FNRttC FNRttC Southend 15 March 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
As there isn't an official thread yet, here's an unofficial one. @AKA Bob will be leading, here's his blurb from the email.
"After the quiet winter months the first Friday Night Ride to the Coast of 2019 is almost upon us. On Friday 15th March 2019, as is traditional, we’ll kick off our 2019 season with the chance to enjoy the wonders of nocturnal two wheel adventures with friends as we make our way along the Thames Estuary to Southend-on-Sea.

The Southend-on-Sea ride, like all London based rides, will start at Fridays Central which is located under Waterloo Bridge on the Southbank between the British Film Institute and the National Theatre.

After the usual briefing we will set off at midnight. We’ll cross the Thames and follow the Embankment to the City, admiring the amazing views along the way. Here, instead of joining our usual route along the Mile End Road, we will take the Thames Path through St Katherine’s and Tobacco Docks and onwards to Wapping before we head east once again through East London and Essex.

The halfway stop is the motorway services at Junction 31 which may not be great for food choice, but offers space and warmth if the weather isn’t being kind. From there we will turn north into the stunning Essex countryside before making our final approach towards Southend-on-Sea and breakfast. If the weather is against us we will take a more direct route instead.

For breakfast we will once again be at the Beaches Cafe on the seafront with its south facing views across to the pier and Thames Estuary.

The Southend-on-Sea ride is our shortest one and is a nice flat route, so makes the perfect way to start the season or experience your first Friday Night Ride to the Coast. It's also easy to get back to London.

Registration is now open and the registration form can be found on the Southend-on-Sea ride page on our website. "
I would add that the Junction 31 food choice is not merely less than great, it's terrible. Even before a bunch of lycra-clad locusts have descended on it. And terribly overpriced. I would strongly advise bringing sandwiches or other food of your own...

I am, unsurprisingly, registered.

Trickedem

Guru
Thanks for putting this up Stu.
I'm really looking orward to my first night ride of the season. My first ever night ride was to Southend, so this has some good memories for me. I also like riding back to Strood and using the Tilbury ferry. Makes it a real adventure.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Riders can always bring their own food and on some occasions there has been a suggestion that we bring CAIK, which was then shared on a very wide basis. And very nice it was, too.

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

Oh yes, 'nice flat route'. It's mostly flat, but there are a few nasty little kicks, particularly the ones at Rayleigh and Leigh on Sea.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Oh yes, 'nice flat route'. It's mostly flat, but there are a few nasty little kicks, particularly the ones at Rayleigh and Leigh on Sea.
True but that depends on whether Titus changes the route, which he might do because WEATHER. And I do like that exit from London. And that breakfast at the cafe is in a great position. So a good beginning, middle and end. What's not to like?

OP
OP
StuAff

StuAff

True but that depends on whether Titus changes the route, which he might do because WEATHER. And I do like that exit from London. And that breakfast at the cafe is in a great position. So a good beginning, middle and end. What's not to like?
Indeed so....
(Junction 31 at least has very nice hand dryers....).

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Registered. Not done this one yet.
Need to build on my 8.2 miles so far this year.

Top Bottom