FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton 8th May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
dellzeqq said:
We did alright. 4 punctures and two chain breaks (I'm told Tim H had spare chain links for every size of chain) probably added about thirty minutes to the trip. It would have been more if not for the smart work at the Scout Hut by Hatler and co., and we were fortunate that the first cab office I called got to the top of Reigate Hill in five minutes to carry our one casualty (and its rider) to East Grinstead.

Very little to do with me. All I did was call you to let you know what was happening. The chap (sorry, forgot your name already) whose tyre had popped did all the fixing. And was waymarking within about five miles.

hatler

Guru
Ref the number of punctures. Look at it this way. Together we did a combined total of approx 6000 miles (is that including Will's three runs up the Beacon ?)

I am delighted with the tyres I run in that they puncture only once every 1500 miles. So I reckon only four punctures is an outstanding result.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
GrumpyGreg said:
Thanks one and all. a superb night. special images/thoughts burnt on the neurons....
Folders; folders ascending the Beacon; so wrong, so very very wrong, and yet such a compelling image.

It's just a bike, honest. It happens to hinge in the middle. Just because the UCI in its infinite wisdom banned small-wheeled bikes from competition, they're seen as shopping bikes by many, nothing more. Apart from the legendary and magnificent (non-folding) Moultons, vehicles such as mine are every bit as capable for many types of riding as your typical 26"/700C bike (and I have a 26" folder as well!) . The main factor I wasn't able to keep up with the mighty likes of Aperitif, Radius, Will1985 et al is, well, me. Apart from a little extra drag (possibly- smaller wheels have less drag than larger ones) and two or three kilos of weight compared to a carbon road bike, there's nothing to stop it being as quick for the average rider. I was hitting 40-45 kph on the fast descents, and I'm chicken. And the huge gear range available to me (22 to 125 or so) is bigger than most of you had...
Anyway, it's nice to surprise a few people like that!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
well i am now home after cycling straight on to baby sitting duties at around 8pm after leaving Aperitif in staines on our extended but rewarding journey home! no sleep no rest no shower! stinky! lol! and with being up since friday morning story telling was a mess! awesome night day and early evening! total 165miles and one sore ass! will do full right up and thanks monday as currently making up for lost time with miss donor kebab! night!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm still, after three and a half years of Tony's hospitality, grappling to find the words. I love you Tony! just about covers it (In a manly way, of course) (Actually, the Babe is pretty fond of Tony as well, but in a less manly way)

Tony

Good gods, has it been THAT long since the Things went to Newhaven?

imov9e.jpg

...the mysterious Pavel was not there to take pics - but the greenhouses offered mystery enough...

(If you look closely, Kevin McCloud can be seen taking notes on this novel take on "man meets nature" living space :biggrin:)

hatler

Guru
I really struggled with clothing choice for this one given the huge variance in the Beeb and Metcheck temperature forecasts (8C played 4 C).

At the last minute I decided I couldn't trust my seat pack to do the distance, so plumped instead for the small pannier. This meant I had room to discard my jersey if I got too hot so ran with the long sleeve fleecy top and jersey (as opposed to the alternative s/s top and jersey).

By cripes I'm glad I did that. There was never a propsect of my getting down to just my bottom layer. That was a lot colder than I expected.

Massive thanks to TT and L3 yet again, and all the way markers and TECs. I did a stint at the back and was lucky enough to have nothing go wrong on my watch. The whole organisation thing was brilliant. L3 should be managing a small corporation.

Respect too to Mike E from Hull for whom this was the sixth FNRttC. That's dedication beyond stupidity. :biggrin: He's clearly a persuasive chap because he managed to convice three friends that this is a good idea. Perhaps it's something in the water up there.

And finally, congrats to Paddington for not getting lost on route !

See you all at the Greenhouses on the July ride, possibly with the enitre family hatler. Well, that's the plan anyway.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
StuAff said:
they're seen as shopping bikes by many, nothing more.

not by me, I did a short touring holiday on my three speed Brompton about 10 years ago. Not through choice but because I was due to go on the Sunday and stacked my ATB on the Saturday. Clearly your Dahon is a different, and much more capable, beast to a three speed Brommie! (incidentally the only bike I've ever sold at a profit....)

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
GrumpyGreg said:
not by me, I did a short touring holiday on my three speed Brompton about 10 years ago. Not through choice but because I was due to go on the Sunday and stacked my ATB on the Saturday. Clearly your Dahon is a different, and much more capable, beast to a three speed Brommie! (incidentally the only bike I've ever sold at a profit....)

Now that is impressive (the touring holiday on a three-speed, not selling at a profit- though that's not bad either)!

Andrij

Über Member
One could usually rely on the mysterious Pavel for pics — but he didn't appear on the night.

Perhaps recalled by the Kremlin? :smile:

Top Bottom