FNRttC pre-ride: London/Bristol to Cardiff, May 20th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had forgotten about this pre-ride thread. Oh well, the way I think, everything gets a bit mangled into one. I'm so pleased that you can remember stuff like this Adam, because I can never remember the sequence of villages etc... and the waft of 'freshly cut grass over Didcot' is another one of those moments. :biggrin:

'Frank in the zone' reminds me that I have that photo, including a picture of Lee, who was good fun - particularly as he strikes me as one of those "teetering on the edge of old git status knowledgeable types" who knows a lot and is amusing company. Next stop, Lee is an FNRttC. Don't mind me - I'm not a brilliant judge of character! :smile: Oh, and bring your bro - we'll provide enough salacious gossip with photo opportunities to fill the Mail on Sunday for a week or two. Imagine Davy - dressed awfully (even more so than when you met him) lurching around Whitstable... with his 'Kiss Me Quick' innertubes and his dirty old bike. Welcome!

aoqcll.jpg

Lee in action, having hypnotised Frank...Nice rider, with a vintage Alan (one of three) and a helpful font of 'local knowledge' as we wended our way.

mistral

Guru

Didn't take long to find her - http://www.sky-flash...magepage90.html

More later

mistral

Guru
Did I mention that I went for a little ride on Friday? First leg to Wantage where I met up with Davy, Geoffrey, Adam Frank and Martin. Pleasant lunch, although a delayed start and slow service, as is often the norm.

We headed west to Swindon where Dave and Geoffrey left us and we lurched to our next puncture stop. Adams rear tyre had decided it was going to expire a day earlier than the rest of the world and kept nipping the tube to remind us.

Frank kept the pace up and Adams’ tyre kept tugging at our schedule. At the next enforced break valves had entered the fray, snapping at will.

A swift high tea (courtesy of the CoOp) was taken at Malmesbury and we were off again. Not before Teef’s head was turned by a young lady dressed head to toe in black skin tight lycra. Simultaneously a young lady’s stomach was turned by an aging lothario in black skin tight lycra.

The day was taking its toll, the mileage was sapping energy and as the bridge came into sight me and Adam decided the only way we were to get some food, a little rest and make the start was to jump on a train.

A quick dash into Aust services, where WH Smiths dispensed a Conti Tyre (courtesy of User482) then on over the bridge. We came across a dark derelict looking building in a down at heel part of town – Chepstow Railway station. On the train we joined McWobble and as we stepped off in Cardiff at 10:30 the London train had just arrived with the ride leader and many others.

Fed and watered we joined the start under the dramatic facade of the Welsh Assembly building. Adam replaced the dodgy tyre and we were soon “on our way”.

Many local cyclists were on the ride and we chatted through the night. This had a bit of everything, city centre revellers, incoherent youngsters hanging out of speeding hot hatches, suburbs dotted with social clubs and pubs, complete with friendly natives shouting words of encouragement. Soon we were off the main roads and plunged into near complete darkness. A little disconcerting to some Londoners who rarely experience real darkness. The people were lovely at the quaint and cosy halfway stop. We took in some industrial landscape – much still in production as the ride wended it’s way to the seaside.

Finally in Mumbles we had a splendid breakfast at Mumbles Pier cafe, before the sane headed for home and those still with a thirst climbed up to Castellamare a splendid bar where we enjoyed a beer or two overlooking the sea before our journey home. Anyone remember the wedding party?

Immense thanks to Frank, Martin and Adam and everyone else who made this one another memorable ride.

My friends tell me total mileage is not important, but when I got home I had done over 200 including the 16 miles from Paddington, that's important to me!

Not before Teef’s head was turned by a young lady dressed head to toe in black skin tight lycra. Simultaneously a young lady’s stomach* was turned by an aging lothario in black skin tight lycra.
Oooooh! You are awful...but I like you! :smile: Harsh but more than fair. Nice memories Mick, thanks. And a very good point about the night sky so dark, it was fun to imagine the light creeping around the edges...

*Our friend had no noticeable stomach to turn. But she could borrow one of mine in an emergency! :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
And was it Luckington? the 'longest village in England, that we rolled through? I always thought it was Combe Martin, where I used to go for holiday, but that may be 'The longest High St'.
My brain hurts.

Not long, Martin?

Sorry, not Long Martin, with the longest parish church?

Confused? Me too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I didn't hang around too long in Old Sodbury in case it was a parish council policy statement and not the village name.

lilolee

Veteran

I'm glad you caught me just as I sucked in my stomach.

I have a feeling you could be right about FNRttC. Whitstable/Folkstone. I may cheat and drive to Rochester, do the ride and then go back for the car.

It was great meeting all of you and I will definately be out again soon.

I'm glad you caught me just as I sucked in my stomach.

I have a feeling you could be right about FNRttC. Whitstable/Folkstone. I may cheat and drive to Rochester, do the ride and then go back for the car.

It was great meeting all of you and I will definately be out again soon.

You may do, but, particularly with Whitstable, it's good to rely on pure cycling experience.

Top Bottom