focus, be-one or cube i cannot decide

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

savage

i have recently gotten right into cycling and do 40 miles a day on my daily commute. i have a crap Carrera Virtuoso which i foolishly bought four years ago because i knew no better.

as i am saving so much money with petrol etc and getting very fit at the same time my wife has allocated me a budget of £800 for a new steed.

my mate cannot see past Focus and i must admit the new Culebro is very nice although i am a bit worried about the Sram groupset cause i have never heard of it.

i like the Be one Storm which is shimano 105 as is the Cube Peloton. i just cannot decide what to buy.

the Culebro is favourite at the moment but the Focus Variado Expert is the same price and comes with Ultegra.

can anyone help me or pass tips and advice on what is best.

cheers

domtyler

Über Member
I have a Focus Cayo, 2006, can't really fault the bike, especially on value for money. Lovely to ride and very quick and comfortable for long distances.

Cycling Plus view of Cube Peloton

Hi Savage,

I've been reading the Sept edition of Cycling Plus and they reviewed the Cube Peloton against 5 others in it (not the Be One or Focus though).

Thought I'd add what they said in summary for you....assuming youve not seen it already...

Frame and Fork - 8/10 - Heaviest frame on test but will suit heavy, tall riders and in particular those who prefer a traditional, level top tube.
Handling - 9/10 - Stiff and lively bias suits racers better than those who are looking for an easy ride in a sportive, though comfort levels can be improved with a better seatpost.
Equipment - 10/10 - Ritchey kit sets the standard for others to follow and it's no heavier despite the triple chainset and the associated gears.
Wheels - 8/10 - Great Looking wheels that are rarely seen at this price point, though they are getting dated in terms of weight.

It's possibly the best looking bike in their test, which is something I like - it looks good in black and red and the black and red of the Fulcrum wheels. They finally said that the Cube 'majors on excitement factor and well equipped'

They were 3 others they rated as highly, for different though would that make choosing more confusing..............

Happy shopping

Craig

OP
OP
S

savage

Fletch456 said:
Hi Savage,

I've been reading the Sept edition of Cycling Plus and they reviewed the Cube Peloton against 5 others in it (not the Be One or Focus though).

Thought I'd add what they said in summary for you....assuming youve not seen it already...

Frame and Fork - 8/10 - Heaviest frame on test but will suit heavy, tall riders and in particular those who prefer a traditional, level top tube.
Handling - 9/10 - Stiff and lively bias suits racers better than those who are looking for an easy ride in a sportive, though comfort levels can be improved with a better seatpost.
Equipment - 10/10 - Ritchey kit sets the standard for others to follow and it's no heavier despite the triple chainset and the associated gears.
Wheels - 8/10 - Great Looking wheels that are rarely seen at this price point, though they are getting dated in terms of weight.

It's possibly the best looking bike in their test, which is something I like - it looks good in black and red and the black and red of the Fulcrum wheels. They finally said that the Cube 'majors on excitement factor and well equipped'

They were 3 others they rated as highly, for different though would that make choosing more confusing..............

Happy shopping

Craig

it is certainly a nice bike to look at and is well equipped. can anyone give me pointers on the pros and cons of the 105 groupset or the Sram Rival.

i have obviously heard of shimano but sram is a new name for me as a total beginner

Top Bottom