FNRttC FNRttC Oxford 21st September 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If we posted the riders as, for example:
Boris J
Jacob R-M

then that could make people easily identifiable and so it's best not to.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Boris J
Jacob R-M

then that could make people easily identifiable and so it's best not to.
Then just publish the first names. Some one complains and you pull the list. Sorry thats rubbish. The lists have always been published.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Enjoy yourselves, you lovely people, enjoy. With velasarf binned could have joined you but the lovely Helen organised a family Chinese meal out when she heard I wasn't riding.

Speaking as a recently retired Data Protection Officer (amongst other things) GDPR does apply to us. A first name could be unique and identifiable without a surname initial (Kylie as an extreme example).

If a number of people, not necessarily anyone posting here, have requested that names aren't published, for very good reasons, then rather than listing some and not others, it's easier not to list any.

Think of it like going to a party. You know some people, not others, and then you have a nice surprise seeing someone you haven't seen on a ride for 5 years.

kimble

Veteran
If a number of people, not necessarily anyone posting here, have requested that names aren't published, for very good reasons, then rather than listing some and not others, it's easier not to list any.

None of which stops an enthusiastic person going through the thread and building an unofficial list of people (by username) who've already publicly announced that they're coming. It's just not a worthwhile use of the organiser's time.

Personally, what I'm mostly interested in is the total number, as that tends to influence the style of the ride. I believe that's already been posted. If I want to know if a specific person is coming, I tend to ask them directly. I must confess to checking the Cycling Bechdel-Wallace status[1] of the list, but that's mostly of academic interest.

[1] In a cycling context, I use a simple formula: "Are there more women on the ride than people called John?" It's alarming how many rides fail to achieve this, but the Fridays usually manage it.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member

nomadbedouin

An unexpected domestic intervention means I am going to struggle to make the start time. But squinting at the map posted a few days ago makes it look a lot like you will pass extremely close to my house. Any chance of a heads-up on the route just west of maida vale: looks like you will be taking either the harrow road or the canal or some combination. Apologies if asking is terrible form!

swansonj

Guru
Speaking as a recently retired Data Protection Officer (amongst other things) GDPR does apply to us. A first name could be unique and identifiable without a surname initial (Kylie as an extreme example).

Think of it like going to a party. You know some people, not others, and then you have a nice surprise seeing someone you haven't seen on a ride for 5 years.
Surprises aren’t always nice surprises.

Quite often, if you know that person X is going to a party, you might decide not to. Or at least you have a chance to mentally prepare yourself. If you don’t know who else is going, you don’t get that option. The reason for avoiding X might be petty and unworthy - or might actually be quite serious.

kimble

Veteran
On the train. Only mildly delayed, thanks to the drunk who decided to pee on it as it arrived just about managing to stay upright throughout.

StuartG

slower but further
Boris J
Jacob R-M
I think we have a public right to know if they have paid their two quid.

You could restrict the list to the riders email rather than a public forum. When fellow club members want to hide from each other it is not 't really a club anymore.

Top Bottom