FNRttC: Whitstable - 12 April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Wishing you all a great ride.

kimble

Veteran
Yebbut we’re all jealous of your illuminated wheel. Should be mandatory for all TECs.

Oh yes! I caught a glimpse of it in my mirror at one point. Just the lights, no obvious sign of what it was attached to. The effect was of a disembodied zigzag of light zigging upwards. Pleasingly strange. :okay:

kimble

Veteran
Yup. And I expected it to get worse after the half way stop, but mysterious it didn’t. And it didn’t rain.

I counted 5 drops. Three to the face, two on the screen of the Garmin.

There was some weird sleety stuff at Chatham on the train back to London, but who cares, I was on a nice warm (if slightly urine-scented) train.

OP
OP
rb58

rb58

Enigma
On our ride back home I noticed quite a few wet roads, but never saw any rain. I think i’m charmed!

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
As I got back to Ally Pally station, there was some old train polluting the atmosphere:

Scot1.jpg Scot2.jpg

Redlight

A thoroughly good time had by all, I think. It certainly was chilly - my garmin readout has the temperature at below 0 from just after Gravesend until we dropped down into Strood - and not much higher for a while after we left the hall, despite the sun coming up. I was fine, apart from my fingers, which seem to go numb no matter what I try (this time it was a pair of thermal glove liners beneath a pair of supposedly all-weather gloves), but I did feel sorry for the lass with the trainers and ankle socks, who must have been frozen.

Very good company on the road and at the café afterwards. I did ride to the station with Greg, Jenny and Sarah with the intention of travelling back with them but I'm not sure what happened on the platform. I made a dash for an obviously empty carriage... while everyone else piled into a busy one. It's OK, I can take a hint. Got off (without any hassle) at Bromley and was home with a cup of tea 20 minutes later. Slept well last night!

Sadly, I don't think I can make the next couple of rides, but I'll be back in the summer.

Thanks to Ross for so capably getting us out of the urban jungle, Tim and Angela (I think) for looking after us so well at Strood, to our Tail End Charlies and everyone who stopped to mark junctions along the way.

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Due to popular demand- thanks Dave- usual rambling verbosity on nocturnal activity hereby follows. ;)

Not a usual FNR, if such a thing exists (well, no it doesn't, really) in so many ways. For a start, the usual post-work dash to the train wasn't actually a dash. The late shift made a whole four minutes (woo!) which meant I could get to the platform at a relative canter. Train was slightly late there, but actually arrived at Waterloo early. Usual loitering under the arch, where unlike Saarfend I was joined by a few others, which was nice, before making my way round to the NT, where a cast of lots awaited. Ross didn't need to go through the entire ride list to find out who was there, unlike Titus last time....

More unusual- this time, I was in the role of all-up man. I have been at the back a few times over the years- last time was Bristol-Barry last year. @GrumpyGregry and @sagefly were my TEC cohorts. I did have the thought that as I was in between Gregs, did that make me a sausage roll? :smile: I expressed my hope to Ross beforehand that we'd have a dull, boring night, in a good way. By which I obviously meant no-one having tyres made of cheese, no weird mechanicals, and no-one's 11-speed chain coming apart on Waterloo Bridge- though I was well prepared should this happen, can't remember why :whistle: Did we have a quiet night....er, not really.

The ride started off somewhat embarrassingly for the tail end, as we went the wrong way, though not for long. One of our newer riders had been trying to call her son, a first-timer who was running a bit late, and who didn't know this part of the smoke as well as he thought he did. She was going to wait for him and catch us up. Off we go, and head towards Blackfriars Bridge, oops, before turning back. Our little detour had the happy result that the young man had now turned up, so we were able to rejoin the route, and the rest of the ride, all together. First part of the ride was pleasingly uneventful, the odd encounter with local 'colour' (OK, drunks...) notwithstanding. Some of the new riders who took on waymarking duties were a little slow on the uptake when I called 'all-up' (and reticent I was not....), there was the odd little wait for them to catch on, but no harm done.

Early on, we were making very good time, and our thumbs were twiddling brakes and shifters not tyre levers. Only 'mechanical' was a chain drop on that footbridge after the rest stop in Plumstead. Couldn't last though, could it? Er, no, not with 70 or so riders, the odds were somewhat stacked against us. Crossing into Kent, one Greg's rear light packed up, so he borrowed one from the other. Someone managed to overcook a turn and needed to straighten his bars out afterwards, but was unhurt and finished the ride without problems. We did get as far out as Dartford before the first puncture though! We arrived on the 'Fastrack' bus route, and there was our first deflation. Just short of where the rest of the ride had gathered, as it happened. We got got going again, back with the group and pretty much off straight away.....then Titus's Garmin mount needing tightening. Once he got that sorted out, on we went. But not for long. In the vicinity of the Sainsbury's distribution centre, where I spent a little while waiting for the TECs waymarking on this ride last year, we came across Bob, whose front derailleur was no longer shifting, a spring having died of metal fatigue. Nothing could be done to sort this on the road, but he was OK to continue and would shift the front ring by hand as needed. He made it to the Waterfront in good spirits. On again, as far (in our case) as the road by Asda in Greenhithe- glamorous location, eh?- there was another puncture repair in progress. A collective effort soon got us going again.

Eventually, we got out of suburbia and out into the first countryside. And dark lanes. We were now seeing a lot of our mother and son combo- one or both were flagging a little, and their lights were of the 'seeing by' rather than 'seeing with' persuasion, so no good for confidence in those conditions. Unsurprisingly, their pace was gentle, and absolutely nothing wrong with that. They, too, would get to Whitstable just fine.

And then to Strood, and the Decker Emporium of Cakey Goodness. As ever, Tim and Angela had put on a fantastic spread. And it got pretty much demolished. Was rather pleased to see that bread pudding remained when the tail end arrived. Rather less of it was left when I was finished. After a slightly shorter than usual stop, on account of our late arrival, off we went again. Once Greg had reattached that borrowed light, at least. A touch more suburban schlepping, and off into quiet lanes again. And yet another puncture. This time, not one but two CO2 cartridges failed to get the tyre inflated- operator error, he admitted- but my trusty mini pump had no such problems. A chap made a couple of stops in an effort to stop his disc brakes slightly rubbing, but though I don't think he could get it sorted, he was still good to carry on.

Also good to carry on was @GrumpyGregry, on his first long ride in quite a while (first ride of any kind, I think), and was feeling the strain a bit. But we weren't exactly in a rush..a lovely morning with great views deserving of time taken to appreciate it.

On to Gravesend, where Ross had agreed (state of the ride permitting) that I would relinquish the all-up position after the final turn, so I could join the breakfast sprint. Titus graciously took over at the regroup in town, so I didn't even need to wait that long. Thanks chaps! In the headwind, pace was somewhat lacking and it was hard work, but good fun as always, and the thought of that excellent breakfast keeps me going. On to the Waterfront, a little later than Ross had planned, but not surprising under the circumstances, and we've certainly been later in the past. Neither the queue to order nor my wait for food were long, thankfully. As ever, the large Waterfront hit the spot.

Then round to the station in time for the 9.49 fast(er) train to St Pancras, sardines as usual. Over to Waterloo, where I am about a minute or so short of getting on the 11.30 train home (I'd probably have got on the platform but not the train before the doors were locked), so the noon service it was. Home and in bed just after two.

Thanks everyone. Will not be on the Maldon ride- gig at Wembley Arena Saturday night, and no decent cheap digs available, so it's just not possible to do both- but will be going to Barry, and Blackpool, and should be there for Cambridge. And for those who really, really like climbing, don't forget my IOW night ride. May 3. More hills than you can shake a stick at, with more bunny rabbits than cars.....

Last edited:
Top Bottom