Folded Bromptons In Hospitals, Or Locked Up In London?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Has anyone got experience of taking a folded Brompton or similar into hospital? I'm up London tomorrow and was thinking of going by Brompton, but not really sure I want to leave it locked up outside?

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I haven't but the sales assistant in the shop when I bought mine (she had road bikes and a Brompton) told me that she had visited her mother in a hospital in the north east and pushed the folded Brompton through to the ward.

When I've visited museums & galleries I've simply had a word with reception staff and they've usually found a quiet corner to put it.

tom73

Guru
Can’t see why not if it’s not in the way such as if visiting as space round beds is bad enough when trying to do care. Just be nice and ask can I leave it out the way or in the Corner, back of the office. If your going to be round nurses you can get away with anything with free pens or chocolate. :smile:

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm seeing a consultant, so not going onto a ward. ATM since I'll be using Heathrow Express I'm going with proper bike and hoping to lock up on Russell Square/Queens Square, there's a few stands around there. I'd not like to lock the Brompton up there, but the commuter is very normal looking..

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
No worries. Glad the route worked. I guess I suggested https://cycle.travel/map/journey/44920 reversed and turning right from Tavistock Place down Hunter Street but I don't know :smile:

Well they let wheelchairs, pushchairs and buggies in. That's my argument when I wheel a bike into a shop. Only needed to deploy it once mind most places are OK
That's my reasoning too. I've never been challenged with the folding bike, but the hospitals I use it for are Cambridge and Norwich and the times I'm there, you've usually more chance of finding gold than a vacant proper bike parking space!

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I had a shop assistant complain to me that "there's a bike rack outside, can't you use that?" when I took my folded Brompton inside.

The shop in question? Evans Cycles. Which is full of bikes. Including Bromptons. Admittedly the ones on display weren't dribbling muddy water everywhere, which mine was.

I don't think I'd go inside a shop if It was in that state.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Indeed, you should see the racks outside at Thomas hospital in London absolutely rammed. You'd be lucky to use them without damage and its got about 30 Sheffield stands in a line.
Only 30!?!?! No wonder it's rammed! I suggest browsing around the Cambridge hospitals site https://mapstreetview.com/#v2amk_2zh5_7a.0_-jg43 if you'd like to see hundreds of racks absolutely rammed (well, pretty full - the streetview car used to visit places at very off-peak times and I assume it still does). There's at least 1700 bike spaces on that site, according to OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap, and I rarely see a vacant space and often see bikes locked to any reasonably fixed object.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Only 30!?!?! No wonder it's rammed! I suggest browsing around the Cambridge hospitals site https://mapstreetview.com/#v2amk_2zh5_7a.0_-jg43 if you'd like to see hundreds of racks absolutely rammed (well, pretty full - the streetview car used to visit places at very off-peak times and I assume it still does). There's at least 1700 bike spaces on that site, according to OpenStreetMap/OpenCycleMap, and I rarely see a vacant space and often see bikes locked to any reasonably fixed object.

There are other smaller racks but this one is right by the main entrance. Not a patch on what you describe though.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
No worries. Glad the route worked. I guess I suggested https://cycle.travel/map/journey/44920 reversed and turning right from Tavistock Place down Hunter Street but I don't know :smile:

Out of Paddington up the ramp, straight ahead into London St, over A road (Sussex Gardens) into Sussex Place, first or second left (can't remember if the previoud is open to bikes) into Gloucester Square, straight on into Somers Crescent, left at end then right into Cambridge Square, right at end then left into Norfolk Crescent, left into Burwood Place, straight across A5 Edgware Road into Harrowby St, left at end then 2nd right into Crawford St, then signs for King's Cross should take you round the Marylebone High St one way to Weymouth St, then right at the end and left into Clipstone St and that should feed you to the left of the BT tower into the Bloomsbury cycleway. Keep following signs for King's Cross until Marchmont St (a few junctions after Tavistock Square), then turn right into that, left at the end, next right and the back of GOSH is in front of you. Turn left and follow the edge of the building until you reach your entrance.

This one^. I was somewhat concerned as it's only the 2nd time I've ridden in London proper, but actually a nice easy route. Came back via New Cavendish Street & George Street, lots of traffic lights!

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Indeed, you should see the racks outside at Thomas hospital in London absolutely rammed. You'd be lucky to use them without damage and its got about 30 Sheffield stands in a line.

There was a single spare stand in Queens Square when I arrived. Not sure why I worried about taking the Brompton into the hospital, I was sat in the waiting room on the third floor when a chap came in wheeling a normal bike. Nobody batted an eyelid!

Last edited:
Top Bottom