Foil blankets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I've just spotted in this thread that some people already carry foil blankets as part of their everyday kit. When I was knocked off one of the passers by who stopped was a member of mountain rescue and he had a foil blanket which he gave to the nurse who was already taking care of me. As I'm cold at the best of times I imagine it was very welcome!

When I get back on the bike I'm going to get some to keep in my panniers and my rack bag in case I come across someone who needs warming up. They're cheap to buy and I don't suppose they'll add much weight.

yello

I've always carried one on longer rides, though arguably more out of laziness than any other motivation. It's in my bar bag and it stays there - where it's potentially of more use than in a drawer at home. As you say Anne, they're very lightweight and take up no room.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I bought 8 in a pack from Amazon, worked out less than £1 each. I carry two and a survival bag (again really cheap on Amazon) with me on MTB rides - not so much for me, but others....

Last April, I came across a bad crash at Llandegla - weather was OK, but on top of the mountain it was ruddy freezing. Lass and lad in t-shirts - poor lass crashed and put the handlebars into her groin (no end plugs). Ended up giving her my waterproof to keep the wind off whilst we waited for air ambulance (also middle of covid) so I didn't expect to get the waterproof back. Fortunately it was delivered back to the visitor centre as I was leaving.

I now carry them, even on the road bike - they take up no space. They come individually wrapped, so just leave them in the protective plastic.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
A full size bin liner is a decent alternative. You poke a hole for your head and arms and wear it like a tabard. A lot less draughty that a foil blanket. I'd not put too much credence in the reflectiveness to heat of the foil; what matters i simply being wrapped up and keeping warm air in, and reducing evaporation if you're wet. Cooling from evaporation is the most dangerous. My caving emergency bag is simply plastic rather than magic foil, and is in a sealed bag which lives in my helmet. A heavy duty bag is better ... but the lightweight one in my helmet is a lot bet than a heavy duty one left in my car!

Roseland triker

Cheese ..... It's all about the cheese
Foil blanket and a large emergency poncho is in my kit.
Definitely worth having. Mine have done alot of miles but still going:laugh:

figbat

Slippery scientist
The group I ride with recently had a semi-serious incident to deal with - the lead rider on a fast, narrow downhill singletrack rode straight into a fallen tree. I was behind him and first to assess the situation - I have had various first aid training over the years but am not in any way 'qualified', however once we had extracted him he declared himself fit to continue but very quickly realised he wasn't so we had to stop. I waited with him whist others went to get a car to recover him and the bike. It was all dealt with (couple of broken ribs was the final outcome) but in hindsight I realised I was not equipped for any kind of incident, however minor.

Now I have put together a basic first aid kit, which includes a foil blanket as well as some antiseptic wipes, basic dressings, tape, a few steri-strips and a sling bandage. Not that any of these will have helped in the case I faced (maybe the blanket would) but it made me think about how unprepared I was and we were as a group.

A full size bin liner is a decent alternative. You poke a hole for your head and arms and wear it like a tabard. A lot less draughty that a foil blanket. I'd not put too much credence in the reflectiveness to heat of the foil; what matters i simply being wrapped up and keeping warm air in, and reducing evaporation if you're wet. Cooling from evaporation is the most dangerous. My caving emergency bag is simply plastic rather than magic foil, and is in a sealed bag which lives in my helmet. A heavy duty bag is better ... but the lightweight one in my helmet is a lot bet than a heavy duty one left in my car!
Bin bags are brilliant. Always gave a couple in my running bag - if you're doing a race in the cold just make a hole for your head and wear it like a poncho.

Foil blankets seem very draughty and surely keeping the wind out is an important factor.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Bin bags are brilliant. Always gave a couple in my running bag - if you're doing a race in the cold just make a hole for your head and wear it like a poncho.

Foil blankets seem very draughty and surely keeping the wind out is an important factor.

Maybe, but the injured rider I encountered couldn't move, having had part of her bars embedded in her - so blanket. PS the bin bag would end up used - 'oh no, we've run out of bin bags' - 'ah I have one in my rucksack' :okay: Certainly would in this house.

Top Bottom