FNRttC to Newhaven, Paris and Dieppe July 18, 19, 20 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
starts midnight July 18th, which is a Thursday, arrives Newhaven via Gatwick early Friday, travels to Dieppe by the morning LD Lines ferry, and then....

some people will return to London from Newhaven. Some people will spend the night in Dieppe and return to London*. Some people will spend the night in Dieppe and head northeast towards Belgium or southeast toward....somewhere else. Some people will spend the night in Dieppe and continue on toward Paris on Saturday morning, hoping to catch up with some other people will go on some 24 miles and spend the night in and around Saint-Saens, which is a completely lovely town.

Those travelling on to Paris may stay on the western outskirts of Paris on Saturday night. This is because getting in to Paris on Saturday afternoon is a bit grim. I'm looking for a hotel in the Cergy-Pontoise area.

Now....I'm getting the occasional e-mail on this, so I'm hoping that people will pass on tips from previous years. I know that the Formule 1 in Dieppe is cheap and quite civilised. I've got a list of chambre d'hotes in and around Saint-Saens, but could do with some recommendations.

The journey back will, of course, depend on where you end up, but some people will return to Dieppe from Paris by bike or by train, and some advice from others would be good. As for Eurostar from Paris to London - go to this thread and abandon hope...
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fnrttc-to-newhaven-dieppe-and-paris-2011.76270/

*Some people will go to Dieppe, get completely plastered, find themselves in hospital, abscond from said hospital and return to Blighty a little wiser...........

Happy New Year and Yes Please DZ! Email on its way, ferry already booked!

Mice :hello:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
just a short note to say that it's come one come all provided you've got CTC membership. I just need a rough count on numbers, so I'll not start a list until June or so.

martint235

Dog on a bike
starts midnight July 18th, which is a Thursday, arrives Newhaven via Gatwick early Friday, travels to Dieppe by the morning LD Lines ferry, and then....

some people will return to London from Newhaven. Some people will spend the night in Dieppe and return to London*. Some people will spend the night in Dieppe and head northeast towards Belgium or southeast toward....somewhere else. Some people will spend the night in Dieppe and continue on toward Paris on Saturday morning, hoping to catch up with some other people will go on some 24 miles and spend the night in and around Saint-Saens, which is a completely lovely town.

Those travelling on to Paris may stay on the western outskirts of Paris on Saturday night. This is because getting in to Paris on Saturday afternoon is a bit grim. I'm looking for a hotel in the Cergy-Pontoise area.

Now....I'm getting the occasional e-mail on this, so I'm hoping that people will pass on tips from previous years. I know that the Formule 1 in Dieppe is cheap and quite civilised. I've got a list of chambre d'hotes in and around Saint-Saens, but could do with some recommendations.

The journey back will, of course, depend on where you end up, but some people will return to Dieppe from Paris by bike or by train, and some advice from others would be good. As for Eurostar from Paris to London - go to this thread and abandon hope...
http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fnrttc-to-newhaven-dieppe-and-paris-2011.76270/

*Some people will go to Dieppe, get completely plastered, find themselves in hospital, abscond from said hospital and return to Blighty a little wiser...........
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it this year. Considering the events of last year:

1. It's highly unlikely I'd be able to get a pass.
2. It's a bit too close to LEL to be putting my body on the line in the name of entertainment of other people (well, IanM possibly didn't find it entertaining but others did!!)

wanda2010

Guru
Mice, what ferry have you booked? I'd like to do the whole trip, hitching my titch wagon to others :smile:.

I forgot to ask, is the Dellzeq method still relevant for this year's Paris/London by train section?

StuartG

slower but further
This is surely the FNRttC 'must do' ride. Upper Normandy is cycling nirvana (let's hope lower Normandy comes close in June).

Having done the Paris bit for two consecutive years I'm one of those thinking of hanging a left at Dieppe and trying to chase swarmcatcher up to somewhere like gorgeous Ghent. Maybe then Eurostar or Dunkirk ferry home. But if someone has better ideas then hanging a right or whatever is on ...

Mice, what ferry have you booked? I'd like to do the whole trip, hitching my titch wagon to others :smile:.

I forgot to ask, is the Dellzeq method still relevant for this year's Paris/London by train section?

Hahahaha, good plan Wanda2010! The ferry is the 1000hrs on Friday morning arriving Dieppe 1500hrs with LD Lines booked online via aferry.com or ldlines.co.uk/timetables/dieppe-newhaven

(I cant help with the Eurostar question)

Happy New Year! :cheers:

Mice :hello:

wanda2010

Guru
Ferry booked. For any of the wimmin Paris-bound am happy to share accommodation. I don't snore.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I've emailed separately about this, but anyway... There will be four of us for the London-Newhaven ride and we'll be booking our own ferry tickets. We leave you at Dieppe turning right and setting off on our own little tour to Normandy to celebrate my coming of age.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
I've booked the ferry ages ago :becool: (still traumatised by the last-minute-difficulties in 2011, when pedestrian and cycling tickets were sold out...)

Acutally, I've even booked two tickets. Katharina will skip the night ride but take the train to Newhaven and join for the leg in France. Our idea is to stick with the group until Saturday evening, skip Paris and add a few more days cycling in France.

Cheers
Olaf

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
This might be relevant for people less lucky than me, i.e. non-Brompton-riders. London Cycling Campaign reports on Facebook that Eurostar has changed its policy on carrying bikes:
"now they only let folding bikes on board, not full size ones in bike bags like they used to. You can send your bike as baggage, £30 a pop to be on your train, £25 for going on a train within 24hours."
Eurostar's cycling policy is here.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
boom! LD Lines had run out of bike spaces, but now have more bike spaces! We're taking the 10.am Friday sailing and coming back on the Sunday afternoon sailing

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
To mark the fact that this is the 100th Le Tour. The organisers are allowing 5000 cyclists to cycle around the Champ de Elysee a couple of hours before hopefully Chris Froome arrives to claim victory with Mark Cavendish diving across the line first! All the riders will be given a yellow jersey to mark the occassion and its only 5 euros to register here http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/animations-100th.html#larandonnee

Reactions: GM
Top Bottom