FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton 8th May 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mike e

Simon, all of the NXEC trains have a separate secure guards van, bikes have to be booked in advance (free of charge) and can be done online at the same type as booking a passenger ticket. As an example I can travel return to London with bike for as little as £18.00!

There are 2 different trains, the diesel which I think can take 4 bikes and the electric which can take 6 bikes, I also think they can carry bents and tandems. In effect the guards van, certanily on the electric train, could carry 20+ bikes all stacked in there, as to whether you could speak to someone as to making this happen, well it would be worth asking. On a Friday night you have about 4 trains an hour going to Doncaster so even sticking to their policy you could transport around 20+ bikes and people.

A return from Hull would mean a possible change at Doncaster, these connecting trains have a policy of 2 bikes but not booked, it is at the guards discretion to take more. There are a limited number of direct services as well. If a number of people showed an interest and this became a problem I could look into alternative's.

mike e

Doncaster, albeit not that a classic starting point, is suggested as an easy link with London. A lot of the trains go to Leeds, whereas arriving into York there are just 4 trains arriving at 21.01, 21.21, 22.01 and 23.13 this would mean a lot of hanging about. Into Doncaster trains arrive ex KX 21.38, 21.51, 22.17, 22.47, 23.24 and 23.49

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
mike e said:
In effect the guards van, certanily on the electric train, could carry 20+ bikes all stacked in there, as to whether you could speak to someone as to making this happen, well it would be worth asking. .

that's what I'm thinking. A Cyclist's Special!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
some nasty little voice in the back of my head just told me to visit google maps. Walking option gives home to Doncaster as 174miles, then thoughts of a mini credit card tour spring to mind. Long weekend, Thursday/Friday and Monday off work. Pootle up, pootle around, pootle back a different route, see some sights.

Wife and kids are going away for a weeks holiday, with her Mum, later this year. How am I going to fill that time I wonder?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
and talking to people on the telephone is, of course, a little less productive than bashing your head against a pillow....I'm not giving up.

Chicketty -bomp, chicketty bomp...

The Cyclist's Special - laden for a humungous ride to the seaside at Hull...a remake of the film. John Betjeman is smiling at the thought, Boris is booking a ticket, Sky News is looking for an angle, Davy is looking for the WCs. Starring Bruce Willis as User10571, Bernard Hill as Adrian, Tom Cruise as mike e, with Simon Legg as the Mummy himself - in the absence of Harry Dean Stanton.
Set catering by Tourist Anthony & Cleopatra...I'll go and lie down now.;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
How about York to Hartlepool? Grand Central are 1000 times more interested than National Express.

Tim Hall

My parting words to Simon, as I left the Madeira were:

"We've got the bowls. We've got the spoons. It's time to roll the franchise out."

I was only joking....

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I found the fact that my 'metal' spoon floated on my soup somewhat disconcerting. I fear you may encounter consumer resistance to the franchise ;)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
GrumpyGreg said:
I found the fact that my 'metal' spoon floated on my soup somewhat disconcerting. I fear you may encounter consumer resistance to the franchise ;)
'Metallised', Greg, 'meatallised'.

Mike's started a thread, so we should probably stroll over there....

handbag

GrumpyGreg said:
A compliment indeed, you looked so unfussed, unflustered and just so downright 'cool' riding along. Maybe I need me a handbag mojo too.
let me sort that out for you, what colour? ? :biggrin:

handbag

dellzeqq said:
I may insist on handbags for the 'genteel' ride.
oooohhh... you've read my mind, Mister. today I was wondering is there any way to do both Genteel and DD in that weekend, it is just too bad to miss two FNRttCs on a row... but at the moment to do 180 miles in one weekend sounds just unrealistic to me, but hey, we've still 2 months to go and who knows I may find a solution. anyway I'm keen to do so....

keep pedaling,
Handbag

Top Bottom