FNRttC pre-ride: London/Bristol to Cardiff, May 20th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
I posted this in the main thread a few days ago but thought I should copy it into a separate one as it got rather buried under the main discussion

I've mapped a route for those planning to join for the ride out from London to Cardiff (NB this is the correct one - the one in the original post was wrong)

'Teef and I will be meeting by the pond at Harefield at 9:00.

Elevenses and meet-up with the Esher / Staines contingent at Wallingford (venue tba - anyone know a nice cafe?)

Lunch somewhere in the vicinity of Swindon.

High tea and meet the Bristol contingent at the services just before the Severn Bridge around 6pm

Dinner - needs a bit of thought given evening rugby match in Cardiff (anyone have any recommendations?)

Meet up with others at Millenium Hall from 11:30pm

I am pretty familiar with the eastern and western ends of the ride but have only ridden a few bits between Didcot and Wootton Bassett - but it looks fairly straightforward on the map with crossing Swindon appearing to be the only possible complication. Having done the western end recently, I've changed from my original plan, which involved some lanes sections, to a less hilly route which mainly uses some pleasant A and B roads. It's about 2 miles longer than the original one with 1,000 feet less climbing.

So far I have:
Aperitif
Flying Dodo
Me
Mistral (Wallingford)
User482 (Bristol)
DavyW (possible)
Big Martin (possible)

Mick / Davy - is Wallingford a good place to meet? Not sure which way you would be coming, but we could come a bit further south if you had a better / earlier meeting suggestion.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Sorry but I'm going to pull out of this. It does sound a fantastic ride though, have a great time!

iZaP

Über Member
I'm not doing the fnrttc, but I would be quite interested to cycle to cardiff OR bristol, because train tickets out to london from cardiff are a bit expensive.

gbs

Guru
This distance is way beyond my previous experience. So I will lurk with the intent of joining X at Staines and bailing out at Swindon or thereabouts - unless of course anyone feels that is not pukka.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've got a cheap train ticket from Southampton to Cardiff.... but no bike reservation. I was just going to take the chance of not getting on, but depending on the weather, I'm just beginning to ponder riding and joining you at the Severn Bridge services....unless you can know of a more salubrious watering hole in the environs of Chipping Sodbury?

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm not doing the fnrttc, but I would be quite interested to cycle to cardiff OR bristol, because train tickets out to london from cardiff are a bit expensive.

Do join us if you like! Would you get a train back, or ride back from, say, Bristol (or Malmesbury)...? If the latter I can suggest an interesting return route.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
This distance is way beyond my previous experience. So I will lurk with the intent of joining X at Staines and bailing out at Swindon or thereabouts - unless of course anyone feels that is not pukka.

Sounds fine to me! DavyWalnuts, if he comes, will be starting from Staines.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I've got a cheap train ticket from Southampton to Cardiff.... but no bike reservation. I was just going to take the chance of not getting on, but depending on the weather, I'm just beginning to ponder riding and joining you at the Severn Bridge services....unless you can know of a more salubrious watering hole in the environs of Chipping Sodbury?

Hi Pete,

We'll be going through Chipping Sodbury on the main road so could meet there but I don't know the place so can't suggest anywhere.

We're due to meet User482 at the services and stop for a coffee there so that might be the best plan. It has the benefit of being very easy to find! However, if Steve - or anyone else more local - does know somewhere better we could change.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dinner - needs a bit of thought given evening rugby match in Cardiff (anyone have any recommendations?)

Keep well out of the centre, I reckon. St Mary Street will be carnage. If I were you I'd get down to the Bay - although a lot of the restaurants there will be uninspiring chains, it's quite a nice vibe as a whole and there are places where it will be easy to keep an eye on your bikes. Anyway, I've a soft spot for PizzaExpress...

I do know somewhere else that serves a wide range of real ales and continental beers, but there's no way I'm directing you there before the ride, or it'll be the last we see of you all...

U

User482

Hi Pete,

We'll be going through Chipping Sodbury on the main road so could meet there but I don't know the place so can't suggest anywhere.

We're due to meet User482 at the services and stop for a coffee there so that might be the best plan. It has the benefit of being very easy to find! However, if Steve - or anyone else more local - does know somewhere better we could change.

There's not much around there unfortunately...

(edit)
but I did find this pub: http://www.boarsheadpub.co.uk/

Not been there, but it looks nice, and is close to the bridge.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Keep well out of the centre, I reckon. St Mary Street will be carnage. If I were you I'd get down to the Bay - although a lot of the restaurants there will be uninspiring chains, it's quite a nice vibe as a whole and there are places where it will be easy to keep an eye on your bikes. Anyway, I've a soft spot for PizzaExpress...

I do know somewhere else that serves a wide range of real ales and continental beers, but there's no way I'm directing you there before the ride, or it'll be the last we see of you all...

Thanks Claud,

I wanted to have a look at the Bay area as I didn't get to see it the other week so that is a good suggestion.

Very wise of you to recommend that I keep 'Teef out of that den of temptation - we know what he's like...!

Will you be joining us for a pizza?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Thanks Claud,

I wanted to have a look at the Bay area as I didn't get to see it the other week so that is a good suggestion.

Very wise of you to recommend that I keep 'Teef out of that den of temptation - we know what he's like...!

Will you be joining us for a pizza?

Depends on the timing. I'm running a van full of bikes up so need to allow for people picking them up, and finding somewhere to leave the van if I don't have a volunteer to whisk it back to Swansea...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Staines? Urgh. "Lower Windsor" - please! :smile: Morning Geoffrey.

You posh git teef... Would that Lower Windsor also include Runnymede??

Anyhow, as Frank and Dell know, I wont be do this night ride, however, in reading this thread I am keen on following this ride out then back, at some stage.. I see a fee others are too, so am open to suggestions...

Top Bottom