FNRttC pre-ride: London/Bristol to Cardiff, May 20th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
BTW Frank - do you thinkthis thread title might be a bit confusing to anyone looking here to find out about the FNRttC? It makes it look like there's another one, rather than simply an insane offshoot of the Cardiff-Swansea. :whistle:

Yeh Frank, are you sure you know the way to Swan Hosé? Cor! Talk about misleading people Frank. Next thing, you'll be asking everyone to bring a buff on your FNRttheClaud.

I'm wondering who to trust with my body now... you, or Dr Beeching's leftovers. Tsk.

:rolleyes: (Down time - I'm bored :smile: )

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
BTW Frank - do you thinkthis thread title might be a bit confusing to anyone looking here to find out about the FNRttC? It makes it look like there's another one, rather than simply an insane offshoot of the Cardiff-Swansea. :whistle:

OK, I'll change it.

Bossy...
whistling.gif

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Yeh Frank, are you sure you know the way to Swan Hosé? Cor! Talk about misleading people Frank. Next thing, you'll be asking everyone to bring a buff on your FNRttheClaud.

I'm wondering who to trust with my body now... you, or Dr Beeching's leftovers. Tsk.

:rolleyes: (Down time - I'm bored :smile: )

'Teef - I don't know what you've had for lunch but it must have been good stuff!

mistral

Guru
OK, I did a bit of a swift ride out on Sunday morning to check out a route to Wallingford, went via Ascot & Twyford. I'm now definitely up for this challenge.

I could potentially go through Stains and then via Marlow & Christmas Common, if anyone else is going that way?

What time will the three amigos be in Wallingford?

OK, I did a bit of a swift ride out on Sunday morning to check out a route to Wallingford, went via Ascot & Twyford. I'm now definitely up for this challenge.

I could potentially go through Stains and then via Marlow & Christmas Common, if anyone else is going that way?

To be Frank - I don't know. Best ask the driver! :tongue:

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist

Sounds good.
Wallingford is about 33 miles from Harefield so I am expecting us to be there around 11:00 - 11:15.
But we'll be going via Christmas Common, and could easily tweak to get to Marlow at around 10:15. I know a nice little cafe in Marlow where we could meet.

Is the food OK there - we don't need a case of Marlow Bottom to contend with?

iZaP

Über Member
Do join us if you like! Would you get a train back, or ride back from, say, Bristol (or Malmesbury)...? If the latter I can suggest an interesting return route.

Well..my favourable option would be to get the train back from Bristol or Swindon (v. cheap tickets to london from there).

I wish I could cycle back...but without another person or a GPS, I doubt I'd make it, I would get definitely get lost. :biggrin:

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Well..my favourable option would be to get the train back from Bristol or Swindon (v. cheap tickets to london from there).

I wish I could cycle back...but without another person or a GPS, I doubt I'd make it, I would get definitely get lost. :biggrin:

OK, sounds like a good plan!
I was expecting us to be at Swindon by around 1, and then get lunch. We would definitely be at Bristol by 6 - maybe earlier - depending on how long we take for lunch / tea.
You could meet me in Ealing. I'll be leaving at about 8 to head up to Harefield - or you might be better to meet up with Mistral - who will be coming from Esher to Marlow

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

A4. Perfectly do-able

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
OK - revised route is here.

Sorry, the route has a couple of weird detours on it which need to be ignored. I got sick of re-drawing it as there doesn't seem to be a command in BikeHike for 'please stop taking me up every little cycle track; I want to stay on the ****ing road!' And RidewithGPS, which does have that command (although it calls it something different) does not believe that you can cycle over the Severn bridge.

Meet at:
- Harefield Pond at 9:00am or
- Cafe in the Park, Marlow at around 10:30am or
- Services before the Severn Bridge 6-7:00pm

Anyone got any particular ideas for lunch around Swindon, or shall we just play it by ear?

We can stop for tea in Malmesbury - there are a couple of decent cafes - depending on how we are doing for time.

Dinner in Cardiff - probably down by the Bay, maybe Pizza (thought: maybe we need to book somewhere cos of rugby match...) around 9:30pm

gbs

Guru
O And RidewithGPS, which does have that command (although it calls it something different) does not believe that you can cycle over the Severn bridge.

Meet at:
- Harefield Pond at 9:00am or
- Cafe in the Park, Marlow at around 10:30am or
- Services before the Severn Bridge 6-7:00pm

In ridewithgps. there is a "draw lines" option.

I will am at the Marlow rendezvous. Can any one beat Apero to the punch with Philip Marlowe pun! Let's wexchange mobile numbers via PMs

Top Bottom