FNRttC pre-ride: London/Bristol to Cardiff, May 20th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Davy, Geoffrey (and Arnold Izap if still a possible) - what works best for you - Wallingford or Marlow?
Is there a sensible place for the Southern contingent to meet up beforehand?

Staines works well for me.

As for Wallingford v Marlow - I sit on the fence given that I wil bail out before Bristol so the Marlow detour will shorten my return leg.

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
It's a bit late to bring "sensible" into this caper, isn't it?
For calibration purposes, remember this is coming from someone who won't go camping in case she gets her hair wet...!
whistling.gif

Andrij

Über Member
What a relief! I didn't see* this thread until after I bought my ticket to Caerdydd. Otherwise I might have done something rather silly.

*Been a bad boy - haven't read any threads on CC for at least the last three weeks.

mistral

Guru
That's no excuse. I bought (very cheap) train tickets back in February, but I'm cycling. G'wan.......

It is an excuse, just a poor one.

I also have a ticket, and will bring it along in the knowledge that I won't use it. But it's there should I feel the need to hang around in some one horse town in the middle of the west country for hours on end waiting for the 21 something from Paddington ...

It would be good to see you on the ride, give it some thought, it's the only sensible option, I think you know that.

What a relief! I didn't see* this thread until after I bought my ticket to Caerdydd. Otherwise I might have done something rather silly.

*Been a bad boy - haven't read any threads on CC for at least the last three weeks.

And remember, Andrij - Sandals is a Carribean resort, not footwear, except on yacf. :biggrin: Everyone riding has a ticket, which can easily be converted into a Badge of Honour. :smile:

Andrij

Über Member
So all I would need to do is
1) convince my boss to give me the day off work - with only 1 week's notice (if I ask today)
2) leave my flat in time to ride the 50km to Harefield for a 09:00 arrival (06:30 departure?)
3) cycle another 230km to Cardiff (further than I've cycled in one 24hr period since DunRun2010
4) then manage to ride all night to Swansea
5) and not be mistaken for a certain fearless leader after breakfast the next morning.

If one of you can recover my Ribble by next Wednesday I'll do it. But in my current state of 'fitness' and on the heavy bike - no way. Don't think the idea itself is bonkers, but there's no way I'd manage. Perhaps next time.

mistral

Guru
So all I would need to do is
1) convince my boss to give me the day off work - with only 1 week's notice (if I ask today)
2) leave my flat in time to ride the 50km to Harefield for a 09:00 arrival (06:30 departure?)
3) cycle another 230km to Cardiff (further than I've cycled in one 24hr period since DunRun2010
4) then manage to ride all night to Swansea
5) and not be mistaken for a certain fearless leader after breakfast the next morning.

If one of you can recover my Ribble by next Wednesday I'll do it. But in my current state of 'fitness' and on the heavy bike - no way. Don't think the idea itself is bonkers, but there's no way I'd manage. Perhaps next time.

All good reasons (not excuses)

Shame though as it would have been good to have had your company

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
Probably just a bit far, Andrij, given you're starting a bit further east and loss of faster bike. But it is quite a tantalizing distance, if you're used to long distance cycling. Quite a stretch but there's plenty of time, its not too hilly, decent roads and best of all, something really good to aim for - meeting the big group for a gentle warm down to swansea!

One other bit of good news: I'm in chepstow now and its still light. I thought we'd have to do the last bit in the dark but it looks as if we've a good chance of reaching carfiff at dusk.

Andrij

Über Member
Probably just a bit far, Andrij, given you're starting a bit further east and loss of faster bike. But it is quite a tantalizing distance, if you're used to long distance cycling. Quite a stretch but there's plenty of time, its not too hilly, decent roads and best of all, something really good to aim for - meeting the big group for a gentle warm down to swansea!

One other bit of good news: I'm in chepstow now and its still light. I thought we'd have to do the last bit in the dark but it looks as if we've a good chance of reaching carfiff at dusk.

I've ridden out to Bristol from here (mostly along the A4) and did it on the heavy bike, too (it being the only bike I had). That worked out to 200km. But the big difference was that I got a full night's sleep before doing 100km the next day, rather than continuing on.

Hope to manage a few other silly rides this year, such as Adam's to Dover.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Any chance we can have a list of Riders who are cycling half there/back, way in and the half way point please?

For me, am happy to go cycle to the Swindon area lunch stop, drop down to the A4 and cycle all the way back. Am happy to wait and meet peeps at Staines, but I am prefering to meet up with the main bunch at Cookham/Bourne End Areas...

Top Bottom