Folding and Unfolding a Brompton - how fast can this be done?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What colour is she/he, M?

Hello! It's an M6 in black. I tried the S but the handlebars aren't at the same height/position and Im a bit too tall for it/too long in my back or something. So the M6 it is. Love it, love it, love it! The only problem is that I am now spending at least 30 seconds unfolding it which is very uncool! Practice, Practice, Practice! Sorry, it's an It (innit?!)! And it's been on many trains.

Brill eh?!

M:hello:

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Seat up and locked; bars up and clamped then 'stirred' round to closeframe tube and clamp. Drop pannier on, flick out rear wheel then folding pedal and away. Ten seconds.

The variable is seatpost adjustment. Mine fits me perfectly with the post fully extended but fiddling to match a mark on the post or deal with extension might add five more. Lights adding time atm too.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1622685 said:
How far can a person push this one? Anyone found places or situations where the folded Brompton was still frowned upon?
Cuckfield Co-operative Stores.
BT Tower.
Cloakroom of the National Gallery.
Pallant Gallery Chichester.

To name but four.....

As to speed of fold, around 15 secs when I focus but usually a lot longer to unfold because the ruddy clamp plates still turn around like they did in the late 90's. Grrrrrr.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
1622685 said:
How far can a person push this one? Anyone found places or situations where the folded Brompton was still frowned upon?
Never, not even very posh restaurants.

As for speed, 8 seconds to unfold, 10 seconds to fold.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Cuckfield Co-operative Stores.
BT Tower.
Cloakroom of the National Gallery.
Pallant Gallery Chichester.

To name but four.....

As to speed of fold, around 15 secs when I focus but usually a lot longer to unfold because the ruddy clamp plates still turn around like they did in the late 90's. Grrrrrr.
without wanting to sound like your stalker, that's useful information. Thankyou.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Actually, thinking about this whole issue in the light (or should I say dark) of winter commuting, folding/unfolding time is fairly academic anyway.
By the time you've faffed with lights, backpacks, panniers, gloves, helmet etc., etc., (all of which you have had to detach to put the thing on public transport) the whole process is nearer 3 minutes.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think the front bag is very clever. For short walks you can leave it in situ. For longer walks you simply unclip it and presto. I leave the lights on, but I rotate the front light upward to stop it going in to the spokes. As for the rest - I wear the clothes that suit my destination.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The hub dynamo lights (the bottle dynamos are useless) are very useful in this respect - they just sit there and don't interrupt the fold at all.

Top Bottom