FNRttC FNRttC to Southwold 7th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tim Hall

Obviously dellz's way is the One True Way, but with a bit of jiggery pokery and eastward wandering you could increase the number of ferries to five, by going on the teeny ferry at Butley towards Orford.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1982081 said:
I'm proposing Adnams on arrival and breaking into any vacant beach huts for a bit of a lie down before returning one way or another.

Isn't this what they call a no-brainer?

Return from Darsham

On the day of the DunRun, they were only letting 7 cycles on the train from Darsham to Ipswich. There were already 6 on board, so they only let one get on (+ me and my sneaky folder). As far as I can tell, the 6 bikes (+ the one that got off at Darsham) were non-DunRun bikes.

IE if you are planning to go via Darsham, you might end up cycling to Ipswich. I assume that is what the dozens left on Darsham Station did on the 1st July.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Indeed. Shouldn't be any problems at Ipswich, there weren't for the DD last year (anything but, station manager was very helpful), let alone our much smaller number.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
On the day of the DunRun, they were only letting 7 cycles on the train from Darsham to Ipswich. There were already 6 on board, so they only let one get on (+ me and my sneaky folder). As far as I can tell, the 6 bikes (+ the one that got off at Darsham) were non-DunRun bikes.

IE if you are planning to go via Darsham, you might end up cycling to Ipswich. I assume that is what the dozens left on Darsham Station did on the 1st July.
see above. I'd have thought that only a dozen or so would be going back by train from Darsham - sixteen at the most. And beer consumption would spread them out over a few trains

theclaud

Openly Marxist
1982975 said:
I have just discovered that Adnams sponsor a leg of the Tour of Britain and it passes through Southwold on Sunday 9 Sep. I think this calls for staying over.

whoa! Fantastic news! Beer, bicycles all in the one day! Ta, Aide!

:cry:I can't make this ride. Will you PLEASE at least PRETEND that it isn't going to be the best one ever?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
The official line on the train from Darsham is that they will only let 2 on at a time and the trains are very infrequent. They made a special exception on the Dun Run night but as usual it all depends on on the guard on the day. Otherwise you options are cycle to Ipswich or Diss. BTW I can thoroughly recommend the cafe at Felixstowe ferry near the ferry crossing to Bawdsey.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
The official line on the train from Darsham is that they will only let 2 on at a time and the trains are very infrequent. They made a special exception on the Dun Run night but as usual it all depends on on the guard on the day. Otherwise you options are cycle to Ipswich or Diss. BTW I can thoroughly recommend the cafe at Felixstowe ferry near the ferry crossing to Bawdsey.
I've come back from Darsham any number of times and I've never seen a bike left on the platform, and that includes Dutch tourists with all manner of clobber on them. You can book tickets with bike spaces on Southern for eight quid at the moment.

A cafe near Felixstowe Ferry would be very good!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I've come back from Darsham any number of times and I've never seen a bike left on the platform, and that includes Dutch tourists with all manner of clobber on them.

A cafe near Felixstowe Ferry would be very good!

The cafe is just on the left once you have gone through the golf course and just past the Ferry Boat PH. If you miss it you are in the River Deben :thumbsup:

Top Bottom