FNRttC FNRttC to Southwold 7th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Oh what a joy to be offered opportunities like this one - and what a pain to have to faff around trying to find out whether our rail "network" is capable of getting me and my bike back home that night...

I may bring a tent.

Andrij

Über Member
While I don't mind a drink or two after (or during) a ride, I've found out the joint birthday bash we're doing at the office (there are 4 of us with birthdays in close proximity) will be 7 September. In theory, I could participate via a single drink, then quietly sneak off to prepare for this ride. In reality, I'll probably be blotto by sunset - not the best preparation for such a long ride. One of these days I'll manage to do one of the longer rides (as well as to the York-Hull ride).

martint235

Dog on a bike
Oh what a joy to be offered opportunities like this one - and what a pain to have to faff around trying to find out whether our rail "network" is capable of getting me and my bike back home that night...

I may bring a tent.
I got my ticket from Ipswich without any hassle at all. Then a short phone call and the bike also has a ticket. If you're coming back to London, just go to the Greater Anglia website.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ipswich isn't half way home, it's 35 miles from Southwold. Other than that, the ticket was £12 to relax in first class comfort knowing that Lelly is safely stowed in the guards van. Should I decide to cycle home, I can without wasting too much money. However, given an ETA in Southwold of 3pm, that would make it 10pm at the earliest to get home having been awake for 36 hours.

I trust you are cycling the whole way home then??? :whistle:

This must be a new ploy to avoid refreshment of the alcoholic kind..... my, what has happened to you? :boxing: hehehe

mistral

Guru
I'm on the 17:43 - it's been far too long without the company of the Fridays. Sounds like this could be a classic ride ...

PaulRide

Always at opposition
OK, I've just booked myself onto the 17.48 from Darsham and have been told that I've got a bike space. I may even be home within 24 hours of settling off! I fear there'll not be a great deal of Adnams time for me, unless we get to S'wold earlier than expected.

martint235

Dog on a bike
1995754 said:
Book via Southern to get the bike reservation at the same time.
Was Southern offering the really cheap fares? £8/£12?

martint235

Dog on a bike
1995765 said:
As accommodation in the vicinity wants a two night stay I am abandoning the staying over to watch the TOB. As you lot have taken the 17:40 bike spaces, I am now booked on the 19:40 from Halesworth. Home by bedtime. £16, bargain.
The major challenge is filling in the time between arrival and cycling to Halesworth and still being able to cycle to Halesworth. Tim Hunkin's amusements on the pier maybe?
Could be fun although I reckon I probably need to leave between 4.30 and 5pm to make the 19.09 from Ipswich.

EDIT: I'm assuming the A12 from Southwold to Ipswich isn't quite the nightmare it becomes later?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

Ess

If anyone wants to buy my £8 train ticket please PM me. Cheers
1748 - Darsham - Ipswich
1843 - Ipswich - Stratford

BigGee

Adrian - Susie and I are staying Reydon. Why don't you join us for a drink?

Martin - the A12 is a nightmare, but, happily, it can be largely avoided. This is a tried and tested DZ route - you have to get to Walberswick either by the ferry or by the path over the marshes (which is a delight) and then head for Westleton and Saxmundham. Then it's a bit of A12, then you hop off to Wickham Market (which has a bike shop) and then to Woodbridge. It's a bit of a hill out of Woodbridge, and it's not easy to find the minor road to Rushmere St. Andrew, but when you do it's a delight.

Agree the A12 on a saturday afternoon will be a nightmare, its single carraigeway up there with people driving very fast. You can actually avoid it completely by staying east of it. Back tracking our route a little down towards Dunwich and then through Leiston, Snape, Rendelsham and into Woodbridge that way. I cycled back to Ipswich after the DD this year by that route and it is a lovely ride.

I have just booked onto the 19.09 from Ipswich back to London, which should give plenty of time to do the ride back to Ipswich from Southwold. Tickets are still £8, a bargin!

BigGee

It sounds like you know the way! I'll just follow you!
:tongue:

Sounds good and hopefully we won't have a head wind like last time!

Its around 35 miles, so probably don't want to be leaving Southwold to long after 4pm, 3 hours should be comfortable and allow a bit of leeway as well as getting through Ipswich plus I'm probably not quite as fast as you!

Top Bottom