FNRttC FNRttC to Brighton - November 27th 2009

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

redjedi

Über Member
I'm afraid that is something you will never live down ;)

saoirse50

Veteran
Tim Hall said:
The biggest applause goes to Katarzyna. A steady pace, spun gold hair, a winning smile. Until last night her longest ride was 7 miles, or so I understood. Right in at the deep end I think.
And on what was really a sit up and beg kinda thing. I chatted to her in the cafe and was amazed to find it was her first FNRttC.

Tim Hall said:
VAR tyre levers rock.

I've got one of these. Can someone tell me how you use it?
Jane

mistral

Guru
That was a bit of challenge, physically, mentally and meteorologically!

The fact that we all had a relatively easy bail out option at the Cabin, and so few took it is amazing.

Those regulars who missed this, those Mouseketeer types (you know who you are) will never again be able to say they had a tough ride, without some veteran of this fnrttc sagely reminding them that it could never have been as tough as ….

I had to drive a relative home last night, the rain was heavy the roads awash and visibility difficult, it was only then that I realised just how insane we had been on Friday.

Great fun though and a real feeling of accomplishing something.

Thanks all for making it another memorable and fulfilling experience.

des.o

Veteran
Epic stuff - a brilliant end to the 2009 fnrttc season. Many thanks for a year of memorable rides Simon - that one and the genteel soiree were the favourites for me. Like Mistral above, I was listening to the rain hammering down again last night and wondering what on earth we were doing - can only imagine what any drivers coming across the possee at 4am thought.

Top marks to Katarzyna, inspirational stuff - like most people I picked mid-summer and daytime for my first long ride...

Great work from the Hull contingent, I fully expect Mike's Northern passport to be revoked shortly and replaced with soft southerner status.

Lovely cake Pippa and a great spot finding my Waterproof User10571 - quite why I wasn't wearing it at the time is a mystery.

Roll on fnrttc 2010.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've clearly got some thinking to do.

This wasn't the toughest ride we've done. November 2006 was frighteningly cold faces collecting frost and an eye being frozen shut, and nothing we endured this month rivalled the face-freezing push-Adrian-off-the-road horizontal sleet that came at us across the South Downs in March 2008. But.......this time I managed to get more people more wet than ever before. As we left the Cabin Cafe Mark was starting to mop up a small lake.

Maybe it's time to reconsider the winter rides and open registration a week before, when the forecasters have some clue of the weather? I'll ponder on, but I did feel so sorry for Pam, Lucy, Sarah and Clare who travelled all that way to be soaked. I asked them what they had in mind by way of revenge, and they said pouring a bucket of cold water over my head. Fair play.

So, pondering aside, how was it? I started early, wandering over to St. Pancras to meet the Ladies from Hull. Stevevw had already undertaken to do the same, so the two of us guided them out on to the Euston Road (which sapped their confidence a little) and then down Baker Street and through the delightful Lees Place before wandering down Park Lane. All without incident, although a cab driver did his ‘welcome to London’ thing and hooted Lucy as she went on to the traffic island at HPC.

No riders at the Arch! Oh, there they are, hiding round the side because the Royal Parks resurfaced the cycle path a month ago and have now decided to barrier it off. Doh! Three no-shows reduced the happy throng to 47, but we looked an impressive sight heading round Belgrave Square, and even better heading down Balham Hill, happily almost free of traffic. That might, of course, have been some kind of a clue. Tooting was almost deserted; the party animal in London had gone home to batten down the hatches.

The rain started pretty much as yours truly sustained the first of three punctures just south of Wallington. Tim Hall’s magic tool did the sorting, but I was already cursing myself for not chasing down a Conti4Seasons tyre. GP4000s are great items, but they do puncture in the rain, and I’d gone to Brixton Cycles in the hope of buying one, found them sold out, and should really have gone off to Evans.

Tim and I caught the peloton at the top of Portnalls Road, and all went well until....Pippa popped a pneu at the top of Reigate Hill, and, Adrian having guided the group in to the tunnel, another tyre went...

So it was multiple tyrechanging as the main group headed out on to Lonesome Lane, and while the two tyre groups met up with each other in Reigate, thanks to another puncture on Lonesome Lane we didn’t chase down the main group until Adrian had parked them under a garage forecourt in Horley. I offered the group an honourable bailout at Gatwick, but, for reasons best known to themselves, they refused the offer, and we set off for Faygate, Matt and I forming the back end of a rolling road block through the cones at Gatwick (they haven’t worked on it for a month - what is that about?) and then forming part of Katarzyna’s posse all the way down to the Cafe. Rain bounced off the road. Forget the 5mm forecast, this was a serious downpour, and when a car passed us on the A264 it ran through standing water and Adrian got the very worst of the bow wave.

The Cabin Cafe - what a sight! The floor was awash with water that had dripped off these brave souls. People stood inside and outside, knowing they couldn’t get wetter. Mark dispensed bacon sandwiches at a lick, and the Ladies from Hull considered their options. In the event only three of us went off in search of the first train from Crawley, and the remaining 44 of us made our way up the hill from Faygate with happy hearts – made happier by the road showing signs of drying out. I’d abandoned the Warninglid Diversion and substituted the Staplefield Dash, and we did the last 24 miles on smooth roads (and a bit of crap cycle path) more or less free of rain, although the water stood three inches deep on the road in places, and cars coming the other way either slowed to avoid drenching us, or simply didn’t bother. Wayfinders stood shivering at roundabouts, and the heroic Tims fixed puncture after puncture at the back, although I settled for pumping up after my third, and arrived at the Madeira pretty much on the rim.

Brighton! The relief! Food! Train! Sleep! Woken up by Adrian just before East Croydon! Home! Sleep! And then out to do my Imitation Husband bit, which went remarkably well, I thought, although the bottle of Rioja helped. I can tell you that Strictly Come Dancing isn’t the same without Jade, but Ricky’s performance in the dance-off was stunning.

The encomia. The usual words, but with greater meaning. Thanks once again to Adrian for leading and pretty much taking charge for long periods, and to User10571, Pippa, the Tims, Thom, Matthew, Mick, Ema, Joth, Andrij for TECing and wayfinding, and to all those others including a few firsttimers who stood at the side of the road pointing this way when really they would rather have been tucked up in bed. Well done Katarzyna, the Hesleteenies and the Ladies from Hull – this was a tough ride, and I hope that you’ll come back on a brighter night. And thankyou, above all, to Mark – his ever present smile and ‘quirky’ sense of humour, not to mention his warming hands on my bottom are the stuff of CTC rides (at least in Portsmouth). Beneath the bouncing boulevardier breasts beats the heart of a true cyclist.

Bravo! One and all! When the pics come in I’ll do a certificate. And a special certificate for Adrian. He deserves it.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Allright! Rub it in why dont'chya... :smile:
I was still up and about at 1am and it was teeming down. I thought you guys would be in Mitcham at about that time...battling the elements. But.. really wished I was with you all... smidsy's? Bloody inconvenient things...

mistral said:
That was a bit of challenge, physically, mentally and meteorologically!

The fact that we all had a relatively easy bail out option at the Cabin, and so few took it is amazing.

Those regulars who missed this, those Mouseketeer types (you know who you are) will never again be able to say they had a tough ride, without some veteran of this fnrttc sagely reminding them that it could never have been as tough as ….

I had to drive a relative home last night, the rain was heavy the roads awash and visibility difficult, it was only then that I realised just how insane we had been on Friday.

Great fun though and a real feeling of accomplishing something.

Thanks all for making it another memorable and fulfilling experience.

Well firstly what a ride. To hear so many experienced riders say that this was the worst weather that they had ridden in sums it up.

This was only my second night ride to the coast, having done Southend at the start of the year. I met Mr Allsopp at the dripping tap in Bromley and we made our way to HPC. The weather was cold but no sign of rain however we both knew we were in for a soaking at some point. 15 miles later and we met the group at HPC. I was thankful of some familiar faces (Sig and Pippa) from the Southend run. It was also good to meet Dan, Andy’s cousin. Andy had explained that Dan was from up North so I sort of understood why he was wearing what I would wear on a summer’s morning ride. Simon’s talk done we set off.

The route took us through Slone Square which had some great lights in the trees which were very Christmassey. We then headed out of London. A few spots of rain seemed to come and go but as we hit Totting it seemed to just come down constantly. We stopped at some point in an archway. No idea where we were but at that point Kat took off her shoes to wring out her socks I knew it was not just me who was already soaked threw. :eek:

So we moved on and then it happened. My first puncture since I have been riding (a year). It was fixed up very quickly by the Mr & Mrs Tandem (sorry cant remember names) and we were back off with me and Timo at the back. After around a mile of not seeing red flashing lights we both got a little worried we had gone off track but then we noticed some flashing LED’s and we knew we were on track. The main group was waiting at a petrol station that was too having issues with the weather. I was too tired to take a picture but the roof of the place was leaking like a waterfall. Thank you Timo for getting me back to the group.

Onwards to Crawley. This for me was the toughest point. The weather was relentless with points in the road being more like small rivers and I remember seeing the hotels and thinking sod the cost I need to go to bed, but I didn’t, past Manor Royal then on to Faygate.

As we made it to the cabin I truly thought I had bonked. :tongue: My legs were burning and I was struggling to stay awake. The tea and sausage sandwich seemed to kick in but then Simon said a group were heading back to the station. I was sooo tempted but with only 25 or so miles left I battled with my head and had a gel and got back on the bike.

We rode about 4 miles before yet again another puncture and this time it was my back wheel. I was so tiered at this point that I really wished I had gone back to the station. The puncture repair was not helped by my lack of experience and me loosing the skewer bolt. I am so thankful to the tail end group. Timo, Brompton Rider and another gentleman (sorry couldn’t remember my name by this time) got me back on 2 wheels and found the skewer bolt. I have to say I thought I was relatively competent with my bike but in reality I struggled with a simple tyre change. A massive thank you to those who got me back and my bike. I really felt like leaving the bike and walking back to civilisation.

Back on the road and I was beginning to dry out and as I rode into Hassocks I knew we were close. Riding into Brighton felt like a real achievement after the events of the night and to be welcomed by a hearty breakfast and tea was great.

Apologies to all especially the group that got me through my 2nd puncture that I may not have spoken much. I was so tired and battling with my mind most of the way through the ride, speech seemed like another use of energy at some points.

The trains to London Bridge were buggered so we all headed to Victoria. Great group of people for the ride home. At which point Mr Allsopp suggested riding back home to see if I could get to 100 miles. Que another gel and me thinking it would be a good idea !

We dropped Dan off and made our way back to Bromley pulling up at my house at 97 and a bit miles. I was too tiered to do any more, I wish I could of made my ton but standing outside my house I needed bed.

A special thank you to all that assisted me with my punctures, Timo for guiding me back to the group, Adrian and the other riders for always being so positive, Mr Alsopp for getting me home and Simon for another well managed night ride in what must have been difficult circumstances and all the other great people who really make this ride what it is.

See you all soon…weather permitting :biggrin:

Some pictures but not many as I was just too tired

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45105797@N07/sets/72157622897338308/

stevevw

Guru
Mista Preston said:
The puncture repair was not helped by my lack of experience and me loosing the skewer bolt. I am so thankful to the tail end group. Timo, Brompton Rider and another gentleman (sorry couldn’t remember my name by this time) got me back on 2 wheels and found the skewer bolt. I have to say I thought I was relatively competent with my bike but in reality I struggled with a simple tyre change. A massive thank you to those who got me back and my bike. I really felt like leaving the bike and walking back to civilisation.

I am no Gentleman :eek: When we set off after your visit I did try and keep you talking to try and keep your mind off of the pain, I was a bit worried for you when I stopped again to help another rider. Glad you made it and well done.

Stevevw

PS Leave the nut and springs on the skewer and still through the wheel when you next need to remove a wheel. :tongue:

Tim Hall

saoirse50 said:
(VAR Tyre lever)

I've got one of these. Can someone tell me how you use it?
Jane

It's a two piece gadget. Slide the middle bit out. Look at the thin end. That's a standard tyre lever, albeit very thin (in one direction) and wide in the other. The hinge end of the other bit is also a standard tyre lever.

And they're really really good for getting tight tyres off - redjedi snapped a Park glass filled lever before I whipped my tool out.

So far so good.

When it comes to getting a tight tyre on, the outer bit works its magic. One end has a groove in it. Place the groove on that rim which already has its tyre bead in place. The other end has a hook. Place the hook under the bead that has to be replaced. Grasp the top of the lever and gently ease and lift the offending bead into place.

Simples.

TimO

Guru
stevevw said:
I am no Gentleman :eek: When we set off after your visit I did try and keep you talking to try and keep your mind off of the pain, I was a bit worried for you when I stopped again to help another rider. Glad you made it and well done. ...

I must admit, that once I knew Mista Preston was moving OK, I also whizzed off, although I was trying to give the waymarkers some awareness that they hadn't missed the end of the ride, and been left there! I've been stick for half an hour waymarking myself, and at that time of the night, you do start to wonder if somehow you missed a cry of "All Up!" and have been left in the middle of nowhere by yourself. :tongue:

Arthur

Comfortably numb and increasingly fixed.
This ride will, I’m sure, hold a special place in my memory, despite me spending half the night fervently wishing I was somewhere warm and dry instead.

The moon was shining when we set off and I wondered if the weather forecast had been a bit pessimistic. I soon discovered that it hadn’t.

My Altura waterproof jacket and my Nightvision waterproof gloves, both of which had performed well last winter, were no longer up to the job of coping with a deluge. My overshoes did manage to keep out the water right up to the point where I rode through a very deep puddle. Grrr, sodden feet.

The bacon sandwich and mug of tea at the Cabin café were extremely welcome and I really didn’t want to put those wet things back on when it was time to leave.

Although it had stopped raining by the time we left the Cabin I found the next hour or so the hardest of the night. My hands always suffer from the cold and, courtesy of my wet gloves, for a while I could hardly feel my fingers. Thankfully there was no sudden braking to do and, as my gloves started to dry, sensation gradually returned.

Just after it got light we passed a small river in flood, and some of the fields had a lot of surface water covering them. For a while we had blue skies and even a bit of sunshine, but a band of cloud hung menacingly over the coast and it rained again briefly as we rode into Brighton.

It was great to sit in the warmth of the Madeira café, one minute watching the sunlight playing on the waves, the next minute watching more rain lashing down onto the prom.

It was certainly a night to remember!

The photographs I managed to take are here

TimO

Guru
Arthur said:
... The photographs I managed to take are here

Oddly enough, I managed to miss many of the things you mentioned in the second half, but I often manage to miss things that others spot (probably not enough dodgy mushrooms in my diet. :eek:)

Quality shots though.
thumb_up.gif

Attachments

• thumb_up.gif
    thumb_up.gif
    190 bytes · Views: 27

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
TimO said:
Oddly enough, I managed to miss many of the things you mentioned in the second half, but I often manage to miss things that others spot (probably not enough dodgy mushrooms in my diet. :sad:)

Quality shots though.
thumb_up.gif
Hear hear. Pretty sure I'd have remembered the unicorn.....:tongue: Nice shots again Arthur, and Tim H (yup that is me next to Hummers), and Mista P (rather liked the one of the Viner).

I can only reiterate Simon's praise for the newbies- what a night for your first FNRttC (May was rather more pleasant...!!), didn't speak to most of you but hopefully I'll have the pleasure in future.

Attachments

• thumb_up.gif
    thumb_up.gif
    190 bytes · Views: 27
Top Bottom