FNRttC FNRttC to Southwold 7th September

Discussion in 'CycleChat and Recreational Rides' started by dellzeqq, 13 Aug 2012.

1. dellzeqq

dellzeqq pre-talced and mighty

space is limited to 24, so registration will be by e-mail

We'll leave London via the Embankment, Aldwych, the Bow Flyover, Stratford, Ilford, Romford and Gidea Park and then go up and down some little stuff before crossing the M25 and going up the old A12 to Brentwood, which is the (not very) high point of the ride. We'll then head across country to Stock, Bicknacre and Maldon where there will be a brief (and I mean brief) stop at Tesco, before we get on to quiet roads through the Tolleshunts, Peldon and on to Mersea Island.

We'll be met on the beach at East Mersea by a landing craft, which will convey us across the River Colne to Brightlingsea. We'll then ride to Harwich in two groups - the first to catch the ferry to Felixstowe at 8.15, the second to catch the same ferry at 8.45 or so. We'll regroup in Felixstowe, get some breakfast and make our way to the Bawdsey ferry, crossing in four or more groups. From there we go to Snape for a snack (it's a bit of a shopping mall, but the service is quick) and then on to Walberswick and across to Southwold on the fourth and final ferry- I've got two or three alternative routes for the stretch to Westleton in mind, but it's going to be good.

This is a long ride - about 121 miles, and you're going to need to bring some sustenance with you if we are to keep moving and catch the Harwich to Felixstowe Ferry. I'm anticipating that it will be a little slower than last Friday's Harwich ride, but, equally, it's gong to be tiring. I'm hoping for a tailwind, but, if the weather is against us we're going to have to help each other out.

On the plus side - if the weather is decent it will be, by a stretch, the nicest ride we've ever done. Susie (who's up for this one) and I did it in a day and a half last year and loved it. Suffolk is my favourite cycling county, with Essex not far behind. The restriction on numbers means that I'll give priority to Fridays members, and I'm going to need a few experienced TECs. E-mails please, not posts on this thread.

2. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Guest

Shouldn't the second ferry (Harwich to Bawdsey) read Harwich to Felixstowe?

3. OP
    OP
    dellzeqq

you're right

Ferry 1 - Mersea to Brightlingsea
    Ferry 2 - Harwich to Felixstowe
    Ferry 3 - Felixstowe Golf Course to Bawdsey
    Ferry 4 - Walberswick to Southwold

4. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

Email sent.

How much do we need for ferries?

It will be an epic SMRbtH!!!

5. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I'm out i'm afraid.. my wedding anniversary

6. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

ignore my PM then

7. rb58

rb58 Enigma

Would love to have done this one, but I'll be partying that night.

8. OP
    OP
    dellzeqq

at a guess about fifteen quid. It's about a fiver for the landing craft (in consideration of the early start) about £5.50 for Harwich to Felixstowe, about £3.50 for the Felixstowe Ferry to Bawdsey trip and about £1.20 for the Walberswick Ferry.

9. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

As the destination is just up the road from Dunwich, why are we going this way rather than a variation on the Dun Run route? Busier & less scenic roads?

10. OP
    OP
    dellzeqq

my way is the best way. Not that you could get 600 cyclists across the Colne, Stour, Deben and Blyth.

I should have said - estimated time of arrival about 3pm. Return from Darsham (I'll be staying on in Walberswick for the night).

User10571 likes this.
  11. theclaud

theclaud It's teeceegawnmaaaad

Now, Stuart - write that out 100 times, and don't give Mr Dellzeqq any more of your lip. :smile:

Davywalnuts likes this.
  12. StuAff

StuAff Silencing his legs regularly

:smile:

13. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

That could make the SMRbtH a bit difficult not least because the name will be wrong. I may change my mind but at present I still think it's a goer. It may mean a Monday off work however,

14. Davywalnuts

Davywalnuts Chief Kebab Taster

You could always carry on to Norwich and get a train back from there... :thumbsup:

15. martint235

martint235 Dog on a bike

Ooh are you riding back from this one?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice