Folder advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The Dahon small-wheeled folders are OK too. I have a Vitesse, but I'd recommend getting the new version with a hub gear - mine is the old one and it is VERY noisy. Folds up OK though for the train, though I wouldn't say it was especially light, and I can't be bothered to take it regularly. It is the cheaper end Dahon though - they do lighter ones for more money! A guy on my train has a Dahon Curve, that's a nice bike. I use a NXEA local service though, which does have quite good bike provision - you don't always have to fold your folder.

I have a BSO that I leave at the station - well it's not THAT bad a bike, though it is going catastrophically rusty....

Frogbox

I've got a Dahon matrix which is basically a full sized 26" wheel mountian bike, which is fine for carrying on the train but maybe a bit heavy if you have to carry it other places.

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

Thanks for the advice.

Have agreed to visit shop for Brompton test ride on first decent day this week.

assume this goes well, just need to sort out the options.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Using the formula n+1 for how many bikes you need (n being number of bikes owned), my +1 would be a Brompton if I only had the money.

Got to be THE best fold. And not bad to ride. With regard to potholes, mostly you can look ahead and avoid them - a Brom is pretty nimble. And you can sort gearing and so on out to suit you, as Chris said.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Another vote for the Brompton. Mine is a M3 and it copes very well with a 15 mile commute in London. The 5 or 6 speed would be better.

Origamist

Legendary Member
With my username, I feel obligated to reply.

A few others to consider: Xootr Swift, Downtube, and Airnimal Joey. However, if space is severely restricted on the train,a Brompton, Mezzo, or Strida are your best bets. Birdys are very nice, but pricey.

I have done centuries on folding bikes, but they would not be my preferred choice for long distance rides...

A to B is good for info on folders:

http://www.atob.org.uk/

If you're really sad you can get a 56t carbon fibre chainring and fit it to your folding bike (like me)...

278484840_9359ae4c00.jpg

jack the lad

If you do get a Brompton don't get it with Schwalbe Stelvio tyres. Go for Marathons.

I've got Stelvios and puncture about 1 in 4 rides, even though I only do about 2 miles. They are just not fit for purpose given that Brommies will mostly be ridden in town. As changing a tube on a Brommie is not the easiest job in the world you want to avoid punctures at all costs.

Anybody want to buy a pair of hardly worn but Gruyere Cheese style Schwalbe Stelvios?

Apart from the tyres - brilliant.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
As might be expected I also endorse Brentford's finest product. My 10 year old L5 (M5L in modern parlance) is still going pretty well. As well as going in carriage end racks or vestibuls it will also slide between the seat backs on most trains, except those bl**dy 350/2 trains on London Midland. Puncture free since I found Marathon tyres. The Brompton yellows were OK as well but had shocking lack of grip in the wet etc.

Only time I've had to carry it folded has been when London Midland - is there a pattern here - decided they had to be folded at the station door. A vigorous campaign got that rule, driven by a couple of rail user group members with bees in their bonnets, reversed. The latest version of the ATOC Cycling by Train leaflet does however contain a statement that you may be required to fold your bike at the barrier.

Just ordered an M6R through C2W. If that lasts me ten years as well it'll see me into retirement.

OP
OP
lazyfatgit

lazyfatgit

Thanks for all the advice.

Took delivery of Brompton M6L this morning.
i'm looking forward to Monday now!

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have a Brompton and it's very handy. I would consider the Strida if I had to commute on a busy morning train and only had something like a mile to go at the other end.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a Dahon Speed P8 and love it. Doesn't fold as well as the Bromptons but does fold fine for my use. It also does ride very well........I have done a 45 mile ride and it coped fine (quite hilly too)

Woz!

I love my Brompton - I've got the 3 speed older model.
They can feel a bit twitchy at first, but this is useful in traffic for getting around obstructions.

The only downside I've ever noticed with mine is that while I was commuting with it I could guarantee that I'd be stopped at least 3 times a week at the station with people wanting to chat about my bike! And this was in Oxford where I would have thought they were fairly common!

Top Bottom