FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton 8th May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Another full moon, the prospect of another spectacle.
MacBludgeon arrived at home and reminded me to get changed into something more peloton friendly than my Tesco jeans and Primark T.

2utrhif.jpg

We arrived at HPC with Davywalnuts and redjedi in our four. Immediately Davy was accosted by a group of toilet attendants on their night out and there was an instant bond - one asking to "feel his helmet". Ever the gent, Davy obliged.

25swxn9.jpg

And off.
I was prepared to be a TEC on this ride, and I did wonder about toting a pair of pliers - in case there was something like a loose mudguard stay etc, but no. I was to be in TimH and Alex's team...sorry if I don't remember getting through the formalities Alex - did chat with Tim though at various times and I am consequently familiar with the teddy bears and the balcony. Plenty of action too! A puncture, a split tyre, a lady with a new racing cycle on her maiden ride who, having glanced up at me, promptly fell off her bike in shock. A broken chain. Everything was dealt with. Add to that a crank falling off,(I mean a proper crank - not another voyager) other punctures and 'unfixed' gear bike necessitating a taxi, a nasty incident with a can of beer and the cold...it was an eventful night.
Frustrations that befall the cyclist are sometimes dispiriting - not on a FNRttC - where a problem is shared and diluted among very smart operators. I hope people who go on these rides learn good practice as well as have a night out. Anyway, at the last tech. stop before the break, my fingertips were so cold I could only admire the forethought of much older, experienced riders like richp, who had undergloves...Ah! - us youngsters have much to learn.
Gordon 'Tony' Ramsay, with his helpers dishing out the victuals from the FNRttC-Word kitchen were a welcome sight. Thank you Tony. Apparently the soup was good but I opted for a second tea instead, to accompany the Mrs TimH rock cake. I just loved the atmosphere and finally regained a sense of touch. Then we were off again.
2dloebl.jpg

We regroup at several points during the ride; at this one Radius is updating his 'blog'...

fllvlk.jpg

...whilst waiting here - I think this pub is called 'The Red Lion' :angry:

He had to keep his family informed otherwise his pocket money would be stopped.

2cohpfr.jpg

Regrouping is an important, sometimes chilly part of the action.

So onwards toward the Sussex dawn and Ditchling's beckoning Beacon. More good nature and spirit as the riders battled upwards, some being wobbled by Will as he returned to the base for his second ascent.

2psnek8.jpg

gratuitous Will photo - he's desperate for the pub. (licity)

10hunpz.jpg

...third time up. Slowcoach.:smile:

tyx76.jpg

That man again - with three ascents under his belt.

Then off again - the peloton in hot pursuit of munchies and Will descending Ditchling for a swift treble. From this forum Sitting Duck, redjedi, StuAff, MacBludgeon, Radius, Davywalnuts, Will1985 and User3143 - all conquering the slope for the first (2nd / 3rd time Will) time! Well done all who sailed up it, from wherever you came.
Just one more puncture for Tim to fix. The last few metres for a fatigued damsel on her new bike, the odd surly trucker and we were in Madiera Drive, the Café awash with the unwashed of FNRttC.

117uzat.jpg

Manna from Madeira!

29dzr00.jpg

After sustenance, the Northern posse discuss the Southern phenomenon of 'throwing shapes'...under the watchful eye of Tynan. (A caption competition beckons...)

2zquau1.jpg

And the return continues, with Radius aghast that he is cycling back with a genie on a trike. A genie that has climbed the Beacon!

We were heading back along the Coast to Littlehampton (well it was a bit chilly) and up to Farnborough - via nesting peregrines in a chimney, Arundel, the biggest Mother of a hill and all the little things along the way. All in warm welcoming weather. Great! Thanks all.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
handbag said:
Hello GrumpyGreg, hahaha! I hope that's a compliment. believe it or not I've done 3 sets of 60-80 miles with my handbag already, it's been washed today and ready for the next ride... anyway thank you all for such a fantastic ride and hope to see you soon.

happy pedaling!

A compliment indeed, you looked so unfussed, unflustered and just so downright 'cool' riding along. Maybe I need me a handbag mojo too.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
mike e said:
My friends from Hull (North Yorkshire actually) whilst at the time not totally elated about the whole experience have now, after sobering up and sleeping, agreed it was most excellent. I am now in talks with my favourite rail operator www.nxec.com with a view to charter a train so more people from the North can enjoy the FNRttC.

get your mates, a very excellent bunch of gentlemen, to help you run one oop north and we can all come up to join you!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
we've talked about that before. York to Hull via Goole and Barton sounds good. Although some say that the breakfasts in Grimsby are better, and that the girls are prettier.

mike e

GrumpyGreg said:
get your mates, a very excellent bunch of gentlemen, to help you run one oop north and we can all come up to join you!

I have actually thought about this, the main issue would be transporting people and bikes from London (mainly) to oop North. My thoughts would be to start from Doncaster, which nearly matches HPC on so many aspects but does have a frequent direct rail link to London, and ride across towards Scunthorpe, yes it's getting better, and then on to a crossing of the river Humber on the magnificent Humber Bridge, from then on we would pass Hull, as quick as possible, and on to the coast by way of Spurn Point. Now I have never actually been there but I'm told it is very nice, and also it is eroding fast so might not be here for much longer. There is also a pub fairly close by that I believe do open for breakfast when there are sea fishing matches taking place so could oblige.

A halfway stop would be in the Hull area or could even be my house!!

Another issue is the limited rail links in the northern part of the country meaning a bit of ride back to Hull.

If there is interest I will gladly go into more detail regarding route, mileage, trains, breakfast etc. Perhaps it could be a one off annual event?

tanya g

My second Fnrttc and another enjoyable ride. Hadn't been on my bike since the last L2B couple of mths ago ... and probably won't be back on it till the next fnrttc... these are great for stretching the legs and making sure the everything works.

Although next time I'll not try not to follow the lead guys the wrong way! but it seems to be becoming a bit of a tradition (Gatwick housing estate last time).

Thanks to everyone for the organisation and the tea n' bread.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
dellzeqq said:
we've talked about that before. York to Hull via Goole and Barton sounds good. Although some say that the breakfasts in Grimsby are better, and that the girls are prettier.

+1. Even if I couldn't drag my aforementioned friend along, there are some great cycling roads up there- I'd like to take one of the bikes up when I visit him and the missus some time. I wonder if they'd mind being a cafe stop for a FNRtS (somewhere) :biggrin:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
mike e said:
I have actually thought about this, the main issue would be transporting people and bikes from London (mainly) to oop North. My thoughts would be to start from Doncaster, which nearly matches HPC on so many aspects but does have a frequent direct rail link to London, and ride across towards Scunthorpe, yes it's getting better, and then on to a crossing of the river Humber on the magnificent Humber Bridge, from then on we would pass Hull, as quick as possible, and on to the coast by way of Spurn Point. Now I have never actually been there but I'm told it is very nice, and also it is eroding fast so might not be here for much longer. There is also a pub fairly close by that I believe do open for breakfast when there are sea fishing matches taking place so could oblige.

A halfway stop would be in the Hull area or could even be my house!!

Another issue is the limited rail links in the northern part of the country meaning a bit of ride back to Hull.

If there is interest I will gladly go into more detail regarding route, mileage, trains, breakfast etc. Perhaps it could be a one off annual event?

Like that. Sounds like a good plan.

mike e

York would be a nicer starting point but the train service there is not as good, also the preferable way to cross the bridge is from South to North (nicer views on the approach). Having said all that some sort of Northern FNRttC could be cobbled together to suit the majority.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if it involves crossing the Humber on the bridge it is a MAGNIFICENT plan. Some co-ordination this end of staggered Kings X departures might be needed but there are surely worse places for a cyclist to have to while away an evening than Doncaster if departing London mid afternoon?

matthew b

Big thanks to all involved for a great ride...I was an FNRttC first timer and will definitely be back for some more at some stage...was most impressed by the organisational effort put in and the sheer joy of Lonesome Lane will linger long in the memory, particularly as I seek to eradicate from the memory banks the pain that was the Beacon ascent!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Mike - it was a while back, but I remember catching a 125 train from Peterborough to London that had a guards van - or at least a car that had a load of space for parcels. Do these still exist?

Top Bottom