Folded Bromptons In Hospitals, Or Locked Up In London?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by cosmicbike, 8 Jan 2019.

1. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Moderator

Has anyone got experience of taking a folded Brompton or similar into hospital? I'm up London tomorrow and was thinking of going by Brompton, but not really sure I want to leave it locked up outside?

2. annedonnelly

annedonnelly Girl from the North Country

I haven't but the sales assistant in the shop when I bought mine (she had road bikes and a Brompton) told me that she had visited her mother in a hospital in the north east and pushed the folded Brompton through to the ward.

When I've visited museums & galleries I've simply had a word with reception staff and they've usually found a quiet corner to put it.

cosmicbike likes this.
  3. Salty seadog

Salty seadog Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)

Well they let wheelchairs, pushchairs and buggies in. That's my argument when I wheel a bike into a shop. Only needed to deploy it once mind most places are OK

Blue Hills, Mrs M, mjr and 1 other person like this.
  4. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Can’t see why not if it’s not in the way such as if visiting as space round beds is bad enough when trying to do care. Just be nice and ask can I leave it out the way or in the Corner, back of the office. If your going to be round nurses you can get away with anything with free pens or chocolate. :smile:

JhnBssll, Justinitus and cosmicbike like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    cosmicbike

I'm seeing a consultant, so not going onto a ward. ATM since I'll be using Heathrow Express I'm going with proper bike and hoping to lock up on Russell Square/Queens Square, there's a few stands around there. I'd not like to lock the Brompton up there, but the commuter is very normal looking..

6. tom73

tom73 Über Member

Oh well that should not be a problem just fold it up and take it in with you if and when you do.

7. chriscross1966

chriscross1966 Senior Member

I take mine in with me into hospitals in Oxford and Swindon without an issue

cosmicbike likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    cosmicbike

Well that was a nice little ride, Paddington to GOSH. Thanks to @mjr for the route way back in October 2017:okay:
    No issues with the folded Brompton coming in, even got my photo taken with it:smile:

9. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

No worries. Glad the route worked. I guess I suggested https://cycle.travel/map/journey/44920 reversed and turning right from Tavistock Place down Hunter Street but I don't know :smile:

That's my reasoning too. I've never been challenged with the folding bike, but the hospitals I use it for are Cambridge and Norwich and the times I'm there, you've usually more chance of finding gold than a vacant proper bike parking space!

cosmicbike likes this.
  10. Salty seadog

I don't think I'd go inside a shop if It was in that state.

11. Salty seadog

Indeed, you should see the racks outside at Thomas hospital in London absolutely rammed. You'd be lucky to use them without damage and its got about 30 Sheffield stands in a line.

12. mjr

mjr Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Only 30!?!?! No wonder it's rammed! I suggest browsing around the Cambridge hospitals site https://mapstreetview.com/#v2amk_2zh5_7a.0_-jg43 if you'd like to see hundreds of racks absolutely rammed (well, pretty full - the streetview car used to visit places at very off-peak times and I assume it still does). There's at least 1700 bike spaces on that site, according to OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap, and I rarely see a vacant space and often see bikes locked to any reasonably fixed object.

13. Salty seadog

There are other smaller racks but this one is right by the main entrance. Not a patch on what you describe though.

14. OP
    OP
    cosmicbike

This one^. I was somewhat concerned as it's only the 2nd time I've ridden in London proper, but actually a nice easy route. Came back via New Cavendish Street & George Street, lots of traffic lights!

classic33 likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    cosmicbike

There was a single spare stand in Queens Square when I arrived. Not sure why I worried about taking the Brompton into the hospital, I was sat in the waiting room on the third floor when a chap came in wheeling a normal bike. Nobody batted an eyelid!

Last edited: 9 Jan 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice