FNRttC FNRttC Oxford 21st September 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
An unexpected domestic intervention means I am going to struggle to make the start time. But squinting at the map posted a few days ago makes it look a lot like you will pass extremely close to my house. Any chance of a heads-up on the route just west of maida vale: looks like you will be taking either the harrow road or the canal or some combination. Apologies if asking is terrible form!
A404 Harrow Road and then turning north in Wembley.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
There are three possibilities.
1. Everyone's name goes on the list, whether they want it or not. Being named publicly on a forum you don't even visit (not all Fridays are CCers) is a condition of going on a Fridays ride. No exceptions.
2. The sign up includes an opt-out. Big PITA for the organisers to have to track people who have asked not to be named.
3. No list. CCers who want to announce that they are going are still free to do so.

3 seems best to me.

Completely agree 3 is the only reasonable way. Cc'ers will announce their participation and many others are in contact too

I hope you all have a great ride, and that the wind is behind you.

Are you on a wind up, or is that a wind up .. .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Completely agree 3 is the only reasonable way. Cc'ers will announce their participation and many others are in contact too

Are you on a wind up, or is that a wind up .. .
When Our Great And Glorious Leader (Simon) led the rides, a list of names was distributed, sufficiently "redacted" to keep the riders' identity private except to the people who knew them anyway. Nobody sent a hitman round to my gaff. How far do people want to take this obsession with confidentiality? Should all riders take a vow of silence, and wear ski masks and dark glasses?

Tail winds, folks. Have fun.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I think we have a public right to know if they have paid their two quid.
Everyone has paid their two quid. Or they can't ride. It's the CTC membership that is "try before you buy".

Some people won't like having their names, even their internet names, posted as going on a ride. This tends to apply more to women than to men. So a decision was taken to have no lists. Overall numbers is fine, and we're not ever publishing the email addresses of everyone on the ride, End. Of.

When the decision was made, I was Chief Steward, so it's me you're having a go at, which is fine (heat & kitchen etc).

rb58

Enigma
There are three possibilities.
1. Everyone's name goes on the list, whether they want it or not. Being named publicly on a forum you don't even visit (not all Fridays are CCers) is a condition of going on a Fridays ride. No exceptions.
The list was only ever first name, so not quite the same thing. I do acknowledge however that if one has an extremely unusual first name, you could possibly be identified.

Feels like a disproportionate reaction to a very small risk.

swansonj

Guru
There's much more that could be usefully unpacked about the list-of-names issue. How to balance the interests of people who have legitimate reason not to want their ride plans publicised against those who have legitimate reason to want to know who else is going to be in close proximity to them in the middle of the night in the middle of nowhere. Whether the proportion of people who have reason to feel vulnerable and the proportion of people who intimidate other people are either higher or lower on a Fridays than in the population at large. How far the Fridays are still identified with CycleChat and whether CycleChat is still seen as a safe place and whether any forum is different. How far the Fridays are a community as opposed to a ride and how easy it is for what sorts of people to enter that community and what it means to be part of a community. Whether data protection officers are the best people to determine data protection policy (just as whether power system engineers are the best people to determine energy policy :smile:).

But it seems not right to hijack a thread about a specific ride (and I feel uncomfortable pushing too hard given that this is the first year for seven or eight years when I won’t have been on a Friday). Hope you all had a really good ride and not too many perspiring dreams at the end.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
All riders fed and watered and sent off after the halfway stop. Great grub.
Thanks to @mmmmartin for driving round the motorway to help out - it really did make a difference having an extra pair of hands, and not just because it meant we could make sure that this:
img_20170710_100414774_hdr-jpg.jpg

is now in his hands, not ours.

As an experiment, I'd describe self-catering as an unqualified success - though I might have said something different if today's rain had happened last night and we'd been mopping up rather than running around with brooms, and may yet revise my view if we have complaints that the club was extraordinarily rowdy as it hit the road. I'll let @rvw estimate how much prep time was involved (my main involvement was reassurance, and worrying that we'd undercatered - though in the end a shout of "£7, 1 roll, 3 bits of cake" worked better than I'd feared - and we had just the right amount of rolls for seconds for those who wanted them), but on the night it was a shift for four of us from a 2:30 alarm call to a 5:45 second bedtime.

I trust that the second half of the ride (which is lovely) was successful, and that @mmmmartin made it home safely.

Top Bottom