would give me the fantods in the dark. Coombe Lane is bad enough and that's super-wide...I've nearly gone over the opposite kerb at 50mph in my dozy 3am state.

StuAff

I take it this ride didn't go down Chinnor Hill? That would give me the fantods in the dark. Coombe Lane is bad enough and that's super-wide...I've nearly gone over the opposite kerb at 50mph in my dozy 3am state.
No Chinnor Hill- we went Great Missenden-Wendover- SW towards Chinnor, but then off the B4009 onto the Phoenix Trail, NW to Thame.

robjh

Legendary Member
No Chinnor Hill- we went Great Missenden-Wendover- SW towards Chinnor, but then off the B4009 onto the Phoenix Trail, NW to Thame.
Has anyone got a map of our actual route, especially of the Amersham to Phoenix trail section? I don't remember going through Gt Missenden (though we certainly passed near it), and I'm pretty sure I waymarked here.

Top Bottom