FNRttC pre-ride: London/Bristol to Cardiff, May 20th 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Frank. Frank. Wake up. Are you receiving me?
Come on man, you have only ridden 600kms this weekend, twice around Wales... what are you man or mouse? I can't understand why you are still asleep!
Hope it all went ok. :smile:

Harefield: 09:00
Adam
You
Me
Geoffrey

Bourne End:
Davy

Wallingford:
Mick

Swindon:
Rich

Bristol:
Steve
Des

The Dark Side:
Cycling sheep

des.o

Veteran
Thanks to the combined efforts of Messrs Gold, Sullivan, Grant and Brady (honorary messr) I'm now on the Cardiff ride. Was thinking of training it to Bristol and meeting you at the Severn Bridge for the final few miles in. Any idea on a meeting spot and time for the Bristol contingent?

OP
OP
frank9755

frank9755

Cyclist
I'm back!

Sorry for the silence but doing the two lengths of Wales over the weekend, and work having the cheek to get busy on me today, have kept me tied up. Good news is that, if we'd not had this arranged, I'd have had to work this coming weekend
cool.gif

Des, great that you're up for joining us for the last leg (unless the 'Teef charm persuades you to nip up to Harefield, that is...). The aim is to have a coffee stop at the Severn Bridge services, leaving at 7:00.

Geoffrey is going to meet me in Greenford and we'll roll up to Harefield together.

Davy, where are you planning to meet us? If you're up for an early-ish start, the roll up to Harefield from your direction isn't bad, with some reasonable lanes via Iver, Denham and so on. And you could peel off to the train at Didcot, Swindon or somewhere, or loop back on the A4 (good option if there is a strong westerly wind!). Give me a shout if you want to discuss routes.

We should probably swap phone numbers - will pm mine to everyone.

Frank

Edit - Geoffrey, missed you off the PM as it only lets me do six and we've already swapped!

gbs

Guru
I am researching the Swindon bailout option. Route A is the obvious Aldbourne link to the A4 at Hungerford. Route B
might be the path that runs S from Swindon to Marlborough, parallel to the A346. Is it suitable for weary riders on skinny tyres?

I have posted this query in the Tour forum.

gbs

Guru
I am researching the Swindon bailout option. Route A is the obvious Aldbourne link to the A4 at Hungerford. Route B
might be the path that runs S from Swindon to Marlborough, parallel to the A346. Is it suitable for weary riders on skinny tyres?

I have posted this query in the Tour forum.

Unanimous NO vote re B on the Tour and Expedition forum.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Frank, I shall meet you outside the "Walnut" tree pub, in Bourne End. I shall be there for around half 9, which is just before you should be passing through?

Gbs, the Aldbourne link to Hungerford and A4 all the way back would be my preferred route.. is your okay with that? We can mix it up a bit once past Reading if you want and if it gets tooo boring..

U

User482

Thanks to the combined efforts of Messrs Gold, Sullivan, Grant and Brady (honorary messr) I'm now on the Cardiff ride. Was thinking of training it to Bristol and meeting you at the Severn Bridge for the final few miles in. Any idea on a meeting spot and time for the Bristol contingent?

Hi Des

A fellow Hammer sufferer!

If you're taking the train to Bristol, Parkway is much closer to the meeting point than Temple Meads.

gbs

Guru
Frank, I shall meet you outside the "Walnut" tree pub, in Bourne End. I shall be there for around half 9, which is just before you should be passing through?

Gbs, the Aldbourne link to Hungerford and A4 all the way back would be my preferred route.. is your okay with that? We can mix it up a bit once past Reading if you want and if it gets tooo boring..

DAVY, re Aldbourne YES. gbs

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Frank, I'm toying with the idea of meeting you at Swindon. My poor crippled body may not be up to the full monty. :rolleyes:

Even Teef's wily charms can't entice me to do the lot. What sort of time would you be there, if you would be so kind?

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
So all I would need to do is
1) convince my boss to give me the day off work - with only 1 week's notice (if I ask today)
2) leave my flat in time to ride the 50km to Harefield for a 09:00 arrival (06:30 departure?)
3) cycle another 230km to Cardiff (further than I've cycled in one 24hr period since DunRun2010
4) then manage to ride all night to Swansea
5) and not be mistaken for a certain fearless leader after breakfast the next morning.

If one of you can recover my Ribble by next Wednesday I'll do it. But in my current state of 'fitness' and on the heavy bike - no way. Don't think the idea itself is bonkers, but there's no way I'd manage. Perhaps next time.
Andrij - go by train. Treat yourself to a cup of coffee. And, as you sip your coffee, run through the list of pre-FNRttCers and make a list - which one are you going to give the kiss of life to at four in the morning? We've all got our preferences.........

des.o

Veteran
Thanks User482 - but all the cheapies went to Temple Mead. Have plenty of time to get up to the Severn Bridge services before 7 anyway. Plus it gives me the opportunity to recce another championship ground. 3 in one trip and a fleeting glimpse of Brighton last week.

See you all at the services - think Martin has my number if there are any changes of plan.

Top Bottom